Steam trains

Who doesn’t like a steam train?

Here’s a view of part of the last steam locomotive built by British Railways, ‘Evening Star’, which is housed in the National Railway Museum in York, UK.

2 Likes

Here is another steamtrain yet in action. Section Emmerich (D) - Arnhem (NL).

3 Likes

Who does not love these old machines…

Here is one from my archive, shot in 1968 on Ilford FP4 from within a moving car on the Autobahn :sunglasses:.
Location is near Bad Oeynhausen in Germany.
In those days the track was electrified but the Deutsche Bahn still used steam engines occasionally.

OK, what happened to the rest of the train? :smiley:

I wish I could remember, but my short term memory is not as good as it used to be :rofl:

Mit toller Geschwindigkeit.

Very fast on section Arnhem-Zevenaar-Emmerich.

1 Like

Any thoughts on this shot?

1 Like

Memories of a childhood with my Hornby layout, which I reluctantly had to give away when I moved into a smaller house.

On the photographic side, have you thought of using focus stacking? That is, if it is still around.

It does look like a model railway doesn’t it?

However, it is another shot, of three full size locomotives, that I took at the NRM, York. It is the only image I’ve ever found where the ‘miniature effect’ feature in PL is actually of any use.

I need to find my original negative for this print, and scan it.
I love train photos, especially train photos.

A small part of my model railroad, that ran all the way around my living room. Another negative I need to find, along with so many others.

Well, it certainly had me fooled :crazy_face:

Deutsche Bundesbahn, Bahnhof Emmerich with steamloc serie 01.

I took this at the Egmore Railway Junction, in Chennai, India, in 2011. No steam trans in sight, but they did have an old steam locomotive on display that I found many years later.

The bright yellow commuter train was just pulling into the station. Some train engines and passenger cars can be seen at the right. Back then, I could go just about anywhere with my camera, in this case an old Nokia N8 phone (remember those?). I think I still have the phone, but doubt it still works.

Not that it matters, but the reason I was in Chennai was because that’s where a very good Nikon Repair Shop was located, and every so often I needed to take cameras from the hospital I volunteer at, drop them off, and hopefully the next day take another train back to Pondicherry, India, with a working camera or whatever. Great people - they could even fix cameras that in the US I was told were not repairable.

I took lots of photos, but looking back at them now, this is the only one that I liked. The photo was supposed to be of the railway station, but I wanted one “live train” in my photo.

(It may or may not be obvious, but I used PhotoLab’s tools to correct the rather annoying distortion.)

Sorry, off topic. No steam no show :roll_eyes:

Oops, steam, OK, let me look…

Three photos from the Colorado Railroad Museum

It’s not easy to properly show black locomotives photographed in bright sunlight.

I need to dig deeper to find my photos of Steam Trains in action.

True!

Though this one is more about steam and atmosphere rather than the loco itself.
Puffing Billy Railway, Melbourne, Australia.

1 Like

Barriers for trains and not for foot passengers?

George

The same loc in Alkmaar.

George

1 Like

India 2015 - train to nowhere

Stoker on a steam train

Steam train driver

1 Like

Foxfield Railway, near Stoke-on-Trent, England.

Now you see him…

Now you don’t…