Lighthouses

Remember that saying, “the grass is always greener…”

The “issue” is probably me, not Florida.
Of course, my photographic inspiration is inversely proportional to the temperature.

I do better in India, than at home.
…or Nepal, or Thailand, or Italy, or even Canada.

Perhaps this weekend I will attempt to capture an acceptable phot of the structure that replaced the beautiful lighthouse that used to be at the southernmost tip of Miami Beach. I think it is flat out ugly. 40 years ago, I visited it in the early morning, but didn’t bring a camera. Now that it’s gone, I can kick myself.

I know of several lighthouses in India, but never had a chance to get out of a car, and walk around to get something I liked. Later this year, I will make up for that lapse.

If it is that ugly, why waste your time?

Mark

Good question, Mark. I liked the old lighthouse that they tore down to build this new “thing”. The city held a competition, to see who could come up with the best design, and that’s how it came to be.

I think it is flat out ugly, but who knows, all of you might rave about how beautiful it is. For better or worse, I’ll try to get a good photo that I like, even if I don’t like the subject. You can give me your thoughts, please.

Considering that I think most 2024 cars look like horrible match boxes, and I think 1960’s cars look fantastic, that tells you where my mindset is. I like old stuff I grew up with. I don’t like a lot of things I’m stuck with nowadays. But my calendar tells me it’s no longer the 1960’s, once I walk out my front door at least.

Funny story - I was struggling to configure the radio in my (used) 2020 Mazda3. My neighbor asked me why bother - nobody listens to radio any more. Everyone uses “streaming”. I told him that maybe I am a dinosaur, but I’ve used radios all my life and I want to use the one that came with my car. Insane - there is nothing in the owners manual about the radio, and it took three calls to Mazda Customer Service to find someone who could send me the proper instructions. Everything on this silly car is computerized. Gack. I wish I still had my 1980’s Volvo 240. Or, better yet, my 1960 MGA Coupe.

Anyway, sorry for the diversion. When the oncoming storm goes by, I’ll try to get a photo of the fake lighthouse or whatever they call it. I already have photos, but I’ll try to make it look better.

No wonder I enjoy my Leica so much.

Except, from what I can find, it is a sculpture and not a lighthouse replacement

Very true. Lighthouse Replacement. If you strongly feel that photo does not belong here, I’ll forget this idea.

" Ostinate Lighthouse" - To me, it’s a shame that the city tore down the original lighthouse, which was part of the history of Miami Beach. I think landmarks should be restored, not replaced.

I’ll forget about this …ugly thing… and let this topic continue with real light houses. Sorry for the interruption. Mark was correct.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. It is actually an abstract sculpture of a lighthouse, which I find very interesting. Since you have difficulty understanding and appreciating abstracts in general, as well as art that does not represent or look like real physical objects, this is not surprising.

Mark

Please: STOP!
Enough of your posts absolutely out of subject.

Here are several lighthouses :
Le phare de Verzenay in Champagne

Le phare de Port-Manech

Le phare du Cap de la Hague

The most beautiful in the world : le phare de Cordouan :

The lighthouse that smokes !

2 Likes

Phare de Portzic, near Brest…

… or, at least, from as close as one can get without being too close to photograph it :wink:

2 Likes

:wink: … The same “Phare du Portzic” but seen from the “Pointe des Espagnols” or on board a boat… :wink:

3 Likes

Here are a couple of photos taken at the Marblehead Lighthouse on Lake Erie in Ohio.

This one is a typical postcard-style picture taken on a very nice day:

This one was shot minutes after a violent thunderstorm, with the sun starting to peek out through the dark clouds:

2 Likes

I like all these pictures and particularly those mixing sailships and lighthouses. I had mines to the thread, from Goury, Normandy, France

5 Likes

Sorry, I add these

correction of “had” as “stuck” guessed it

Why are you apologising?

He’s correcting his typo:

@BenoitG you can edit your original post rather than creating a new reply. Click on the pencil icon to the left of the Reply button.

And some from other lighthouses, in Canada: Peggy’s cove, NS

1 Like

Newfoundland

1 Like

Québec

1 Like

Southern Norway, Lindesnes fyr, Sør-Norge

1 Like

Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, A lighthouse in Langlade island