PL7 ruined my PL5 photos

OK. I think I found a solution. I change the preset for RAW and RGB in PL7 to what I used in PL5 then deleted PL7 DB files from (library>DXO PhotoLab v7) and restarted PL7. Now all the photos retain the same settings as PL5.
I think DXO must add an upgrade process screen letting users ‘retain’ previous corrections rather than just add whatever is the new defaults.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 1.33.26 PM

Usually a new PL version does not alter your already edited files
( except in the rare case the new version has hijacked the old database … ).

If you like to check your settings
in PL5, e.g.
Screen Shot 05-02-24 at 12.07 PM

as the presets are
Screen Shot 05-02-24 at 12.06 PM

but in PL7, e.g.
Screen Shot 05-02-24 at 12.21 PM

as the presets are renumbered
Screen Shot 05-02-24 at 12.08 PM

The images you show are jpg’s, isn’t it?

George

1 Like

PL7 shouldn’t be overriding PL5 defaults. When installing PL7 and running it for the first time, the existing defaults in PL5 should be migrated. Sometimes something goes wrong with the migration process. Unfortunately, PhotoLab doesn’t report such problems to us. Glad you figured it out. What you did is the way to fix it.

1 Like

Yes, the images are Jpeg.

You know what? I think it might be because I set it up to use my own preset which PL7 didn’t migrate hence why I think having an ‘on-boarding’ process to ask a user what to do is a good way to mitigate such issues. But maybe I am an edge case so who cares.
Cheers,

Never use a preset with jpg’s. They are supposed to be finished already. I never understood why there was a possibility to use presets for a jpg.
Set in Preferences->General->For RGB images to No Correction. Then your jpg,RGB image, will stay as it is.

George

1 Like

I agree @George, however I have no choice as once I opened PL (any version) it will render all the RAW and RGB the way it is setup by default.
Also, not everyone shoots RAW all the time. I actually think that some minimal RGB (Jpeg) corrections are pretty good such as lens correction and DXO Smart Lightning.

You can change that in Preferences as I wrote. And you an change that individual by using Apply preset->No correction.
Just change it in your Preferences as @Wolfgang showed you.

George

I know how to setup PL and change things in ‘Settings’ (Mac). The issue is that when I open PL7 for the FIRST time it will render all the photos using the default presets and there is no way to change those preset and run PL7 again!. So the only way is to change the presets to what ever the user wants, close PL, go to the PL library folder and delete the DB files then open PL again and the new presets will apply (or not if the user chose ‘No corrections’.

If one day my judgement snapped and I wanted to challenge endless problems - I just needed to leave Darktable and begin to edit my precious raw files in DxO Photolab 7. :hot_face:
On pixls dot us people challenge each other by presenting images and files with the implicit question: Who can make this image better? And a lot of interesting suggestions turn up. That’s entertaining and constructive. All free, constantly upgraded and openly discussed.
This forum is more often than not dominated by problems with the basic software and the plugins neccessary to make it work as a complete system. All rather expensive with a distant provider.

@Eigil_Skovgaard can you shorten your reply to one short and comprehensive sentence? I’m confused by your reply.

My comment was for general consumption. You, migo33, may avoid it, if you don’t get the meaning.

Well, it’s my thread and I didn’t get the meaning. If you want to rant please create your own thread.

3 Likes

I think the response you will get depends on how you word the “question”. If you have an image that you’ve gotten mostly to what you want, and you post three files here:

• edited image
  • original file
  • your .dop file

…then lots of people, maybe me included, might download your original file, maybe look at what you’ve done, and then post their edited version, along with the .dop file which you can save on your computer, to study what they did.

For me, for better or worse, everything is an “endless challenge”, but I think I would call them “issues”, not "problems. Same thing. Mostly it’s due to something I didn’t know or understand, or I used incorrectly.

You might ask the very question: “Who can make this image better”, but it would be good if you also posted what might help to make it better - although you’re likely to have people suggest a tool you either didn’t understand, or didn’t yet know about.

I started with PL3, and am now up to PL6. I may upgrade to PL8 when the next “Black Friday Sale” comes along.

What I find MOST helpful here is feedback from other PhotoLab users. Maybe I bore a lot of them, and maybe they are surprised at the number of things I hadn’t/haven’t yet learned.

(I also watch many of the YouTube videos on PhotoLab, realizing that not every video is “expert” advice, but bits and pieces of that stuff eventually become useful to me. …but you gotta post images, not just text, to get the best support.

P.S. - I am also learning how to use DarkTable.

Sounds promissing, Mike.
I can’t help suggesting this free raw editor Darktable as an alternative to the not so free PL7 and its not so free addons.
I compared this forum to pixls dot us because the “issues” here catch me each time I visit - as opposed to the home of Darktable where people predominantly are playing and having fun.
But I must not “rant”.

A small PS:
The natural noise reduction in Darktable is not better than the old ones in ACR, C1 and others before AI. That’s where DxO PureRAW 4 comes in - as a pre-treatment of more noisy raw files. I forgot to change the preset exposure time and aperture last week in the forest and provoked 40,000 ISO! But, after the PR4 treatment the image was absolutely magnificent, a noise-free and still detailed DNG file ready to be touched up in Darktable.
I love this combination, and in 5 percent of the cases it’s further combined with Affinity Photo. With those three I am totally covered and stay independent of the more greedy providers.

Ah, you mean the providers who pay employees so that they can afford to live and contribute taxes to a nation’s economy, so that the citizens can have decent health and education services?

Free always comes with a price - somewhere along the line.

Wow… Joanna (let the flag go just before your feet get off the ground)
Do you really think that such an ideal model has anything to do with providers like DxO and Adobe?

DarkTable is not “free”. It is open-source, meaning there are a huge number of people working to make it better, donating their time. There is no cost.

Can it do everything PhotoLab can do - nope.
Can it do “enough” - certainly.

I had no complaints whatever about DarkTable, and enjoyed using it. I prefer PhotoLab, but DxO is a company, with all the expenses, including payrolls, and I’m certain they hope to make a profit.

I don’t know if I would use the term “greedy”, but to get all the benefits of PhotoLab, there are several add-ons that one wants to buy, more $$$.

DxO is designed around RAW files. DarkTable is for anybody/everybody. I need to spend a lot more time with DarkTable to catch up with all the available features - but I need to do that with PhotoLab.

Or, there is all the Adobe software, which we can no longer even “buy”, now we need to “rent”. A lot of people consider Adobe to be “greedy”.

When Adobe went to “subscription”, I switched to PhotoLab. PhotoLab does a lot more for me than DarkTable, but then I also have been using PhotoMechanic for decades, which does much of my organizing.

I didn’t buy PhotoLab 7, as I didn’t see anything I needed to add to PhotoLab 6. No idea if I want to spend the $$$ to get PhotoLab 8. And if I do, I will likely wait for the “Black Friday” sale pricing that a very good friend told me about, along with all the other help she has been giving me.

Agree with Joanna - “free” eventually comes with a cost, but Open Source provides a lot. Among other things, they have “GIMP” for an image editor, but I never understood it…

Mike: Which are the 3 major functionalities you use in PhotoLab and miss in Darktable?

“Free” means free, i.e. no payment, and so far I have not had any unexpected costs in that connection.
What would such costs be (Joanna)?