Photolab v8 News

New in DxO PhotoLab 8.0

DeepPRIME XD2s:
Enhanced Denoising:Discover DeepPRIME XD2s for more powerful denoising. It delivers even greater detail and ensures exceptionally smooth bokeh in your images.

Enhanced Tone Curve:
• Tone Picker: A new tone picker tool allows you to match a point on the curve to the corresponding part of an image. By hovering over your image, you can see where a given tone lies on the curve. Clicking on a point in the image creates a corresponding point on the curve, which you can then adjust precisely by dragging on the image.
• Luma Curve: A new “Luma” curve has been added, enabling you to adjust the brightness of your image without affecting the colors. This is particularly useful for fine-tuning the exposure and contrast while preserving the
original color integrity.
• Built-in Presets: The Tone Curve tool now includes built-in presets that use both RGB and Luma channels. These presets provide quick starting points for common adjustments, helping you achieve desired effects more efficiently.
• Custom Presets: You can now create, save, and manage custom Tone Curve presets. These presets can be saved with specific settings for the RGB channels; individual Red, Green, and Blue channels; as well as the Luma channel.
• Improved Usability: Several user interface enhancements have been made to improve the usability of the Tone Curve tool, including more precise control over curve points, better visualization of adjustments, and a more intuitive layout for accessing different curve options.

Hue Masks:
• Create local adjustment masks based on a specific hue within your image. Fine-tune the selected hue range and its fall-off using the trapezoid control for more precise adjustments. The selection point automatically relocates to the corresponding color position on the image for further refinement.

Improved Comparison Mode:
• New Options: Side-by-side, top/bottom, split view left/right, and split view top/bottom comparison modes.
• External References: Select external images as references with options for “no corrections” and known edits.

New Loupe tool:
• Real-Time Previews: The new Loupe tool allows you to preview the effects of denoising alongside all other edits in real time. This makes it easier to see the impact of changes on your image without needing to zoom in and out constantly.
• Detail Examination: With the Loupe tool, you can closely examine specific areas of your image to see fine details, such as the effects of chromatic aberration correction, unsharp mask, and lens softness adjustments.
• Size Options: The Loupe tool offers two size options: large (742x448 px) and small (376x224 px). This flexibility allows you to choose the best view for your workflow and screen size.

Correction preview on roll-over:
• DxO PhotoLab 8.0 introduces a new capability that allows you to preview the effects of dropdown menu corrections directly in the viewer. When you hover over different options in dropdown menus, such as Smart Lighting, Tone Curve, Color Rendering, LUTs, and Style Toning, the viewer displays the potential changes in real-time

FilmStrip Performance:
• Improvement: Enhanced loading performance for images in the FilmStrip.

Known Limitations:
• Please be aware that X-Trans RAW files are currently not supported by DeepPRIME XD2s; DeepPRIME XD will be applied instead.

Bug Fixes and Improvements:
• Minor bug fixes and improvements

2 Likes

I’ve been a PhotoLab user for many years and I’ve just purchased the upgrade for the new release. Thanks for the good work, please keep it up.

That being said, I can’t help but wonder about the immense price difference between the US$ and the € price for the upgrade (99 US$ vs 109 €). At the current exchange rate we’re talking about a premium of more than 20% that your European users pay – this surely can’t just be explained by taxes, can it? Please don’t take this as nagging but it’d make it easier to understand why a product by a European company is more expensive for European users than for e. g. US users. Thanks for any insights you can share!

1 Like

I’m a little bit surprised and very disappointed. The artefacts in XD are still there (these artefacts are indirectly confirmed by this announcement) and I was hoping that we would at least get an update in DPR 4. The lack of support for X-Trans files in XD2 is becoming a problem for Fujifilm users (and obviously for DxO too, by the way).

Moreover, I don’t see any announcement about the necessary global evolution of the DPL user interface which has become clumsy and confusing.

I was almost decided to switch to a Lightroom + DPR strategy but now I’m wondering if a Lightroom + Topaz Labs tools wouldn’t be better. After all, these tools work with RAW and non-RAW files.

4 Likes

good update I think - the compare upgrades really help me. I would have liked to see the ability to adjust shape of point adjustments but maybe that will come Ala nik7
bought upgrade for PL7 as worth it for me

The website says “Starting at $99”. I am not sure exactly what that means. The US$ upgrade price for PL 8 Elite is $109. The attached is from my account.

Hue mask. Good.
But not luminosity mask ? Still locked to FP ?

1 Like

Thanks for posting the screenshot. My question is based on the price of 99 US$ mentioned by a number of photo news outlets (e. g. F-Stoppers and others). I didn’t find an obvious way to change currencies in the DxO shop so I relied on that info. Anyhow, 109 US$ is still more than 10% cheaper than 109 €.

To be clear: this is not complaining, this is looking for a sound explanation. :slight_smile: It’s too late anyhow, I bought the update already. :sweat_smile:

The website says “Starting at $99”. I am not sure exactly what that means. Perhaps that is the upgrade cost for those who buy PhotoLab 8 Essential and later decide to upgrade to the Elite version.

Mark

Market size: The bigger the market, the lower the price can be. Attracts buyers…and keeps overall profits high.

However, in this case the upgrade price in USD from PL 7 Elite to PL 8 Elite is not $99, It is $109 as I posted above. This is from my account. The “Starting at $99” reference on the website must refer to something else. DxO’s pricing model with its many different options has always been confusing.

Mark

Their pricing is difficult to understand. I own a Nik license as well. Back when I upgraded to Nik6 they bundled it with the PL Essential Edition. So next to my PL Elite edition license I own an Essentials license. My question to DxO why Elite Edition license holders don’t simply get a discount on Nik instead of an additional PL Essential license that’s of no use at all to them was never satisfyingly answered. I do like DxO products but I feel frustrated that they don’t make it more attractive for PL Elite + Nik + FP Elite + VP license holders to upgrade everything in one bundle for reasonable price.

2 Likes

Solo mode in both right and left panels maybe ? After all these years and so many requests ?

1 Like

I don’t think solo mode will be introduced any time soon.

Mark

I’m not sure, but often US prices do not include local VAT. The price in € includes VAT.

2 Likes

Still no HEIC or ProRAW support. I’ll pass.

3 Likes

Perhaps a very useful upgrade for most users, but not for me as long as HEIC nor ProRAW are supported. Time to move on, spend my money elsewhere…

4 Likes

Someone is probably cheating regular customers - advertising “from 99 euro upgrade” but on my account with PL 7 elite - 109 euro :frowning:

2 Likes

The new version interests me, but will cost me $229 according to my store account. No new-release sale? I am subscribed to e-mail, but haven’t received any e-mail announcement or offer yet.

1 Like

Improved Comparison Mode:
• New Options: Side-by-side
Does this mean two different images viewed side by side?

Doesn’t look like it, but there is always Black Friday and X-Mas.

Eventually, the bundle of PL, FP and VP will be back too.