PL not reading distance from Sony ARW

this is A6000 camera, NOT A6700 !

1 Like

so I did the ultimate test I designed

.ARW → Adobe DNG Converter → DNG → exiftool stripping makernotes section → DNG → DxO PL

now they all have focusing distance tool presented in UI with multiple options ( means DxO has various sets of optics corrections for different focusing distances )… but stripping makernotes section from DNG removes focusing distance for DxO PL to read … so at first glance may be DxO PL now indeed does read it from A6700 ( but not for other models ) - UNLESS it is a bug ?

I have to get back to work, so I leave this for others to investigate for the time being

PS1: for DNGs w/o makernotes section stripped DxO PL does not have focusing distance tool presented in UI - only when that metadata is removed

PS2 : as far as I remember on Mac DxO PL works more nicely and ALWAYS display the tool ( just disables it for user , instead of totally hiding ) - DxO needs to replicate this on WINDOWS TOO

why 'd somebody expect to see .XMP section in .ARW files directly off camera beats me

you can possibly see a default rating only

| | XMP = <?xpacket begin='...' id='W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d'?>.<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x='a[snip]
| + [XMP directory, 4096 bytes]
| | Rating = 0

Bug could be likly as all imiges had manual focus distance missing in 7.01.

Originally I thought all were reading distance. So could DxO have focuing in the camera modules. In some ways unlikly as my Tamon 11-20 has always focused automatically

My fault.

But I can’t find FocusDistance but I did find FocusDistance2.

George

we do not know yet… A6700 was supported in 6.10, so that was very recently… may be , may be they finally start to implement reading the focusing distance data now, just not for all camera bodies

We need to check the situation with Sony cameras that were added AFTER A6700 to see what is in there now !

True as they refuse to pass on any information you have no idea if something is actually fixed or disappeared via a new bug as in the last build.

if somebody has time to check Sony A7C II & Sony A7C R that were added after A6700 that might give some assurance

They don’t need manual focusing. Looks like DxO has made little or no progress with the promise to re-introduce the automatic focusing if its based on camera body modules. It was said to be by the end of the year and I was told the fix was to be in the November update. They clearly now know where they have to get the focus data as the cameras may be new but its the lenses are not. Odd you would have thought with varying locations for such data the lenses module would be where it was, my Tamron has always worked fully.

so I did the ulti-mate test

raw file = Sony a6700 sample gallery: Digital Photography Review

downloaded

made 2 copies

used exiftool to put FocusPosition2=30 and FocusPosition2=250 in raw files

I see that DxO PL7.1.0 / Win applies different optics corrections now for 2 copies that differ only in FocusPosition2 tag…

So it seems DxO finally, finally started to use focus distance info from .ARW file at least for new Sony camera models >= A6700 and native E-mount lenses

QUESTIONS :

[1] when (if) old bodies will be supported

[2] any plans to try to support adapted lenses… it is not as easy as native E-mount lenses as the distance coded in that same tag in a different manner

for example this is how I deal with .DOP files initially generated by DxO PL6 ( DxO library deleted so that .DOP mods are used ) for .ARW files with Sony A7R2 + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 100 / 2 … it is a quick and dirty script - granted can be done more elegantly, etc, etc …

@ECHO OFF

FOR %%f IN (*.arw) DO CALL :work %%f

GOTO :EOF

:work

FOR /F “tokens=*” %%v IN (‘exiftool -b -FocusPosition2 %1’ ) DO ( SET VAR=%%v )

ECHO %1 %VAR%

GOTO :F%VAR%

:F29 REM [ 0.9 - 1.57m ]

powershell -Command “(gc %1.dop) -replace ‘“DistortionFocus.*,”’, ‘DistortionFocus = 1.0,’ | Out-File -encoding ASCII %1.dop”

:F67 REM [ 1.57 - 3.03m ]

powershell -Command “(gc %1.dop) -replace ‘“DistortionFocus.*,”’, ‘DistortionFocus = 2.0,’ | Out-File -encoding ASCII %1.dop”

:F96 REM [ 3.03m - 12.51m ]

powershell -Command “(gc %1.dop) -replace ‘“DistortionFocus.*,”’, ‘DistortionFocus = 4.0,’ | Out-File -encoding ASCII %1.dop”

:F136 REM [ 12.51 - 40m ] + [ more than 40m ]

powershell -Command “(gc %1.dop) -replace ‘“DistortionFocus.*,”’, ‘DistortionFocus = 15.0,’ | Out-File -encoding ASCII %1.dop”

:F255 REM 255 it seems actually appears in a very-very close focus shots ?!

powershell -Command “(gc %1.dop) -replace ‘“DistortionFocus.*,”’, ‘DistortionFocus = 1.0,’ | Out-File -encoding ASCII %1.dop”

Meanwhile support came back with the rubbish of “we do not have a timeline for this fix yet, it is still under investigation.” Clearly they do know what changes are needed but are delaying the fixes for older cameras. Its now getting on for 3 plus years that they took the focusing out rather than fixing what they said was a problem then and are still delaying things. It strikes me they are just trying to delay spending the time sorting out a problem largely down to there unwillingness to find what was wrong all that time ago.

they still need to do the testing … I just hope that they have enough data to avoid somebody manually checking stuff… ideally if they test actual lens on actual cameras ( so “they” - marketing ? - claim ) they save raw files from each of their test shots and they do record what was the actual distance for each of those test shots so that they can then automatically cross reference data from the tag in .ARW vs what they recorded for an actual distance and if everything fits just add that camera + lens module to the list for reading focusing distance from .ARW…

THAT IS IF THEY ACTUALLY DID THE TEST for EACH CAMERA MODEL vs EACH LENS and SAVE RAW FILES from ACTUAL SHOTS ( which one thinks is a natural approach - to save those raw files and mark clearly what was the distance to DxO’s target )

PS: claim is 90K optical modules = actual camera body ( assuming just one body ) vs actual lens ( assuming not multiple copies but one copy ) tested ( a claim that a human did all the test shots for each from 90K optical modules ) over 2 decades… let us see 90K x aperture (1/3 stops and 1/2 stops) x focusing distance ( say 5-10 steps between MFD and infinity ? ) x if zoom lens for each discernable zoom step… how many raw files they have ? do we still think they have them really ?

Once done they can’t redo ss they get loans. Could try again but I expect they have the information anf just need to add the working formula into existing camera data.after all as you manual move focus distance with some lenses there is a noticable change.

was published years ago - you can google it

This is DxO we sre talking about. New part finished add ons yes, get somthing working as promised, well…

I also tested A7CR = Sony a7CR sample gallery: Digital Photography Review

DxO PL7.1.0 / Win does read focusing distance from .ARW file

I had forgotten I converted my a6700 ARW to ILME-FX30 and it read focus distance so they have known back at the end of last year (or before then) how to get it working! Its really down to being willing to make the camera changes which you would have thought was almost a cut and past thing replacing the existing parts with code that works. Though I do wonder if the way the profiles are written has changed and no one knows how to change the older ones?