PL8 - History broken

After doing some tests with new tone curve in PL8 (don’t know if this is related, but, hey, new tool, new problems ?) history is dead.

I can go back a very little number of steps, but if I want to select a step before this little number, history immediatly jumps back to end and do not permit to go further.

See video :

One (small - not only doing that) day, one bug.

Is photolab really backward compatible ?
I just updated from v6 and work now in directories coming from v6.

When I first created special directory for testing v8, I did not have bugs.
This is maybe not related and I was lucky, but I hope that it won’t mess up my old edits.
See yesterday bug :

Shouldn’t happen because DPL8 created a new database. Going back to DPL7, there should be no such risk either, .dop sidecars from DPL8 are meant to be ignored by DPL7.

I propose that you verify that the “new” sidecars don’t bleed into DPL7.
In case they do, disable automatic imp/exp of the .dop sidecars.

1 Like

So DPL6 (don’t have 7) do not rely anymore on .dop but only database now if I understand well for directories discovered by DPL8 ?
And so what if I do an edit with DPL6 again (in case at some point I prefer to stay in 6 waiting for more stable release - I’m not yet at this stage !) ? Is it risky ? Is it something not to do ? Are there any precautions to take ? How does DPL manages 2 versions then (.dop files, databases) ?

Have to check, but thinks it is disabled.

From what I see, it seems PL8 only modify PL6 .dop in discovered directories for images it has edited, not the others; or at least it does not change software version number.
But this does not give me answer.

I currently have DPL 6, 7 and 8 on my Mac and there is no issue with that. I always disable automatic sidecar import, export and sync and the database holds all I do, edits, projects etc. I can always save or read sidecars manually (file menu) and then, these files don’t interfere with normal work in DPL.

The database is the only place where all your actions are kept. Sidecar files ave been developed to be almost like a distributed backup, but alas, almost only. Some things are lost if the database is deleted…and the list of things depend on which version of DPL is writing those sidecars

Currently, it’s advisable to use both the database and sidecar files imo. Nevertheless, the DB is the weaker point because it can easily get harmed by changing (e.g. renaming and moving) image files when DPL is not running.

2 Likes