Nik Collection : process dng files. in particular those generated by Photolab

This will be particularly useful for dng files exported by Photolab 4, but not only those.

Thanks

1 Like

Being able to process raw files directly in the Nik Collection has been brought up on a number of occasions since DXO acquired it.

Integrating raw files with PhotoLab edits into the Nik Collection would have required that Nik could access either the database or the .dop files. It probably would have been a significant effort to integrate raw processing into Nik.

That was before. Now that PhotoLab reads and writes .DNG files, integrating them into the Nik Collection would eliminate the need to access the database or the sidecar files. As a result what you are proposing seems more likely to be possible than the earlier requests for raw support in the Nik Collection. I will support it with my vote…

Mark

3 Likes

Voted for it too.

3 Likes

dng files created by Photolab should be processable by Nik Collection - Could someone from DxO take on this issue, please !

2 Likes

Unfortunately DxO does not respond to us anymore.

Hi Mark. You bring up an interesting scenario. If PL could demosaic and denoise the RAW and NIK could work on the demosaiced file then the NIK collection could work it’s magic while editing is still in progress. As you point out this is probably asking too much. I’ve never thought about it this way before.

I want this too (as my Leica Q3 produces DNG files OOC - how do I vote?

Just use the vote button

DNG convert to TIFF, now Nik 7 will work.

If this feature request is to have Nik via PhotoLab NOT create a TIFF file for Nic to work, then YES PLEASE! Voted.

TiIF files are usually much larger than DNG files produced by Photolab. Thus, the exchange process between programs would be more efficient using DNG files.

The DNG file can also contain the full metadata of the original raw files

This feature would not remove the ability to use the TIF file format. It would be a user choice.

I want to reply here to correct my above post about DNG efficiency. DNGs produced by PL have a depth of 8 bits, not 16 bits. This explains the size difference between TIFF and DNG files.

What would be really useful is the ability for PL and Nik to produce compressed or uncompressed DNGs with a user-selectable bit depth with sidecar files for Nik settings. This would avoid the current process whereby an already large 16-bit TIFF file used as input is doubled in size after Nik processing and saving it as an editable TIFF ( bloated size because the file contains the before and after images ).

you can always delete that .tiff file once you done, not like PL will re-used this one for any come back for further processing.
yes DxO should work on Nik to be able to work from PL without the need of tiff or even DNG like FP or VP, it’s been asked many times but the light never pierced the clouds.

I usually do not want to delete the file because it contains the adjustments. It is not practical to create a preset for each images processed in Nik.

the tiff file sent to nik doesn’t contain or save anything you do within the nik plugin, you have to save your edit as a preset within that plugin if you ever want to edit this file again, so that tiff file doesn’t have to be kept and take space on your drive.

Not quite. True the TIF file created by PL has no presets with it. However, within Nik, you can re-save the TIF file with the settings used for processing in Nik, for later tweaking if needed. To keep the settings used for Nik processing, the alternative is to create a Nik preset : Having a large number of presets is highly unpractical.