PL not reading distance from Sony ARW

before you in DxO rush to do that - remember that for some Sony models when 3rd party lenses are mounted the tag “FocusPosition2” in raw does not encode the distance ( to be calculated by a well known formula into the tag “FocusDistance2” ), but distance range ( to be mapped , totally not using the formula )

for example

using for example Canon EF 100/2 with Sigma MC-11 adapter on Sony A7R2 results in 5 values : 29 - 67 - 96 - 136 - 255 for tag 0x002d FocusPosition2

DxO PL6 has 6 distance ranges for EF 100/2 lens optics module = [ 0.9 - 1.57m ] + [ 1.57 - 3.03m ] + [ 3.03m - 12.51m ] + [ 12.51 - 40m ] + [ more than 40m ] + infinity …

so to automate focus detection “we” need to map 5 ranges provided by camera to 6 ranges in DxO optical module “C62333a”

0x002d FocusPosition2 = 255 it seems actually appears in a very-very close focus shots - extra testing needed to find out if that is the only case

0x002d FocusPosition2 = 136 it seems is a far distance focus : [ 12.51 - 40m ] + [ more than 40m ]

0x002d FocusPosition2 = 29 we can try [ 0.9 - 1.57m ]

0x002d FocusPosition2 = 67 we can try [ 1.57 - 3.03m ]

0x002d FocusPosition2 = 96 we can try [ 3.03m - 12.51m ]

PS: as DxO claims to test each actually physically each camera model x each lens - have fun !

while you are at dealing with Sony focusing distance may be you can consider a way to map Fuji optics correction data in RAF files in to focusing distance range for your optical modules…

understandably Fuji does not write ( at least not publicly known ) any tag w/ the focusing distance info in RAF, but Fuji does write a well known tags with their optics corrections data and as it is table based - that can be used to indirectly map into focusing distance ranges by DxO

just cross reference during the testing the values for distortion written by Fuji into optics correction tags vs actual focusing distance observed and use that mapping to select a focusing distance range for your optical modules in DxO PL later

This was not fixed so far in PL7 … still waiting , granted it is not the end of 2023 yet.

Reading focusing distance may be now, after over 3 years, been restored as the focusing menu option has gone for my Sony lenses. But it would help for us to be told it had happened!

no, I opened .ARW file for A7R2 + Sony’s native FE 55/1.8 lens in DxO PL v7.0.2 on Windows and as usual I can see a focusing distance tool showing me “infinity” ( aka 128m in .DOP ) … so nothing was fixed

All my lenses (Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS and E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS) are no longer displaying the distance in 6 and 7. There is clearly something odd if some of us have the distance correction removed and others do not. It sounds as if they have done it for some lenses and not others. The silence about any changes is deafening and changes to what if your lens still isn’t reporting distance and my ones are?

again - focusing tool is not displayed for a lens when DxO thinks there is no need for different corrections @ different focusing distances ( even when they are not reading that distance from a raw file = Sony OR when it is genuinely missing = Fuji )… it was the same in PL6 and now in PL7

I have found with the new version only my 70-350 E lens is reading distance. All three were not showing the manual correction with the last version but two are again now.

I would think that’s more camera specific rather then lens specific. The lens has distance info or not and the camera registers that in the raw file.

George

No, the 70-350mm lens focus distance is now being read, I hope, when on a6000, a6400 and a6700. With the last PL build I checked old images from all three cameras and lenses and all had the manual distance missing. With the new 7.1 two lenses again have manual focus distance showing. I don’t know what happened, the 7.02 may have had a “error” in the Sony a 6000 series losing the manual adjustment (which is worrying as how many others could be like that?) as I take it the lenses information determines the ability to read focus distance?

The image has the focus distance in it there was an earlier discussion on how to read it and basically DxO were not getting it originally from the right place. There was a way given in that discussion on how to use another program to extract the distance and add it to dop’s (I never managed to get it to work).
The other problem is the secrecy of DxO they cut focus distance reading from many Sony lenses with out telling customers they had done it and now have restored it to some (no idea which Sony lenses but looks like my 70-350 is one) again not telling anyone.

I will add I now find my old 70-350 still have manual focusing showing. New ones do not. I hadn’t checked old ones before this morning as they current ones were not displaying the manual adjustment. Current 16-70 and 90mm lenses have the manual adjustment there and all tree with 7.0.2 hadn’t got it there. As I have deleted the database it’s the information in dop’s that’s overriding automatic focus reading? I will tray latter by copying an exiting image and editing from scratch.

I am totally lost as to what’s going on I deleted the data base, copied a 70-350 ARW from 2022) that needed manual focus distance to a test folder. It was still shown as needing manual distance it in the new folder. I then found ARW from the 16-70mm and 90mm macro did not need manual adjustment in recent years. But all three change to needing manual focus distance early 2022 back. I can’t see what changes relate to why the differences, this is on different bodies. Two bodies haven’t had a firmware change in years and the 6700 results are the same whichever the firmware version. None of the lenses have ever had firmware updates. The only differences are down to what DXO have done and I just can’t see what changes that alow focus distance reading for some ARW are not for other ones on the same cameras. What confuses me the most is why a ARW that needs manual distance when moved with a database deleted and no dop still needs manual focus distance when ARWs taken on the same camera/lenses do not?

I have finished a further test. Used the 3 lens on a6700 and a6400 added them via my DAM and all 6 didn’t have the manual distance there BUT the ARW already added taken on the 6400 did. There has been NO firmware change for the lens or camera since the one needing manual distance was taken but today the same lenses/camera didn’t need it?

do you mind to share 7 raw files ? one set of 6 raws = “Used the 3 lens on a6700 and a6400 added them via my DAM and all 6 didn’t have the manual distance” and one set of 1 raw = " ARW already added taken on the 6400 did." ?

thank you

3 from a6400
_6400976.ARW (23.8 MB)
_6400974.ARW (23.8 MB)
_6400975.ARW (23.8 MB)

3 from a6700
67001538.ARW (29.2 MB)
67001539.ARW (29.2 MB)
67001537.ARW (29.0 MB)

One from last year a6700 and 70-350 still needing manual focus distance
_DSC7185.ARW.ARW (23.9 MB)

This is getting mad, the 6400 now show manual distance I am sure this morning they didn’t!

a cup of coffee does magic !

Strange. If I view the files in exiftools gui they don’t have a xmp section. None of them.

George

DxO PL7 v7.1.0 on Windows

[67001538.ARW| - A6700 camera
[67001539.ARW| - A6700 camera
[67001537.ARW| - A6700 camera

those 3 files do not have focusing distance tool presented in UI = as we know this means that either [A] DxO PL reads the focusing distance ( whether there is one set or multiple sets of corrections for various focusing distances ) -OR- [B] DxO PL does not read focusing distance BUT has just one set of corrections to apply ( so on Windows it does not display the tool

DxO PL7 v7.1.0 on Windows

[_6400976.ARW| - A6400 camera
[_6400974.ARW| - A6400 camera
[_6400975.ARW| - A6400 camera

those 3 files have focusing distance tool presented in UI = DxO PL does not read focusing distance from .ARW AND has more than one set of corrections for different focusing distances ( for a user to select )