Lighthouses

It’s like I’m wasting my breath. Okay Mike I’m not going to beat you up over this. It’s not your fault. It’s the way you’re wired. We’ve been down this road before and you’re just not capable of understanding why people get so annoyed with you. I am just trying to help you so we all have a better experience communicating with you.

Asking the question you did in this thread it’s not a bad thing in itself, it is just one more small example of how you’ve always behaved since you got here, never taking any personal responsibility for educating yourself.

Just remember the next time somebody rags on you, that there is a very specific set of reasons why. Hopefully you’re still capable of some personal growth.

Mark

3 Likes

Morecambe Lighthouse, is a 36-foot (10.97m) tall octagonal lighthouse, designed by Thomas Stevenson, a pioneering Scottish civil engineer and lighthouse designer and was built in 1815.
The lighthouse overlooks the Irish Sea at Morecambe Bay in Lancashire, North West England.

2 Likes

From Denmark, 1 view of Lyngvig lighthouse

2 Likes

Denmark too, 2 views of Hirtshals lighthouse

2 Likes

Denmark (cont.) 3 of Bovbjerg lighthouse

2 Likes

and one more of Skagen lighthouse and the shore

1 Like

I love the various coloring in the sky, and the structure, and I like the way the fence takes me right into the scene. I wish you had found a way to exclude the boring building at the left - it “spoils” the photo for me.

I sort of prefer just the center of this image, without the building at the left, and excluding a little at the right… I think a little fiddling with the PhotoLab controls can make this a very stunning image.

I wish I had more scenes like these in Miami Beach. You’ve got a “photographer’s paradise”!

I hope so too. I’ve got books and manuals and photographic bits and pieces splattered all around me, and while it’s a struggle, eventually things start to make sense. Every so often, I start to wonder “why”? I guess because it’s a challenge, and because most of the time I learn how to use things in a better way than before.

I agree. I’d rather spend my time on things that matter to me, not mere curiosity.

Someplace up on my list, is trying to understand the “reshape tool”, and to be able to create long exposure photos like what @Joanna posted up above. I’m not going to worry about them until I get caught up on other things.

Cela me rappelle que nous devrions essayer d’organiser une rencontre un jour prochain. Helen et moi serions ravis d’explorer ton coin :smiley:

Simply sublime. At the end of the stone jetty with the Midland hotel in the background.

I love the composition and the lighting. Helen also, because she was brought up in that area for part of her life.

Boring building???!!! That 's one of the most beautiful Art Deco hotels around. You really need to research before you insult stunning architecture like this.

So yes, it is a wonderful building - but are you suggesting it adds something to the photo we are discussing? I’m not insulting anything, to me, in this photo, it looks like a boring building taking away from the purpose of this photograph.

I’ve never heard of it, and I had a one-track mind, the photo, as posted. In that photo, to me, it looked like a boring distraction.

I told you a million times I never exaggerate. :slight_smile:

Absolutely. It locates the lighthouse, at least to those who take the time to see it. And let me remind you of all the “distractions” you have included in many of your images.

Well, if nothing else, now you know why I’m more sensitive to “distractions”.

If it was deliberately included for the reasons you now mention, then I am wrong.

My current thought is that if “distractions” add to the impact of an image that is good.
If they were not included deliberately, then maybe it was wrong.

That you have said so much about that building, and not much about the main subject of the photograph (as I think it is), is also interesting.

I’d like to ask you if this building adds to, or detracts from, the image.

It may or may not seem like it, but I usually (but not always) try to use your advice, and not do things contrary to your advice. That led to my cropping the image as I did.

I’m anxious to read what the photographer, @mrcrustacean thinks about all this.

Back to me - for better or worse, I do try to USE your advice, but I do not try to COPY your advice. I often wonder to myself what my potential photo is of, and what things I should try to include or exclude. Maybe you can please say more about this when you get a chance.

Huh? You really need to look up the definition of the word distraction. :pleading_face:

Mark

Yes, I already know that, which is why I wrote what I did:

a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention to something else.

Do you understand, or should I translate?

@Joanna is right, and I often do that, sometimes deliberately, but maybe doing so is wrong, even if I had my reasons for doing so.

The most south west part of Portugal. Every night it’s crowded with people watching sunset.

The ancient Greek thought this was the end of the world.

George

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I don’t have the pretension to have much to teach.
I’m more of a follower of the teachings of the great yachtsman Eric Tabarly: watch and do. Photography for me is all about feeling, instinct, emotion, chance, ephermere.
Explain why left or right, why, why I don’t know! I’ve done it.

:+1: :ok_hand: :beers:or :clinking_glasses:

All of the above.

Two quick thoughts.
First thought - I agree with you.
Second thought - photography is also a universal language, and the better you can express your feelings and thoughts, the more likely it is that others will understand. PhotoLab, and the other image editors, are just tools to allow you to express yourself in ways that other will be more likely to understand, and appreciate.

We all go about it in different ways. Some people here, such as Joanna, needs to know enough about her camera to get it to express what she is trying to communicate. As for me, I want to learn ALL the “stuff” that is built into my camera, so I can select “the best tool for what I’m trying to do”.

I think Joanna is thinking mostly of the end result.
I usually have an “end result” in mind, and I’m thinking of all the possible ways to achieve it.

Some of my cameras (such as my Leica) have very few controls.
Others, such as my newer Nikons, have more controls than I can even remember.

Even more importantly, some people here are VERY talented.
Others, including myself, are much less talented.

Back to you - ignore everything I have just written, and keep on doing what you’re already doing. But, maybe consider this before pressing the “Reply” button, and think of ways you can further improve your image, to share it here. I usually take a short break, then come back to the image before actually posting it, and think about what I can still do to improve it. Just me. Just a habit. Being spontaneous might be even better. I dunno…

I would imagine, that Florida is full of wonderful places to take photographs?

Taking a virtual walk around on Google Street View, I would say there’s enough there to keep me busy for a few years.