Weymouth Harbour

Can we stick to one location per topic?

@Joanna I apologise.

I actually consider the whole category a ploy by DxO to fill the forum with “fluff” and obscure the many and various complaints that tend to fill the forum, but “whatever floats your boat”.

I will attempt to avoid this Topic Category in the future.

Suggestion - start your own, new, discussion, about whatever it is that you want to discuss, whether it be a “how-to” question or a "complaint. Since you started the topic, you can push things in whatever direction you want the discussion topic to be about. Or, sort of in your words, rather than participate in THIS topic category, start your own, based on what’s on YOUR mind.

As for me, I don’t really have any “complaints”. DxO PhotoLab, as it is right now, seems to me to be better than any of my other options for image processing. But what’s perfect for one person, may not be for another person. Also, the forum isn’t really a way to discuss things with DxO, it’s a way to discuss things between all the users of DxO software.

Bottom line, should you wish to, avoid this Topic Category as you noted, and start a new Topic Category, to discuss whatever you wish to discuss. Just my thoughts, and maybe I don’t fully understand what the issue is, at least not as well as you understand it.

Mike,

It is not surprising that you are completely missing @BHAYT’s point. That is because of your limited use and knowledge of PhotoLab’s tool set, your general lack of understanding of the many issues that have been discussed here and your almost complete non-participation in those discussion threads over the years. In addition, there have also been a number of ongoing private group discussions on this subject to which you don’t have access.

His belief is simply that these photo evaluation threads were set up by DxO as a smokescreen to dilute the very significant number of threads highlighting both new and long standing issues that have not been addressed. While I am not certain his assumption is correct, it very well could be.

Those of us who continue to champion PhotoLab do so in spite of the many unresolved issues and missing or incomplete features because in many ways it is still a superior product. However, our frustration is real… and growing.

Mark

Actually, what happened is after there were many discussions about setting up a DxO Coffee House for chat and sharing photos in the “Off-Topic thread”, I contacted DxO and asked for them to do this. Only one other person in the forum was aware of what was happening. And I made it very important to DxO that it was set up and run by DxO, with me as just another participant, and in NO WAY in a position of any control. It was my idea (greatly influenced by someone in the off-topic discussion) but he didn’t want to be the one to talk to DxO. I copied everything he wrote, and included it in the reasons why this would be a good idea.

Who knows, perhaps the reason that @BHAYT feels that way is part of the reason that DxO agreed so readily to do this. But it was “our” idea, not theirs, and there were lots of discussions about how to do it. I have heard back that they are very pleased at how well it is working out, and they must be pleased to see so many people posting new threads with their photo(s).

I can’t comment on that. Maybe they did see this new forum addition the way you describe, but I doubt it, as if users are having problems, they can and will still post out in the open, where a huge number of people will become aware of them. Not sure, but these complaints are likely in a discussion I don’t read.

Maybe they saw the new forum as a way for many more people to use to post their work, ask for assistance, and/or just “chat” which was the original purpose of having a “DxO Cafe”.

To me, it is what it is. Nothing is ever “perfect”, and “progress” usually takes ten steps forward, along with one or two steps backwards".

What if DxO never, ever, solves most of those issues. Maybe all of their available staff are too busy developing what will become PL8?

(Maybe you, or someone else, can make an itemized list of what these problems are, so the full list is in one place? That list could be submitted to DxO, both in the forum, and in an email.)

To me, it’s much more a matter of what PhotoLab can do, than what PhotoLab can not do.

If someone really is that frustrated, they could switch to different software, where they can be frustrated by a different list of other things instead.

Anyway, please post a list of these unresolved issues, preferably in a new thread, so the rest of us will know what you’re talking about.

Not that any of this has anything to do with “Weymouth Harbour”. We should discuss this in a separate thread, that one of you can please create.

Mike,

There is no “rest of us”. You are the only regular long term poster here who is blissfully unaware of what’s going on because of your almost total lack of interest and participation in those many hundreds of threads discussing issues and features since you joined this forum. It would take me hours to put together a comprehensive list of the dozens of issues in a way you might possibly understand and it would be a complete waste of my time since you are only interested in a very small subset of PhotoLab’s toolset. If you are really interested in learning about all the issues, and all the incomplete and missing features, I suggest you start by becoming a less isolated member of this forum. You need to be willing to educate yourself, I am not going to do it for you.

And yes, this should be a discussion in a separate thread but this is where @BHAYT decided to make his comment and you posted your response to him.

Mark

Thank you. To me, PhotoLab is a tool, and it does what I need. I’ve been here since PL3, and I have no such issues. I am extremely thankful for the people here in the forums, who explain how to get the most out of PhotoLab.

I’m surprised there isn’t any list of issues.
How do you know the appropriate people at DxO are aware of them?

I’m certainly not the right person in this forum to start a discussion about issues - if there is no such issues discussion ongoing, perhaps you can start one? I assume there must already be discussions about this. You are correct, I am not interested in reading about this, especially so in this topic about Weymouth Harbour.

Your comments are not surprising. If you had been participated more fully in the last four years, instead of focusing only on your particular momentary requirements, you would be as aware of all the issues as the rest of us.

I have been asking you for a long time to be more involved in threads other than you own and to more fully educate yourself about PhotoLab. That lack of involvement has resulted in your ignorance of anything not directly related to whatever current narrow area of interest you have.

Since it is very unlikely that your general interest or participation will ever change, there is no reason to continue this discussion. Ignorance is bliss. Please do not respond so we can get this thread back on track.

Mark

2 Likes

I agree with you. PhotoLab is a collection of tools. I am certainly interested in how I can use those tools. I’m also interested in how others are using these wonderful tools.

I have no desire or interest in focusing on “hundreds” of issues. What good would it do? What I might be interested in, is “workarounds” for any potential issues… but I don’t have any issues with PhotoLab, just limitations which I need to work around.

The people I respect the most on this forum are those who are using PhotoLab, not those who are complaining about it. I can learn from them. I also certainly enjoy seeing what other people are creating, using these tools, including you.

How old are you? When you reach my age, your interest in changing the world may change over time. Perhaps in the past I felt differently. Not any more. I’m tired of “complaining” about things I have no control over.

We’re not discussing changing the world. I am only a little younger than you but my quest for knowledge has not diminished. Please lets stop this useless discussion.

Mark

One I took at Weymouth Harbour on 01.07.16:

2 Likes

I love this image, just the way it is, but I hope you or someone else can jump in and explain what I’m looking at. It’s obviously a “work boat”, but what kind?

The water color, and the sky, and the fascinating and colorful background add to the image. Gosh, if I lived near there, I’d likely go there every day with my camera. Is all of that mechanical structure designed to control a huge net?

Somehow your color image makes me think of color slide film!

@mikemyers Sorry other than the boat is a trawler, I would only be guessing what it catches in the English Channel. I live a good 300 miles north of Weymouth, so have only been there whilst on holiday. Weymouth is a major holiday resort on the south coast of England, and is a lovely place to visit.

Weymouth Harbour

Hmmm. The boat in the middle is far from its home port of Colchester. That’s some distance. But the one on the left is from much closer - Plymouth

An interesting observation Joanna, it’s a fair trek from Colchester to Weymouth!

Yes but if the boat has been fishing along the Channel then Weymouth is a reasonable destination at which to off load the catch. The boat could then return home, fishing as it goes.

NB I’m not a fisherman, I have no inside knowledge. The above is just speculation but that sort of working would maximise the use of the boat.

@stuck I wouldn’t disagree!

The crossroads has changed a lot since the 1980s. :wink: howver the “Royal Oak Inn” is still there.
Photo taken from the same bridge; scanned from a slide
Posted just for the memory of the Chesil Beach sailing speed record attempts.

1 Like