Nik Collection 6.3 release

…although I had a parallel installation a while ago. I’ve posted about it here:
https://forum.dxo.com/t/nik-collection-4-by-dxo-ea-4-v4-0-3-is-available/18399/9

I thought i had a more detailed how-to…:thinking:

We never recommended nor supported parallel installation, on the contrary, in many support tickets we observed that THIS has been the cause of problem.
See our FAQ

Yes, I know that, but Nik 6.3 does not remove an older Nik and therefore, DxO has started to make parallel installations possible, which implies, imo, that DxO will have to provide support for such installations.

On my iMac, Nik versions 5 and 6.3 work side by side standalone and as Lightroom plugins (have not tested other configs) without apparent issues. Read more about it here:

2 Likes

Good news – bugs fixed! Your Fstoppers tutorial is all yours

By this weekend as a user of Nik Collection 6 you should have received your personalized code to download the free tutorial from Fstoppers.
Please accept our apologies if you have experienced problems retrieving your free tutorial over the last few days! Due to a small bug on the Fstoppers website, some customers were unable to trigger the download. This has now been fixed.
If you were unable to redeem your coupon, please try again.
Sorry if you have been affected! Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our support if you experience any further problems.
Ps: if you didn’t receive your codes make sure to receive informational messages as well as the latest on DxO’s offers, please sign up to our newsletter here or contact our customer service team
Warm regards,
The DxO Team

1 Like

Parallel installation?
Is that the reason why I am seeing two Nik Collections in my Affinity Photo (both version 1 and 2 - illustration in AP2

Is there any way I can get rid of the older Nik Collection? The uninstaller of v6.3 removed nothing, so I removed the Nik Collection folder manually, but still it shows up in Affinity Photo. Even a Find operation cannot detect any Nik Collection folder.

1 Like

maybe check this (shown in AP2)

and deactivate …

yes, go in setting, photoshop plugin, and click see folder, delete the old one (keep nik collection 6 which is the new one).

@mikerofoto + @Wolfgang

Thanks for your input, guys! :+1:
This is the current situation in my AP2 settings, no folders at all are shown, only a slash ( / ) under Plugin Support folders:

At present, I only see the old Nik Collection folder, probably because I have been following @Platypus’s guidelines, and have already deleted (too many?) Nik6 files? And: not one of those older Nik plugins are ‘active’!

I’m going to continue working on this tomorrow morning, when it’s hopefully a bit cooler. It’s almost 27°C in our office right now. :unamused:

it’s right in front of you =]
“open default folder in finder” which will open where the plugins are, that’s where you’ll get both Nik folder. keep the nik collection 6 folder, then when you restart AP, you’ll have only 1 plugin list.

*** unless you installed the other Nik plugin somewhere else, then that is where you’ll have to go and delete it.
Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 3.31.14 PM

@mikerofoto Thank you: that did the trick! :slightly_smiling_face:
At least there’s currently no more mention of Nik in AP2.
I’m now going to check AP1, and do the same, if necessary.
Then I’ll get back to Platypus’s instructions to get rid of the very last bit of Nik. And finally I will reinstall Nik 6.3 and hope everything is as I would like it. :+1:

Final report: situation is now as I wanted it: just one copy of Nik, the latest and greatest. No ‘parallel installations’ for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

glad it worked.
I’m not sure why you still run AP1 while you have AP2?

Wolfgang,

Yeah I have decided to change my workflow a bit when using Nik Collection. I can either use it from DXO PL or as an external editor from ACDSee. Actually is better than using as a plug-in in ACDSee because if used as a plug-in I can’t go back and make changes if required without losing all of my existing changes. Using as an external program allows me to check the non-destructive edits box so that I can make changes if required. So will upgrade to Nik Collection 6 after all.

not sure how they’ll do that, but having Nik to write adjustment to the .xmp sidecar would be an awesome thing.

Well… that’s a long story. I’m English, living in Belgium and married to a Belgian lady speaking Dutch. I’m the “IT Guy”, while my wife is much more of a photographer than I am, although I also make photos. We both had Photoshop as ‘permanent license’ (as of PS v.3!), and we both had invested a lot of money and time by means of keeping our programs updated, following courses, etc.
But then Adobe switched to subscription only, and I still refuse to follow; we’re meanwhile over 70 yrs of age.
So: DxO, Affinity Photo…
Unfortunately Affinity Photo does not have a Dutch version (the language we speak in the North of Belgium), so I (who have given Mac courses in diverse programs), was able to get her from Photoshop to Affinity Photo. So far, so good, and she really sticks to the ‘manual’ I made for her in Dutch.
But then came AP v.2 and currently I am updating her Dutch ‘manual’ but, as long as I haven’t got her entirely onto v.2, have to make sure she can develop and postprocess her photos in the program she is familiar with. We both have AP1 and AP2.
We’ll get there, but give her some time. :wink:

i did the same, I wish apple would had kept it’s photo editor =/
AP is a bit different but you can achieve almost the same, and there’s the other Adobe rival software, if they make it to the market, Abode software:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/culturehustle/abode-a-suite-of-world-class-design-and-photography-tools

can’t wait to see how they’ll do

1 Like

We have no idea what he’s developing or how it would look or work or how it would compare to anything that currently exists. We also have no idea when it might hit the market assuming he gets enough funding and ever completes it. Until then, there is no real product that people can use and compare, it’s just so much air.

Iterestingly, he named the company Abode, a very slight play on Adobe, and he uses virtually the same graphic A with a slight modification. I find that very suspect, but if this guy is legitimate, the name and branding for his new company is certainly not creative and is probably a copyright infringement.

I believe If he ever gets off the ground with this project and continues to use that name and graphic for his business he will be sued by Adobe and would probably lose. Of course, the whole thing could just be a spoof of kickstarter projects. I didn’t really spend the time reading the entire thing to see if it’s just a joke.

Mark

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Like this, seemingly one man effort, is ever going to compete with Adobe’s products.

there’s more than one man on that project. but that will be interesting how it all comes out.