How to save in full resolution

Clever people,

When I save photos processed in Film Pack, the files are roughly one third of the size of the original, but the width and height in pixels are the same, so is the DPI (300).

The saved photos however are grainy when zooming in on various parts of them.

I’m using the free demo-version. Might this be the reason?

Thanks in advance,

Kasper

It sounds like you are using FilmPack as a stand alone application, is that correct?

1 Like

@kasperbergholt You ‘liked’ my reply so I presume that means, “Yes, I am using FilmPack as a standalone application.”

In which case:

1. what type of file did you open? RAW / TIFF / JPEG?
  2. what file type did you use when you saved your edited file?

You saved it in a to low resolution. It must be jpg.

George

Very probably but rather than making assumptions I’m trying to get @kasperbergholt to give us enough details to enable us give a definitive answer.

1 Like

… especially as there had been a similiar question or problem

@kasperbergholt

That was with Nik. Same problem except that the used quality was not the shown/wanted quality.

George

1 Like

You’re making an assumption again. Until @kasperbergholt responds we can’t be sure.

If the image size is the same but the file size much smaller it can only be a matter of compression. My thoughts. I don’t know why that can’t be said.
If it’s something else I’m glad I learned something. :grinning:
Something as an tiff input file and a jpg output file.

George

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m sorry for the late response. It’s because my comments have been awaiting approval for more than 48 hours (new user posting over a weekend, I assume).

The input format was RAW straight from my Nikon D3, and the export format was jpeg.

I did, however, find the solution by playing a bit around.

Unconventionally, at least to me, the quality setting is to be found this way:

Clik the ‘burger menu’ in the top-left corner → choose ‘Peferences’ → then the ‘Processing’ tab → and lastly ‘Save JPG with default quality’.

I’m not sure when this comments is approved.

Thanks for heling out :slight_smile:

Hi stuck, yes that’s correct.

So you’re comparing the RAW file size with a JPG file size?

George

So you are opening a RAW file (Nikon .def) in the standalone version of FilmPack and saving the edited file as a JPEG. In which case a large drop in file size is to be expected.

You’ve already found the solution to preventing the JPEG output being low resolution / highly compressed.

My next question is for others who frequent this forum and know more about DxO products than I do, perhaps @Wolfgang @Joanna @mwsilvers

FilmPack is not a RAW converter so when a RAW file is opened in the stand alone version of FilmPack, what happens? Does FilmPack simply extract the embedded JPEG and edit that?

While we are waiting for any wisdom from others on that question, @kasperbergholt how do you normally process your RAW files? Do you use PhotoLab? Or do you use another application Lightroom / Photoshop / whatever? If you use Photolab then there is no need for you to use FilmPack as a standalone application because all of its features are available (at additional cost) within PhotoLab.

1 Like

Former “FilmPack Elite” – and since FP 7 “Filmpack” – is able to develop the raw-file and apply the lens (provided that camera + lens combination are known to the version).

screenshot from FP6

That is, you can work on the raw-file with the available tools and export the result as *.jpg or *.tif.

1 Like

From FilmPack 6 manual.

Support for RAW format
Now supporting RAW format, DxO FilmPack uses the calibrated data from your camera to apply analog presets with perfectly faithful colors.
And as it is based on all of DxO’s RAW processing know-how, DxO FilmPack automatically corrects — without any intervention on your part —
all of your equipment’s possible optical flaws: distortion, vignetting, and chromatic aberrations, all while efficiently reducing the undesirable
digital noise in your images.

New to me too.

George

Thank you @Wolfgang I never knew that, but then I have PL so I never use FP as a standalone so why would I?

Hi again,

Normally I run the raw files through either Hasselblad Phocus or Nikon NX Studio - depending on mood.

I’ve given Photolab (and Capture One and RawTherapee) a test spin about month ago but came to the conclusion that I’d be using too little of the functions it offers.

I’m on a trial plan on the FilmPack.

Seeing Wolfgang’s reply, everything should be okay as long as the raw files can be opened in FIlmPack (I didn’t have to select camera or lens before being able to export to jpeg).

Would there be theoretical and/or practical benefits to do the processing as a two-step procedure?

I can upload a version of the processed raw file after processing in FilmPack and a jpeg version of the raw file.

Thanks again for all the input - it’s appreciated :slight_smile:

No – at least not with jpeg output format. Better to complete development from the raw file as far as possible. When you are not sure yet, then save as tiff format, but in general avoid to work on a jpeg file, which is already compressed etc.

1 Like

What does this mean? Reading the manual you can set the quality. Did you change it and was the grainy effect gone?

George

1 Like

“Default” (out of the box) is 80% and if to reduce quality & size to a lesser amount, one can customize /set it to 100% …

1 Like