PL6 Tone Curve Implementation

I agree. Also I would add, lack of subscription mandate is important advantage of DXO.

Yes, when it comes to AI they simply have much more resources. But there are smaller companies that have shown AI is not just about data, but also implementation and other clever tricks.

DeepL the auto translation service using AI was smaller German company and could offer better results than big tech like Microsoft or Google. Similar to how DXO did it with DeepPrime and later DeepPrimeXD.

Also Blackmagic design in resolve uses really cool AI solutions all over their applications and they are not big headline features but they make the overall application more powerful and user experience is improved. They also have attracted users with great value for affordable prices, and no subscription mandate. Many are switching from Adobe apps to Resolve.

I think DXO could do something similar. With cleverly implemented solutions that play to their strengths, innovation and good relations with user base they could offer value that companies like Adobe cannot or will not.

This is in part what I meant talking about adobe hostage-taking.

Good point.

I think black magic has a very stronger base than dxo. They donā€™t only do Da vinci.

Yes. Cleverly implemented, fluid interface is part of the solution.
You have to like opening your software and know you will be able to use its functionnality easily, fluidly, precisely.

1 Like

I agree.Yes. Sometime big companies have so much users and so much capital they get lazy. Smaller companies could do more with less by being more focused and innovative. So there is opportunityā€¦ and hope. Cheers!

2 Likes

was it a joke ? unlike this forum, hosted by DxO , Adobe stuff is a much more constant presence in their forums, hosted by Adobe ā€¦

or they be run out of business ( best case scenario purchased and continue to live for a while as a name only )

But if you ever spend any length of time on Adobe forums

a) you will know that people there donā€™t run the company and unless the requests and bugs align with whatever goals are from higher up they donā€™t get fixed. There are tones of nasty bugs on Adobe forums being constantly reported for years and while some low level, low paid guy that Adobe can afford might give a generic answer on forums, they wonā€™t get fixed. Adobe forums are a joke. Been there long enough to know.

b) Adobe is anti user pro whatever shareholder and more and more stakeholder company. DXO still is not. If you donā€™t know what I mean by stakeholder company, ESG, DEI etc. than it does not matter.

c) Adobe has a track record of deliberate being anti user company in their decisions, as Iā€™ve listed just some of many examples in my previous replies, which is why many users, who could leave, did. There was a trend of ā€œlife after Adobeā€ because it became clear that Adobe that was from the era of Thomas and John Knoll is no where to be found.

d) You can look at the earnings and investment of Adobe and you will see that creative apps, something like Photoshop or Lightroom are very low on their list of priorities. They make most of their earnings with cloud services aimed more at marketing to enterprise and B2B packages than creative tools for artists. And more and more because ESG and DEI they are becoming like so many companies a company full of activists, diversity hires and not neutral company that makes products it supposed to be making. Thank God DXO is not thereā€¦ and I hope they will not end up there.

Sounds like you are advocating for monopoly, since its a rigged market anyway. Big tech for example and this goes for all of them big pharma, big banks etc. collectively known as big business is in the bed with the governments and FED, hence they donā€™t play by the same rules. Unless you want to live under dystopian hellhole. I suggest you show a bit more respect and support for small business, which are the backbone of healthy middle class, meaning healthy sociaty. Big business company donā€™t make money from value they create anymore but from connections they have with governments and with mergers and acquisitions and other underhanded methods. Something that hurts everyone but few.

Adobe XD is described as ā€˜(Experience Design) is a vector-based tool developed and published by Adobe Inc for designing and prototyping user experience for web and mobile appsā€™ and is a popular UI Design tool in the photos & graphics category. There are more than 50 alternatives to Adobe XD for a variety of platforms, including Mac, Windows, Online / Web-based, Linux and iPad.

Digital UI and UX design firm Figma is being acquired by Adobe, which has competed in the same space with its Adobe XD software. Adobe has announced that it is begun what it calls a ā€œdefinitive merger agreement to acquire Figma,ā€ for approximately $20 billion in stock and cash.Sep 15, 2022.

Is Adobe XD being discontinued?

In conclusion, Adobe XD is not discontinued, and Adobe continues to support and develop the software. While the acquisition of Figma may have caused some confusion and speculation, Adobe has made it clear that they have no plans to discontinue Adobe XD.May 14, 2023

What is the future of Adobe XD after Figma acquisition?

Adobe has been reducing its investment in XD. It seems like Adobe may have a plan to sunset XD once the Figma deal has completely closed in 2023. However, if you prefer using Adobe XD, thereā€™s really no rush to migrate to Figma yet since Adobe will likely continue to support it in the near future.

Just recently, Adobe announced they would spend $20 billion to acquire Figma, four times the price of their next highest purchase. History tells us that Adobe will adopt Figma as one of its own and that Figma fans have nothing to worry about in regards to the product being shut down. Or, does it?

Thereā€™s divided opinion about whether the Figma multi-billion acquisition is good for the SaaS industry. Lack of competition means Adobe continues to dominate the industry, and Figma will now have to succeed in concert with Adobe, not in spite of Adobe. Whether this acquisition will have a PhotoShop outcome or a FreeHand outcome, remains to be seen.

Experts warn, however, that if the current generation of SaaS startups keep entering into mergers and acquisitions with the same legacy companies, theyā€™ll never be able to break the hold that entrenched platform companies have over the enterprise software market.

We have seen Google, Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and many other hedge funds and banks etc. Acquire and merge smaller business strangling competition or absorbing it and than holding hostage the users and discouraging actual innovation while encouraging startups-ā€¦ all fun and games when stock market is pumped with fiat from the FED. This had far reaching social end economic consequences and we are heading in another great depression now, or greater depression as will be called in retrospective. So I would suggest you give a bit more support and respect to the small business as long as they respect the users.

If lock-downs and COVID situation didnā€™t teach you about the dangers of wealth effect, I suggest you look into it. But we are truly getting off the track now. so lets stick to curves implementation for now.

2 Likes

hope, I didnā€™t miss anything ( tldr )

Someone starts with a reasonable request for a much improved curves interface. It quickly degenerates into throw out all the tools, rebuild the whole interface, OpenDoc style windows!

Guys, improving the Tone Curve tools (both adjustment finesse and the display of RGB and luminance at same time) would solve a huge amount of issues all by itself. No need to reinvent the wheel, either Davinci Resolve interface or a slight simplification of it.

2 Likes

Great post Milan. I hope someone at DxO is reading. I didnā€™t know about the Figma acquisition. I suggest Figma users start looking for alternative software as Figma will start to be rented only in very unattractive bundles for non-Adobe users. Adobe buying Figma (and Macromedia before that) should fall under anti-monopoly and anti-cartel legislation. The whole IT ecosystem is rigged at this point (has been since Microsoft got away with similar behaviour in 2000 with more or less presidential pardon from George Bush for their efforts in compromising user privacy).

Anyone who cares about their freedom better be supporting small software houses. Many of us do. Mainstreamers no need to respond with your Borg ā€œResistance is futileā€ mantra. If you donā€™t have anything interesting to say, say naught.

1 Like

Definatly. Also there was few acquisitions and mergers of various AI companies and stock photo/video companies that Adobe has done over the years. That is how they are able to offer both generative fill or similar technology and unlike other companies that simply scrapped the internet and ā€œappropriatedā€ materials for AI training database, Adobe was so huge they could simply buy various stock photography websites and use that to train the AI models. This way legally they avoid class action lawsuit problems, but they shouldnā€™t be allow to do this , because as you said its monopoly power.

Furthermore, a lot of cloud use by users, from storing their images to uploading them via for example Photoshop for AI selections and Generative Fill, will probably be used as training data for future AI models which than will be not only sold back to subscription users, but also Adobe announced they will be licensing the AI training models and data set to enterprise companies, so those companies can internally train it for specific use.

It is in my opinion therefore both unrealistic to expect small companies like DXO to compete head to head with giants like Adobe and its also important to support the small business and smaller companies because otherwise all that will be left is giants that think Orwell 1984 is a manual.

1 Like

It is certainly a reasonable request to improve one of the fundamental tone editing tools in a photo editing software. You donā€™t have to look at Adobe, even the free Faststone Image Viewer offers on image curve point selection and an original image histogram.
Fastone Curves

4 Likes