Please bring back the "position reference" in the Image Browser

Or the keyboard Home and End keys on a PC.

Thank you Lucho and sorry to hijack the tread

YES
Very good indication maybe clearer with Square Brackets:

1- No filter, no selection: 200 images

2- No active filter but selection : 200 images [ 2 ]

3- Active filter and no selection: 155 / 200 images

3- The big game: 155 / 200 images [ 2 ]

Pascal

1 Like

Square brackets are not self explaining. The user has to understand, when the brackets appear and what they mean.

1 Like

I agree. So I suggest we modify Pascal’s proposal as follows:

1- No filter, no selection: 200 images

2- No active filter but selection : 200 images / 2 selected

3- Active filter and no selection: 155 of 200 images

3- The big game: 155 of 200 images / 2 selected

Joseph

Is there anyone who like to see the active imagenumber out of the totall selected In developerworkspace?
Like no filter and one selected is 120 [200] 120ste is selected active in editor window.
Active filter and one selected : 155 of 200 would be 120 [155]

Everything is ok, as long as the user does not need to experiment or read the help to understand what he sees.

Thanks for the response, Lucho … but that doesn’t work for me 'cos (with Windows) I have status of my taskbar set to auto-hide - and, therefore, my taskbar pops-up to cover the scroll-bar whenever I move my mouse to the bottom of the screen.

Thanks Mark ! … That’s such an obvious solution, but (as I’m a little embarrassed to admit) I never thought to try it … I did so just now and it works perfectly (including with Shift-key down, to select multiple images).

So, @lucho, I’m happy to forgo resurrection of navigation keys … Mark’s suggestion is even better.

Regards, John M

When looking for resolutions to problems we all occasionally miss the solution staring us right in the face. In my case I’m a retired software developer, trouble shooter and tester, so I always try to break problems down to their lowest common denominator. I did notice that using the shift key and the End key seem to select only 9 images at a time on my Windows 10 machine.

Mark

Yes, that was the main point of my original post. So, adapting @jmcsaky’s modification of @Pieloe’s proposal;

Where the currently displayed image is image # 120 (as per the current Sort Order);

1 - No filter, no selection: 200 images [#120 current]

2 - No active filter but selection : 200 images / 2 selected [#120 current]

3 - Active filter and no selection: 155 of 200 images [#120 current]

4 - The big game: 155 of 200 images / 2 selected [#120 current]

And if that makes it too long then I reckon the #-prefix is commonly enough understood to mean “number” for the word “current” to be omitted … as in; 155 of 200 images / 2 selected [#120]

Regards, John M

2 Likes

Ahhh - I didn’t notice that in my original test, 'cos I was already positioned very near to the end of the Image Browser … Unfortunately, you are spot-on with this observation !

Testing this further I found that;

• it’s actually selecting only images (currently displayed in the image browser + one more) - In your case, Mark, that was 9 images … in my case, 14 images.

• with multiple hits of the End-key (or Home-key) with Shift-key held down, it does eventually select all images (in the relevant direction) … however, that’s not standard Windows behaviour.

So, @lucho, I spoke a bit too early (above) - - We would need correction of this behaviour, to have it comply with Windows standards, before usage of Home/End keys + Shift-key can properly replace the navigation controls.

John M

Its is indeed strange that the End and Home keys by themselves do what we would expect but when used with the Shift key to select images it exhibits an unexpected behavior.

Mark

Sold !
John has the final word.
Pascal

1 Like

OK, if we display a current one in this string and once we get a preview with multiple images, aka compare mode, there must be something like a current indicator (frame), which shows which one of the many displayed is the one. The user must be able to move this frame by focusing the relevant photo with the mouse or arrow keys.

Btw. what does an index tell you? Do you know your images by index in each filter case?
Here is what Lightroom does:

grafik

And please no brackets, this looks so nerdy and requires much more parsing through eyes and brain. Just compare with a single short look on each, pretending you have never seen this before and do not know where the relevant information is:

155 of 200 images / 2 selected [#120 current]

155 of 200 images / 2 selected / #120 current

In many domains information inside square brackets has a semantic meaning like optional groups inside regular expressions etc. Everyone who is used to this semantic has real problems reading the first case.

Made me chuckle, Asser: I thought we were mainly concerned about it being clear for general users … not worrying about nerds like us ! :sunglasses:

John

I use it as a reference point - as in; “I’m now working on image #123 of the total number of 257 images (so, I’m nearly half-way thru)”.

Yes, that’s even better … but it’s not necessary 'cos we can see the current image’s file-name in the browser-panel.

John M

Yes, as long as I can see the file name of the current item elsewhere, an additional current index information cannot harm.

Do you think “photos” is better than “images” ? The first workspace is called “PhotoLibrary” not “ImageLibrary”…

As we use PL to process RAW files, which are the result of taking a photograph, then “PhotoLibrary” being part of “PhotoLab” is appropriate naming, I reckon.

I’m just used to referring to the results of this process as “images” as that’s the term used by my camera club in terms of submissions acceptable for judging - as some are composites, or manipulations - not just straight-forward photographs.

I guess I tend to use these terms interchangeably - but in the context of PL I agree that photo/photograph is more appropriate.

John M

Hi,
I approve that one, perhaps without brackets.