Differences Win / Mac

I am not sure that I can find raw file @ dpreview from those models and those lenses to download - do you mind to share please one raw file where you say DxO PL6 can get the distance out of .ARW - very curious to test how it works, thank you !

No. There is no “exact value”, as no camera in the consumer range is a calibrated distance measuring device.

Nice idea to remind DxO that most serious softwares are identical on all platforms (even if the new mac cpus took a little while to be fully exploited at the time of their release - as every new technology needs), but I REALLY hope DxO is fully aware of what those differences are (of what they are doing !) …

Aren’t they ? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Will do latter as I am out for rest of day

An aprox distance is much better than none

1 Like

Maybe you will find something here 138 Free RAW Photos & Files: Download to Practice Editing, but I haven’t cross checked

Have fun

The unsupported distance is not only on the E-mount, but also on the A-mount.
For the E mount, I have two correctly recognized lenses: 70-200 f/4 G, and (curiously) 50 f/2.8 macro A with LA-EA ring.
For these two lenses, the distortion correction is automatic (no distance adjustment slider) and exact.
For all my other lenses, the slider is present and I have to adjust the distance.

On lenses used in E mount, the problem is the same on the A7RII and A7RIII cameras. So it seems quite independent of the camera… in my case.

1 Like

Normally… Normally with third party lenses fitted to Sony E/FE cameras, there should be no communication issues as the specifications are “open” by Sony.
(of course for the lenses which have the contacts to transmit the information).

Tamron 11-20mm
_DSC9256.ARW (23.7 MB)

Sony 55-210 Both just took taken with a6400
_DSC9255.ARW (24.0 MB)

yes, but the DxO (and others, including manfufacturers themselves) provides different distortion correction based on that distance … so we have to use it , have access to it

I will be able to check after US EST business hours, so keep alive till EOB thx…

I wonder how many users dont know there corrections have distance and related corrections missing. They were taken aeay without users being told and although thevisue was being passed upwords in 2020 nothing has been heard since on the removed distance being restored.

That might get more difficult with the arrival of granchildren!

OK, DOP file that DxO creates shows DistortionFocus = 128 … so DxO in fact either does not read the focusing distance or optics correction module has just one set of corrections regardless or some other matter

Why DxO PL6 does not show focusing distance tool ???

May be a bug … FocusDistance2 tag has value = 27.3182090343536 (27.32m)

OK, DOP file that DxO creates shows DistortionFocus = 128 again

.ARW file has FocusDistance2 value as “INF” which sounds like “DistortionFocus = 128” was correct but given the other raw I am not sure if DxO PL6 actually reads the tag or simply puts 128 regardless of what is in there …

in any case the ultimate proof that DxO PL6 can deal with Sony FocusDistance2 tags will be to find .ARW where PL6 read raw and put something other than “DistortionFocus = 128” … otherwise it simply sounds that for some camera models ( and may + optics modules ) there is yet another bug in DxO

@John7 can you focus one of those cameras w/ those lenses close to 1 - 2 meter shot a raw and post ( or check that PL6 still writes “DistortionFocus = 128” even for such close focusing distance ) ?

1 Like

what I did is I modified the source of FocusDistance2 calculation which is FocusPosition2 tag… and DxO PL6 still wrote me DistortionFocus = 128

like what I did in _DSC9255.ARW : exiftool -FocusPosition2=90 _DSC9255.ARW

0x002d FocusPosition2 : 90
FocusDistance2 : 0.6966 m

so clearly DxO PL6 has a bug IMHO = not displaying in UI option to fix focusing distance and writing DistortionFocus = 128 in .DOP for some camera model / lens combo - unless for those lenses the only distortion correction is provided by DxO as if they are focused @ infinity ( so much for we spend thousands man hours creating optics profiles, no ? ) and that is why DxO PL6 when still not being able to get focusing distance just does not show any options to enter it manually and just uses infinity value ( DistortionFocus = 128 )…

formula for calculation FocusDistance2 from FocusPosition2 is for for example is ( 2 ^ ( FocusPosition2 / 16 - 5 ) + 1 ) * { lens focal length in 35mm eq FOV } / 1000

so for that .ARW = ( 2 ^ ( 90 / 16 - 5 ) + 1 ) * ( ~183 * ~1.5 ) / 1000

I repeated the same with _DSC9256.ARW … changing focusing ditance in raw file has no effect on what DxO PL6 does

I have done some more test shots with a6400 and Tamron 11-20. Using 11mm and 20mm exposed at about 10meters and 2meters.

11mm 1 exiftool says infinity as it does for 11mm 2 so something not right with things there. Same with the other two.
Uploading: 11mm 2.ARW…
Uploading: 22mm 1.ARW…
11mm 1.ARW (24.2 MB)
22mm 2.ARW (24.3 MB)

will post missing two here, fourm not very good with uploading!
11mm 2.ARW (24.3 MB)
22mm 1.ARW (24.4 MB)
fouth time did it!