Tough night with camera

Went with a plan storm didnt co-operate had to change vista. Idea was to include a lighthouse next time. Found the edit hard but all good
0K0A9976_M_DxO2.tif (12.5 MB)
1E2A6152_1_DxO2.tif (18.7 MB)

thats better

8 Likes

Nice. Can you tell us how you did archive that?

George

These are simply stunning. Thank you for sharing them.

Thank you for kind words , errr i was dissapointed to be honest hard task master

My love hate relationship with wide angle lenses continues

Are you talking about distortions? In which case, Viewpoint can really help. Post an image if you want help.

no dead space
tricky to desired photos chasing storms

Could you explain more what you mean by that?

wasted space in a wide angled shot when shooting storms that you have to crop

“wasted space in a wide angled shot”…

Seems to me that the wider the angle you cover, the greater chance there is of capturing lightning strikes. If you know the “scene” that you’d like to capture, you plan for that and hope the lightning happens where you want it.

Lovely captures - were they long time exposures, or how did you guess where the lightning was most likely to strike? Products like the “Lightning Bug” can make this easier. The shutter fires every time the device senses the infrared radiation that precedes a lightning strike, even in daytime when time exposures are not possible. Lots of wasted shots, as the device is very sensitive, even to lightning that you can’t see.

Used to use invertalometer sometimes just remote release.

Moved to triggers.

Have Stepping Stone Lightning trigger the rolls royce, Lightning Bug the weather proof option and strike finder which struggles during day.

Sensitivity can be set on first two.

Exposures depend on intensity of storm. Sometimes 30 seconds.

Device
Canon Canon EOS R6

Lens
RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM

Aperture
Ć’/5.6

Focal length
15.0 mm

Exposure time
2.5 second(s)

ISO

Personally, I don’t have a problem with the shots you have shown here. Sometimes “negative space” can really help by demonstrating the scale of things.

Both of your shots require the space. The first one to allow that wonderful Cirrus-like sweeping cloud and the second to record multiple flashes, which makes it feel more like a storm and not just a singe flash.

Oh, and I love the way you’ve got space in the foreground sea to show the reflection of the strike.

This???

Only $5, but it is an app.

What are your thoughts on the Lightning Bug? It mounts on the camera, and automatically captures flashes, at whatever settings you use. For night, maybe I’ll use 30 seconds.

@FarmerPhotos

Two cracking photos!

Out of interest, what is the location of the two images?

Narrung South Australia by the lighthouse

LB still working out sensitivity but ability to function in rain or light rain is why i got it.

I think FarmerPhotos already has cropped those empty spaces he talks about.

I suppose that is always going to be a problem when you have the entire sky for the lightning to strike and no way of predicting where :woozy_face:

1 Like

Or, for those who can afford it, buy a Nikon Z9 and capture the lightning flash after you see it!

Me? I’ll stick with the Lightning Bug, which is mounted to my D3 Nikon.

Can DxO stop this guy posting?