Upgrade price

Mike means the U-Point Technology from Nik: that was incorporated into PhotoLab 1 and further developed in minor updates. Yes. Nik Collection remains a separate, unintegrated product. You don’t need Nik to have U-Point in PL.

I was under the impression that we were discussing enhancements and new functionality in the current version of Photolab. The U point technology was added into version 1, a year ago, and modifed to the current level of functionality in a point update to version 1.

I will certainly agree that adding local adjustments to version one of Photolab was an absolutely major improvement over Optics Pro 11, which I played with, but never owned. The addition of the u point technology and local adjustments in addition to its ease of use and quality of output were the main reasons I purchased Photolab in the first place. But today is a new day and we’re using a new version of the software. When it comes to software development, you cannot live on past glories forever.

I expect to be wowed by at least one or more significant enhancements in each new version of the software. So far there is absolutely no wow factor in version 2 of Photolab, but I hope for the best in the coming months.

Mark

I was replying about the last 2 major releases. PL1 contained the Nik functionality folded into PL1as U-Point Technology. That was new functionality in the major release. The start of the DAM functionality, limited as it is, seems to me to qualify as new functionality in PL2.

To clarify, I said the following:

the previous version of PL had the Nik functionality

so that should have been seen as a reference to new functionality in PL1.

And that’s great but with PL2 it’s is a new day and that version is very light on new functionality. The rudimentary beginnings of a DAM and an update to the Clear View feature provide very minimal real improvements over PL 1.2.

I agree.

PL2 now contains the fix I have been waiting for. I can now send an image to an external pixel editor, change it and see the changes when the image is returned to PL2. That, in itself, was worth the cost of the upgrade to me.

But I understand that others may well feel that the upgrade did not contain enough new functionality to warrant the upgrade cost. When PL2 was first released I said that I did not think the new functionality was worth the cost of the upgrade, but the fix changed all of that for me.

2 Likes

And that’s great for you. I only export to the Nik Collection which continues to work just fine so a major improvement for you is completely unimportant to me. But even if it was an issue for me fixing a bug which should not have been there in the first place does not qualify as upgraded or added functionality warranting a major version upgrade.

I never suggested it was of any importance to anyone but myself. I was explaining why I ended up upgrading.

Again, I do not disagree. I said in my post that PL2 did not contain anything of value to me, but it did contain the start of the Dxo DAM, which was new functionality. Was it sufficient new functionality for me to upgrade? No, and I said so.

But what continues to puzzle me is why people who made the decision to upgrade, knowing what new functionality was part of first PL1 and then PL2 complain about it so bitterly. If you don’t feel that the new functionality is worth the upgrade price, then don’t upgrade. That seems simple to me.

I think I explained my reason earlier or perhaps in a different thread. I really love using PhotoLab despite my frustrations with the roadmap and paltry number of enhancements. And, given their financial issues I decided to give them my support. What frustrated me was that other users deferred upgrading because they thought it was a waste of money with so few updates and they benefited by their earlier lack of support by paying significantly less on Black Friday. I felt like my show of support as an early adopter ended up being a slap in the face. It was only around $20 or $25 USD difference and I’ve gotten over it, but I will not be so generous next year.

Mark

5 Likes

Exactly this. Fool me once…

2 Likes

Yeah, but at least their upgrades have new features. With DxO, you pay for an upgrade hoping you’ll eventually get new features, and then get ripped off because DxO believes its loyal customers are suckers.

My comment was more about the exorbitant price of the C1 update compared to the one for DxO, which quite frankly I find very low (we spend thousands on equipment …). But I have to agree with the critique in your comment. I hope DxO is reading these messages and delivers in the intermediate updates.

2 Likes

And on March 1st, it’ll be $20 cheaper. Thanks but no thanks, DxO. Fool me once…

3 Likes

The regular price has been saying 69.99. but when I went to purchase it, it says on special for 99,99 reg.149.99 then I went to coupons and says it expires in june sometime and I click on it and it goes back to 99.99…i asked them if the 69.99 shows up at checkout ten they told me NO.99.99 is price for Everyone! So they do not honor their coupons from what he told me.

The new price Paula includes a copy of PhotoLab basic. For those who don’t own PhotoLab this is a great offer (there’s an inexpensive offer to upgrade to PhotoLab Elite for €50 once you buy). For those who do down PhotoLab Elite, it’s a slap in the face being forced to buy a second copy of PhotoLab just to get Nik.

I caved in and bought on the current special offer with upgrade. As a company we are VAT exempt on intra-European commerce which helped (total cost €91) and I’ll use the second PhotoLab Elite in the company. Probably means buying at least FilmPack again (Fine Contrast) but no rush on that.

I hope DxO will use our money to go out and make some real performance improvements this time for large files and perhaps add some better colour tools to PhotoLab (like those from C1).

Alec,

Do you know if there are any restrictions on the included PhotoLab license? Can it be upgraded to a newer version without upgrading the Nik component?

Regards, Joseph

Even though they are bundled together, I believe you will have a separate license for PhotoLab Essential. Since it has a separate license, it should be completely independent of the Nik Collection. You could as an example upgrade it to the Elite version for some additional fee. and once version 3 of Photolab is released, presumably towards the end of the year, you would be entitled to purchase that upgrade independently of the Nik Collection.

Mark

3 Likes

Yes, you can turn your Nik purchase into a standalone PhotoLab Elite + Nik. Nik does need a host (well not really) so in principle you could separate them completely. I’m using my upgraded Nik with my original PhotoLab Elite license. Keep in mind as Mark mentions this means 2x PhotoLab upgrade costs in the future to keep current.

2 Likes

This is correct. I upgraded to v.5… less than a month later they want me to pay for v.6 upgrade.

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR DxO product they will just play you for a sucker.

I lost my FP Essential because I bought a new computer. It has two activation, I used it for my old desktop and laptop.
That’s why I cannot activate it again. The number of the max. activations is reached.

The software told me I have to ask DXO support for a new activation. I did it and they said no because I bought the Filmpack by a vendor and not over the DXO website. :angry: :flushed:

1 Like

You will most definitely be ripped off eventually if you buy a DxO product.

On 9/22/22 upgraded to v.5 as soon as I received notice.… less than a month later they want me to pay $99 for a v.6 upgrade.

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR DxO product they will just play you for a sucker.

you just didn’t get it, dxo release new version every Fall like many other manufacturers, then there’s black friday deal, Xmas discount and a Spring sales event, every year is the same and every software goes the same road.

people just don’t do research before buying, same post like yours every time softwares are on sale.

3 Likes