What "General Auto Apply Preset" do you use?

Inspired by this thread:

I wonder what your settings are in “Settings” / “General” / “Auto-apply Presets (for RAW and RGB)”
Do you use “Optical Corrections only”? Maybe “DXO Standard”? Other?
Especially interested in motivation/reason for your choice.
Thank you very much!

6 - No Correction (PL7+FP+VP here)
Then usually I apply one of my presets (headshots, people, nature, landscape, standard, etc.), which all contain ‘Vignetting’ and ‘Chromatic Aberrations’ in Auto mode with lateral corrections checked. I don’t really need CA in >90% cases, but it doesn’t seem to spoil anything although perhaps it increases processing time. I prefer to apply ‘Distortion’ correction later, because with wide lenses, it may crop more than I want. Fisheye lenses also require special treatment.

I mostly use “No Corrections” or a preset that is derived from the original DxO Standard, with neutral colour and tonality plus some tweaks of the tone curve.

The reason for this is to start with a flat image that reveals structures near the dark and bright ends of the histogram. These ends tend to get swallowed by newer DxO defaults, which seem to go for effect rather than for transparently showing the capture’s potential for adjustments.

1 Like

Thank you Wlodek! Seems more do this. I’ll definitely try (instead of DXO standard or Only optical corrections).

And ofcourse thank you Platypus ! Learned again!

“….The reason for this is to start with a flat image that reveals structures near the dark and bright ends of the histogram. These ends tend to get swallowed by newer DxO defaults, which seem to go for effect rather than for transparently showing the capture’s potential for adjustments….”

I didn’t know this. I’ll try this myself.

I used something like ‘Optical corrections only’ before I developed my own presets.
Depending on type of photography, it might be a better start.

I use my custom preset ( which is built from “no corrections” to reflect what I need )

Same here.

Edit Preferences, General correction setting: Auto-apply preset 6- No Correction.

I usually select the 3 - DxO Optical Corrections only preset with the addition of DeepPrime denoising. I build and often use some custom dcp profiles based on these initial settings. Spot-weighted Smart Lighting will often come next. I do sometimes choose 4- Neutral colors (a relatively close cousin of OCO) just to give it a try.

Keep in mind that some tonal changes have already been made under the hood before we apply any presets. We can infer but do not know what those changes are and have no direct control over them. Thus, these starting points, as opposed to say DxO Standard, are more neutral but that is in a relative sense only.

I have also experimented a bit with camera-specific “linear” dcp profiles, but soon abandoned the effort in frustration. The rudimentary PL Tone Curve (e.g., no picker) proved a major obstacle. Even here it is important to note that “linear” must be put in quotes because these profiles are applied in the context of the initial unknown, likely non-linear, tonal changes.

@mujabad

Mostly I use DxO Standard (the “old” one) – but anyway, presets are only starting points.
That is each pic needs to be checked …

( if I would have no time to develop, I would simply use the ooc jpg )

1 Like

Even if you’re using one of the provided DxO presets (such as one of the above) - it’s still worthwhile creating one’s own version of it - - for example;

• If you always go on to change one of the preset’s standard settings - - such as, say, the setting for ClearView … from its default of 50, down to 25 - - then make that change and derive your own version of it (See menu: Image/Create preset from current settings)
  • etc, etc

You’ll save yourself a lot of tedious repetition !

Thank you, John!

1 Like

Thank you eriepa!

Thnxs Wolfgang!

I hav my own set, slightly different from standard ; for instance a little micro contrast and custom ratio W/H.