Steam trains

Either that or a very big driver :rofl:

Moving the camera not rotating. I tried that once, no success.

George

You need at least a ⅓ overlap for each shot and, without a tripod a very good idea of the straight line you are going to follow parallel to the subject.

@willy1, this is my attempt. I’m still unhappy with the with windows. I continue to play around with it.

@George , yes, it is important to have a 90 degree and same distance in all single shots. Even if I’d had a tripod, it wouldn’t have worked with simple rotation. I would have had to carefully move the whole tripod with the camera to the right.

@HGF Download the dop-file in the correction (above) made by @Joanna. I find her result very good.

Willy

Could you take the same photo a little after sunset, so it is just starting to get dark outside? If you exposed for the locomotive, I’m wondering if that might get you an even better end result. Maybe. I’m just speculating.

This was taken on 22nd August 2022. Location is Couridjah on the NSW Rail Museum’s heritage loop line.

3 Likes

The photo was taken in 2006 !

Willy

1 Like

This photo was kindly made available to us by @Willy1 . The challenge is not just to take a new photo, but to get the best out of existing photos using DxO.

1 Like

I did and you’re right, Joanna version is really good. I think the Kärcher and the red iron rack could be a little bit darker to defocus it. But this my individual feeling only.

another moody color version

IMG_0283.CR2.dop (263,5 KB)

and in ‘historic’ B&W

PL7 → Nik SEP 7 + CEP 7*) → PL 7 to export in JPEG**)

*) now less grain (reedited the TIFF file / new JPEG)

**) both versions exported w/ Bicubic Sharper, which I don’t otherwise use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please don’t take offence but, why all those separate manipulations, when PL can do it all in one (with the FilmPack plugin)?

And, also, personally, I find the B&W is a bit “crunchy”. Did you use a grainy film emulation?

That last B&W photo @Wolfgang posted brings out all the detail I was struggling to see. I can’t say which is a “better” photograph, but I love the way I can now see all the things that were too dark in the color versions. If trading “color” for “detail” is what it takes, so be it. With the “grain”, making it “crunchy”, that just makes it look more like it came from a B&W film negative.

If I were wanting to hang this photo on my wall, that last version seems “perfect” to me.

… which is why I called it ‘historic’. Apart from that I prefer those Nik tools over FP.

( reedited the above B&W version )

Here’s one (an FS 260 from the 640 class) at Nizza Monferrato for some wine related festival in September 2020

Railway yard Lieren, entree steamloc depot (see picture 0283 above).
14-10-2006 Canon 30D.
Willy
IMG_0495.CR2 (7,5 MB)
IMG_0495.CR2.dop (11,7 KB)

Hi Willy

interesting image.

One immediate fault is that, when you cropped, you went outside the image area in the corners.

Other than that, here is my version…

And here is the DOP with my version as the second VC…

IMG_0495.CR2.dop (31,9 Ko)

I altered the aspect ratio ever so slightly to help recover the corners without having to export and fill.

@Joanna, after straighten I moved the crop to the left to keep most of the steamloc and the ratio of the image.
You did it fine. It was a difficult one.

Willy

I was pleasantly surprised to find those lovely sun rays in the sky