Differences Win / Mac

Yes from what I understood, but a Mac users can confirm.

`Curiouser and curiouser !’ cried Alice

1 Like

Post an image file for us to check.

I posted one at the start of this PL not reading distance from Sony ARW

any Sony .ARW from dpreview will do

DPL 6.7 on macOS does not read the distance either.

This is what DPL shows with a module installed:

Distance is not recognised and the slider is activated.

Without a module, DPL shows this:

The slider is inactive, there’s no module anyway :exploding_head:

Did another test, read about it here:

at least the code base OK - because it will be too strange even for DxO to differ between platforms in this matter … the situation with Fuji raw files and lenses like 35mm ( where distortion is visibly different based on variation in focusing distance ) is much worse - there is no way to manually fix the problem like with Sony by correcting DOP files …

It looks like we do have one less Win Mac difference, they just need to fix the ability of PL to read the distance in both program’s again. Support have again passed it back to the developer but I suspect neather program will get distance back very soon if they have to look.for distance information in a diffrent way, as done by other program’s that can get it with no problem

Under Windows, the absence of shooting distance is not systematic: for some lenses, the distance is indeed found.

Ok I just checked and whatever the lens, I’m still on “infinite”.
Should this be dependent on the camera + lens couple too ?

I found one kit lense it works on but with 5 other’s
not. It used to work but it was taken off rather than DXO make some changes as they said there were problems. Nothing like the problems for the lense users them not geting the distance working again.

Which ones work or not ?
What is your camera ?

I have a6000 and a64000. The only lenses I found to work is Sonykit lense 55-210 and Tamron 11-20. Not working are Sony 90mm macro, 70-350, 16-70 my wife had some but as she got rid of her camera and lenses I don’t have a record of them but there was a Sony short macro, kit 16-50 that didn’t work and a longer one.

Yes. Not all cameras provide recording a distance, no matter which lens. And likewise, not all lenses (especially the manual ones, and here the contactless Laowas and the like) can measure the distance of the focus unit and give the data towards the camera. Usually the lenses with focus limiter have some sort of distance estimation, else the limiter would be pointless.

Also, although some “distance readouts” provide a number with 4 or more digits behind the decimal, these values still are estimations, approximated values. And as it is in the EXIF jungle, there are more than one values. Had to use the PC apps in the office:

Left Affinity Photo, Right Adobe Bridge:

Subject distance in AP is “more precise”, at least delivers one digit more right of the decimal.
XMP has in AP the same value, whereas Bridge’s “Distance range to the subject” is rather clueless.

I had to check 5 different cameras to find one deliveringa value.

Short answer

• Yes

Long answer

• Lens and body talk to each other. Understanding can be limited due to different firmware versions used in the lens and the body. I’ve seen such differences in files written by my old Canon 5D when I used it with lenses that had been released after the latest camera firmware release date. Newer cameras and firmware versions can fill such gaps, but not all manufacturers provide updates for older bodies. :person_shrugging:

Nevertheless, this will affect PhotoLab independently on both Win and Mac platforms.

And for the lenses (at least the genuine ones) it’s even worse.

reading focusing distance shall depend on camera model - firmware writes ( or not ) that info in the same tag for a given camera model regardless of the lens ( that can be checked using exiftool - worst case if it is some 3rd party lens that can’t properly communicate w/ the body there will be no real data in that tag )… now if DxO PL6 for a given camera model can read -OR- not the data from that tag based on DxO body+lens module installed then it is a rather odd call on their part

they do round up data from that tag… the proper way is to use exiftool to see the exact value…

I am not sure that I can find raw file @ dpreview from those models and those lenses to download - do you mind to share please one raw file where you say DxO PL6 can get the distance out of .ARW - very curious to test how it works, thank you !

No. There is no “exact value”, as no camera in the consumer range is a calibrated distance measuring device.