Uninstallation of PL6 also reset the PL7 database

Uninstallation of PL6 also reset the PL7 database so none of the RAW files show if it is already exported.
As I always store all edits in the .dop files, the edits are still there.

Normally each major version are independent between them, the databases are different.
Check the database location in preferences.

Database found:
/Users/XXXXX/Library/DxO\ PhotoLab\ v7 and restored. indicators are back!

open question to the DxO staff: why is the uninstall routine of PL6 allowed to delete anything from the PL7 directory???

Again, there is no official uninstaller for PhotoLab.
I don’t know what you’re doing, but propose you re-think your procedure.

2 Likes

They do not read this forum.
I had nearly the same problem: PL6 installation crashed PL5 Database. I had to ask the support to get it back.

as already written in the other thread:
“hmmm. So, why did I have that little uninstall.app? I assumed it came with the installer in the original DMG like it (still?) is in the VP3 dmg (just checked) and the also with Nik Plugins.DMG.
As I don’t have a PL6 DMG anymore, I can’t double-check”

that’s a pity. In the past, they did.

OK, let’s close this. My problem is solved. Thanks, @platypus

DxO are very, very, unlikely to respond to any questions put to them via this forum. You need to submit your question to them via this page:
https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

FYI: Note that uninstall/reinstall is NOT necessary to update your database location …

There’s a Preferences setting that provides for checking/changing its location;

This is a good reason for asking that all informations related to a picture, particularly the flag “has been processed”, be stored in a sidecar file as many other data.
When I moved a processed file from one folder to another one, I loose this useful information.

1 Like

No more communication from staff, even not one per year ; they work hard or have left DxO ?

To avoid loosing flags, you should always use PL7 to move files instead of the OS tools.

If you also move the related sidecar/.dop file then you should not lose any such information.

Unfortunately, this is not correct. Because of the missing icons, I noticed the database was deleted. Apparently, this information (processed, edited, …) is stored only in the database.

I’m afraid I don’t agree with you ; I have made the test again and again :

• run the processing, the flag “has been processed” is visible
  • move the pictures in another folder, reopen RAW, the flag “has been processed” is no more visible.

It is has been the same for several versions. I use now PL6.

You’re right when moving a processed image inside PL. But, moving the Raw with the corresponding dop (sidecart) file, does not move the flag. And when moving Raw+dop outside of PL, the flag is irreversibly lost.
The processed flag is indeed stored inside the dop file, but only the contents of the database is used for the indicator flag.

As the dop-file is a simple XML-file, you can easily filter the file for “process” and you get

ProcessingStatus = 3,
ShouldProcess = 2,

for an already processed raw, while getting

ProcessingStatus = 1,
ShouldProcess = 2,

for a not-yet-processed file.

You see, the state in the XML is different.

Now filtering for a Raw after having it moved outside PL together with the corresponding dop file:

ProcessingStatus = 1,
ShouldProcess = 2,

You can now see, the Flag “ProcessingStatus” is reset to unprocessed.

Maybe this is also a bug.

I’m open to getting proofed wrong.

So, in my case, there was no database at all anymore, because it was delete by the uninstall routines of PL6. So, all the flags are gone because PL does not read them from the dop-files.

I have had problems with the database because I moved files using windows browser. So I had a corrupted DB. I have moved the DB to keep the original in case of, then I have indexed all the folders with PL7, has taken some hours, and I now have a healthy DB, rebuild by PL7 using the .DOP.

How were you able to do this? I can’t find such an option.

Select the root folder of your photo archive and use the context menu to re-index that folder and all within it.

I set my Mac to not sleep while indexing, either by system settings or using “caffeinate” in Terminal.app.