Photolab v8 News

I live in the UK, and a check of my account, shows I can upgrade to PL8 for £99, which includes 20% VAT. A check shows £99 is worth €117.21 or US$130.29. Have to say, paying over the odds is nothing unusual in the UK!

1 Like

Yes, there are four comparison modes. Whole images side to side, whole images top and bottom, moving dividing line side to side and moving dividing line top to bottom. In each case you have a choice of either seeing before and after versions of a single image or comparing an image to a different image.

Mark

1 Like

Thanks, Mark - DxO hasn’t made this clear, but I think you did. Looking forward to trying it out.

I too am disappointed that the DxO programs (PhotoLab 8 and PureRaw 4) do not yet support the X-Trans RAW files with the latest noise reduction options.

1 Like

Unfortunately, selecting a second image to compare is not quite as straightforward or fast as I would have liked. But perhaps others will be more comfortable with the process.

Mark

Indeed. Lightroom: Select image 1, hit the “C” key (compare) and you can then flip through a series effortlessly. Or select image 1, hold the option key and select image 2 and hit “C”.

DxO have chosen the way of French cuisine: It’s nice, but complicated compared to e.g. Italian cooking.

1 Like

If so, that would be great. I look forward to seeing a video of this somewhere.
This seems to show it at 23:25

And here:

Can’t believe there’s still no HEIC or ProRAW support

1 Like

Yes, that is the case.

I don’t see split view left/right, top/bottom comparison modes on the video above ( #28).
Does this mean not every version has it ?

No, it just means they weren’t demonstrated

Contrary to our fears, the license model has not been changed. Thank you DxO.
My personal expectations of version 8 were not met, I would have liked more for this upgrade price. I am waiting for BF.

2 Likes

I think I’ll do the same. I don’t see anything ground-breaking enough to warrant a full-priced upgrade fee.

Wonder what % of sales happens during Black Friday logical to wait.

I purchased my original PL on BF

1 Like

Fair enough … Just be aware, tho; DxO allows an upgrade (at discounted price) for users owning previous and previous-to-that versions only - - after which full price is charged.

For example, owners of PLv6 and PLv7 can upgrade to PLv8 (at discounted upgrade price) … but owners of PLv5 and earlier miss out, and must pay full price for PLv8.

2 Likes

Appreciated, thank you! I likely will upgrade at a Black Friday discount or similar and have done for the previous versions since about v5… but I’m not desperate to get my hands on this version based on what’s added/changed.

I think I’m going to upgrade to version 8, but I have a question that maybe someone can help me solve.
When I bought Photolab 5 it was possible to have the program open on two devices simultaneously. I have at home a Mac laptop that I hardly ever turn off and in the studio a desktop PC.
I don’t remember if from 6 or 7 onwards they said that it was still possible to install it on three devices but it could only be used on one. I contacted them and they replied that for former users this “privilege” was maintained.
Now, however, I have asked again about v8 and the answer has been that it is not allowed and that they could cancel the license if I have it open in both.
I do not know if the person who answered me does not know all the details or it is really like that.

1 Like

DxO’s official answer is that the software should not be run on more than one computer simultaneously. Even if trying to do so works, it violates the licensing agreement:

Again learning of a new major version. Y accident by dropping into the forum.

(Looks at what cameras are supported)

Sigh. Still no phones beyond Galaxy S5 and iPhone X.

At what point are DxO going to accept that most photos are now taken on phones and support the cameras that most people use most?

Generic Android DNG support was “already in our backlog [of features to add]” back in June 2018, with no sign whatsoever of it ever appearing. I’ve given up hope. I’ve also stopped upgrading, because what’s the point?

2 Likes