Lighthouses

After @J3rry’s photo of Skagen and mine of Binic, how about a thread dedicated to lighthouses?

Here’s another from me taken at Petit Minou in Brittany…

5 Likes

The Lower Light, Fleetwood, Lancashire, England.

3 Likes

My contribution: Texel 2021

5 Likes

Hirtshals in Nordjuetland/Daenemark

2 Likes

The Brandaris West-Terschelling NL.

3 Likes

Souter Lighthouse, UK

3 Likes

Sunderland Lighthouse, UK

3 Likes

New Brighton Lighthouse, River Mersey, England

2 Likes

Ah yes, with Seaforth Dock in the background, also known as Perch Rock. We (my friend Helen and I) did several studies there with our LF cameras.

https://grandes-images.com/en/Landscape/Pages/Perch_Rock.html

A set of lovely images Joanna!

Here’s a (now inactive, I think) lighthouse “La Tour des Anglais”, taken in 2018 from the Le Lenn, Penerf. Graduated ND to accentuate the sunset (this is one of a set of frames I was hoping to use for an HDR composition), and a Control Point over the lighthouse itself to allow for the backlight. C&C welcome.

3 Likes

Shot in Travemünde in 2022.
I would give the picture the title: “Modern proportions”

4 Likes

@Joanna , nothing to do with lighthouses, but I love “Victoria Baths - Pipes and Valves under Swimming Pools” in B&W. :+1:

@mrcrustacean Thank you Patrick

Interesting. We’ve not yet travelled to that part of Brittany. Worth investigating.

Ah yes, “mini-lights” that can be found at harbour and river entrances.

Thank you. At the time, I was running the UKLFPG (UK Large Format Photographers Group) and we were fortunate enough to gain access to the entire building for a group of about ten members who were local enough.…

Darned camera shy these LF photographers :crazy_face:

Back to the subject in hand. Here’s another mini-lighthouse - more properly called a balise. It is called Phare de la Pointe à l’Aigle and is situated on the mouth of the Gouët river just outside St Brieuc…

1 Like

@Joanna , I have checked the horizon, it is horizontal. i.e. the lighthouse is tilted and leans to the right. (Or I need new glasses)

2013 - Malta

2 Likes

Darn!!! I took ages trying to get it right - mainly because of the white conduit down the left side giving an optical illusion. I’ve replaced it. See what you think now.

@Joanna , I didn’t mean to say that this needs to be corrected. Maybe the tower is naturally crooked. It may be is an old building that have leaned over time. Nevertheless, in the picture my eyes tell me that the tower is leaning to the right. According to the grid, however, it falls to the left. So new glasses after all.

I have heard (from my late father-in-law, who was born in nearby Questembert) that Penerf was the runner-up in the choice of home port for the Compagnie de l’Orient. It’s easier to find a parking place, even in the summer, than in the winner - Lorient.