PLv7 Request/Suggestion: Clarity for when PLv7 is in (or not in) Local Adjustment mode

I’m NOT proposing that the BIG “Local Adjustments” button be returned - but, the new LA-mode is causing considerable confusion … Such as is expressed here.

1) It would be easier, and MUCH more obvious / intuitive for users, if the simple action of selecting the LA-tab were to auto-activate LA mode … rather than requiring one to manually select one of the LA-types.

2) Many users (me included) find it quite confusing when LA “widgets” remain on screen, even tho we’re NOT in LA mode

3) There doesn’t seem to be any useful/practical reason to remain in LA-mode when the LA tab is not active

Proposed solution:

The UX would be greatly enhanced if the LA-tab operated as a Local Adjustments mode toggle

That is;

• When the LA tab is selected [image] then LA-mode is auto-activated

• When a different tab is selected and the LA tab is inactive [image] then LA-mode is de-activated.

Result: Clarity of when LA-mode is active, or not … and user confusion is avoided.

I would add.the problem of changes made to many local adjustments only being seen when the mouse button is released needs urgently changing.

5 Likes

YES !! - - See here, John

2 Likes

Again, this is a no brainer!

1 Like

I like this request, and it should be very easy to implement!

1 Like

John

How do you see the implementation of occurence 1?
What type of mask will be proposed?

Let me remind you of DxO’s position.
“The user must be able to return to his Global settings during a Local correction”.

I subscribe to this view in my tutorials.
I see too many users rushing to LA before they’ve properly processed their image.

Perhaps DxO could offer a pop-up asking you to validate (and exit) the LA !?

Pascal

I agree with your proposal.

That there is a space between the various global tabs and the local adjustment one suggests a lack of confidence about LA’s nature. Is it another tab or a modal switch?

I find that it functions as a tab but that it causes too many usability issues as a result, including those arising from swapping between global and local adjustments. I would prefer that it worked as a modal switch and ease of use be maximised while in LA mode.

Swapping between local and global adjustments would be via this little Big button and need not break “The user must be able to return to his Global settings during a Local correction” (as mentioned by Pascal).

I am finding the additional burden of extra clicking and scrolling is making editing a lengthier and more frustrating process and I do hope that something more sensible is implemented.

David

4 Likes

That goal works perfectly well with this proposition, Pascal;

• When a user wishes to apply Global settings, he/she needs to switch away from the LA-tab - to one of the Global-mode tabs.

… … from this: image - LA tools accessible

… … to, say . : image - Global tools accessible

• The LA-tab does not remain active in this case - and, therefore, it makes perfect sense that LA-mode be de-activated too … with the LA-tab acting as a toggle to auto-activate/deactivate LA mode.

• In fact, there’s no point at all in LA-mode remaining active when the LA-tab does not have focus - because, in that case, the user does not have access to any of the LA-mode tools.

2 Likes

John

You’re right.
As it stands, DxO’s policy only allows you to modify the shape of the mask …
unless you create a personal palette of LA tools that can be accessed in parallel with your Global correction.
On my illustration, Global ClearView and Selective tone on LA at the same time.

Pascal

1 Like

The same behaviour as the old Local Adjustments button would be a good start.

And here’s an example of that confusion - as expressed by a user who (not unreasonably) assumes it’s a bug !

John, in that one sentence you define the issue completely. If only the developers could read your post any sensible person would change the behaviour.

Unfortunately I think the developers mindset is stuck on the old “on screen equaliser” UI where what they wanted was not a problem.

4 Likes

This suggestion unfortunately does not solve the problem when none of the tabs are selected and the local settings are displayed under my favorites or even as a separate free floating palette.
In that case, the big button had two very handy features that are now gone:
It indicated that Local Customizations are active and it provides the options to quickly turn LA on and off. At the same time, there is direct access to all global settings in the view.

Yes - I understand your point, Martin … Tho, I doubt many users at all would be using either of those techniques in the usage of Local Adjustments.

Regardless; as you say, the new implementation does not provide an intuitive user-experience …

Instead, it’s now quite convoluted and, therefore, confusing … For example;

• It’s not enough to have selected one of the LA-masks in the LA-list to be able to work with it … It’s also necessary to be in “LA-mode” … and that’s enabled only if one of the LA-tools in the LA-toolbar is selected; and it doesn’t even need to be the same LA-tool type as the LA-mask that one intends to work with … How is a new/inexperienced user expected work that out ? … It’s bizarre !

I’m sure DxO could come up with a much better, far less confusing, UI - and that’s my aim here.

2 Likes

I share your opinion and optimism. Current UX is less than ideal indeed and fixing can be done in software, because that is what software is for.

In global adjustments, all tools are active all the time, move a global slider and move on, that is all there is to it. In LA, an additional step is necessary though: Select the mask, move the local slider(s) and move on, either to another LA mask, slider or a GA slider etc.

(In global, not all tools switch on, when a slider is moved. that is another item that should be fixed for a more consistent UX.) @StevenL

1 Like

From a user standpoint, it is a bug. It’s a ‘sticky’ modal switch with no obvious way to exit the mode. At the very minimum, there needs to be a user-obvious way to do that. For instance, an ‘X’ to the right of the LA tools that de-highlights any that are lit - and exits LA mode if some other tab (e.g. color) is selected. Or a ‘hold mode’ on/off slider switch. Then, if a user wants LA active while they move away from that column, they can do that.
One lesson from 25+ years of building application software: users don’t do well with modes, even worse with ones that are ‘sticky’.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the applications that should do well with the users instead. :grin:

That was the point. Don’t use modes unless there’s no other way to do it - and if you do, then make it clear to the user they’re in a different mode (clear enough in PL7 as the cursor stays appropriate to the LA tool selected). My only issue is that there’s no clear way to exit LA mode.

…the blue toolbar button was useful after all and it might be an idea to bring in some kind of informational element or dropdown to the toolbar again. Let it be smaller though in order to fit DPL on small screens too…and make the toolbar customizable.

1 Like

You could do what image editing programs have done for years and simply add a “Base/Background /Image Layer” to the layers palette. It is a UI that is well established and familiar to many.

1 Like