Please bring back the "position reference" in the Image Browser

Hi folks,
Thank you for your comments.
So, I can see that we can test the following format.
Keep in mind that the main goal is to make it more obvious for the most average people :wink:

1 - No filter, no selection: 200 images
2 - No active filter but selection : 200 images | 2 selected
3 - Active filter and no selection: 155 of 200 images
4 - The big game: 155 of 200 images | 2 selected

And about the position of the image currently displayed in the main viewer #120
We understand the need. But we’ll probably do it in a second phase to make it even more obvious for everybody.

I’ll discuss about it with the dev team.

Your feedback are really interesting, we know the MarCom wanted the “image” word for several reasons for PL1. But as you said maybe it’s no longer relevant in the scope of the “PhotoLibrary”.
I’ll draw attention on that.

See you,

2 Likes

1- Good point
2- In my mind, the word “images” is correct

Pascal

2 Likes

I agree with you generally, Pascal (see my comments above) - - but, in the context of PhotoLab where we are processing files generated from a camera, in the act of taking/making a photograph, I contend that “photo” is more appropriate.

John M

As you know my english is no enougth subtil to discourse on words sense :slight_smile:

Photo is an act.
Photo reporters make photos.
My aunt (tata Ginette in french) make familiy photos.

Image is a creation.
DxO users turn their photos into something different.
Tjis act is “making images”.

In my opinion, the DxO marcom gave the right word.

Pascal

But an image is also everything that has been drawn in windows paint or scanned through a scanner. Everything that is flat, does not move and can be presented to your eyes.

Photos are images taken by a camera. Or as Wikipedia formulates it: “A photograph (also known as a photo) is an image created by light falling on a photosensitive surface”. So photos are a subset of images.

Now one could say, that normally photos are processed in PhotoLab, but on the other hand it is not prohibited to put a jpeg or tiff into the library, that has not been taken by a camera.

However, the only thing I would expect is, that a PhotoLibrary contains photos, and that an ImageLibrary contains images. It is always bad, if a software uses different terms for the same thing.

Wow, what a discussion. Let’s hope the DXO team uses its time to bring the product forward and not to debate semantics too much.

3 Likes

OK, but keep in mind that PhotoLab uses “Image” in other places as well. For example we have “SEARCH FOR IMAGES”, “image properties” and the menu Image

Regards,

Joseph

1 Like