Issue with DXO files being imported into Lightroom Classic

I have an issue with files processed by DXO PureRaw 4.2.0 and then imported into Lightroom Classic 13.3.

If I import the raw NEF file it imports and uses Process Version 6 (current version). If however I open the NEF file with DXO PureRaw and then try to import the file into Lightroom Classic it imports with the very old Process Version 1 and much of the functionality of Lightroom is lost.

This only happens with Lightroom set to import files with Camera Settings (in preferences > presets > global). If I change this to Adobe Defaults it loads with the correct Process Version 6.

I have been in contact with Adobe and they suggest that this is a bug in DXO PureRaw. They provided the following explanation:

DETAILS

The DXO DNG includes Develop settings, both defining camera defaults for that file and current Develop settings…

When LR imports the file with Global set to Camera Settings, it applies the camera defaults defined in the DXO DNG and then applies the develop settings. It’s this combination of defaults and settings that is setting Process Version to 1, Profile to Adobe Standard, and Detail settings to 0.

After importing, when you click the Reset button, LR resets the develop settings to the camera defaults specified in the file. At this point, Process Version goes to 6 and Profile to Camera Standard,. Also strange is that the file’s camera defaults define various Detail settings: The develop settings define all those to be 0. so when you first import the file they’re all 0, but when you hit Reset to apply the camera defaults defined in the file, they go to the settings above.

I’m not sure what DXO is trying to accomplish here, and whether this is a DXO bug.

Any advice would be appreciated

1 Like

I’m having exactly the same problem since I update PureRaw to 3.13.0.42. I’m using Lightroom 6.0 (which I know is an old version). Its default colour process is 2012. But the PureRaw dng files now import as 2003 process. It took me a while to figure out why all the sliders were changed! DXO has messed something up with the latest updates of versions 3 and 4 of PureRaw. At least I’ve figured out that I can manually change the files back to process 2012–highlight and hit ctrl-shft-R (reset). But this is a bug that will leave lots of people mystified. Note that I don’t see a preference setting to change the import behaviour in my version of Lightroom.

1 Like

Opening the raw NEF file in Photoshop and viewing the XMP information in the File Info menu option and selecting Raw Data there is a line entry that says:

<crs:ProcessVersion>15.4</crs:ProcessVersion>

Opening the file after passing through DXO PureRaw 4.2.0 the line has changed to:

<crs:ProcessVersion>5.0</crs:ProcessVersion>

I tried turning off all adjustments in PureRaw but got the same entry.
For comparison I tried the noise reduction and optical correction using DXO PhotoLab 7.7.0 and the processed dng imported into Lightroom Classic correctly using Process Version 6. Viewing the XMP data again in Photoshop the line entry stated:

<crs:ProcessVersion>15.4</crs:ProcessVersion>

i.e. the same as the original raw NEF file.

So it seems that DXO PureRaw is changing the value for the crs:ProcessVersion line entry from 15.4 to 5.0 while PhotoLab 7 doesn’t do this. This seems to instruct Lightroom to apply the earlier process version. As this entry is only read when Lightroom Classic is set to use Camera Settings on import it explains why it doesn’t cause the same problem when importing with Adobe Defaults.

From answer to my post on Adobe forums:

DXO is using the wrong numbering scheme for process version. LR and Camera Raw use an internal numbering scheme for representing process version in their develop settings (what you see in the XMP), while the products display an external numbering scheme in the user interface. Here’s the mapping between external numbering and internal numbering (which I reversed engineered for my Any Filter plugin):

"Version 1",        "5.0",
"Version 2",        "5.7",
"Version 3 (beta)", "6.6",
"Version 3",        "6.7",
"Version 4",        "10.0"
"Version 5",        "11.0"
"Version 6",        "15.4"

So when DXO records crs:ProcessVersion = 5.0, they’re thinking they’re referring to external Version 5 / internal Version 11.0, but in fact they’re getting internal version 5.0 / external Version 1.0.

Interressant toutes ces explications , mais franchement on s’en moque… que DXO fasse un correctif et basta.

Here’s what Adobe has to say about it:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/process-versions.html

Ive been in discussions with DXO support and they believe they have a fix ready for the next release

1 Like

I have an identical problem with Canon CR3 and DJI DNG raw files (so basically all of them).
They all get imported with a custom preset and process version 1.0. This didnt happen previously.

Very disappointed to find that this issue is STILL not fixed in 4.3.0

Do DXO read these forums or is there another way to report bugs?

No doubt DXO will release a fix but make us pay for it

It is generally assumed that DxO do read this forum but I don’t think anyone really knows for certain how much attention they pay to any of the posts.

To report bugs, and anything else, to DxO, use this page:
https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Can confirm the bug still exists after the latest update

Me too! I ve become dependent on pureraw for processing batches of high ISO event photos. The timing couldn’t be worse. I’m going to stop whining and give LR’s noise reduction feature a shot.

The latest upgrade (3.14) has not fixed this problem.

Me too, I am on 4.3 and have this problem, going through diagnostics with Dxo support but given this conversation I guess they already know there is a bug and it’s not just something odd at my end.

Just downloaded the latest update and disappointed to see that this is STILL not fixed.

Key point. If you are currently in touch with the support and they are still asking you to run diagnostics, this means that there’s something wrong with the bug tracking system at DxO. Not a real surprise, though.

Message I got after contacting them.
Hello R,

Thanks for the details.

As you have the updated version of the software installed in your device may you try this please, in LRc when loading with LRc 13.4 you may see or it shows the calibration process version becomes 1, you may manually select specified version 6 to see it will work.

Our Team is currently checking on this and let us know if this works.
If not, then we will need to go further.

So I have let them no, waiting response

Well I got acknowledgement that they have my diagnostics file, I guess I better not hold my breath

Typical. Of course, this will work.

Update released 07 Aug 24
Did it fix the problem?
NO!!!
One of the reasons I moved from Topaz to DXO was the problems Topaz kept having, out the frying pan into the fire.

I just installed this new release and made a few tests with PS and LR Classic, latest versions.

When the processed files don’t have any XMP info about the process version, it’s correctly set to current version (6).

I then tried with files having associated XMP information about the process version. All files had the crs:ProcessVersion tag in the XMP data set to 11 which means that the process version displayed in PS ACR and LR should be 5, according to this table :

“Version 1”, “5.0”,
“Version 2”, “5.7”,
“Version 3 (beta)”, “6.6”,
“Version 3”, “6.7”,
“Version 4”, “10.0”
“Version 5”, “11.0”
“Version 6”, “15.4”

I exported to PS and LR and in both cases the Process Version was correctly set to 5.

So, in my case, things appear to work as expected…