How to save in full resolution

The RAW file never gets changed. No matter what you do, PhotoLab, FilmPack and most other RAW editing tools are non-destructive. The only way to see the changed image is to export it to TIFF, JPEG or DNG, all of which will have different file sizes.

You say that you are using NX Studio and then moving on to something else, like FilmPack. But, in fact, you can start from the RAW file in PhotoLab and do everything you need in that alone, because PhotoLab includes FilmPack embedded in it, as well as ViewPoint. You don’t need the standalone applications and you certainly don’t need any pre-processing like NX Studio.

1 Like

Except, if I understand correctly, if you do that you get little control over the RAW development because FilmPack as a standalone application simply applies DxO’s lens corrections and then only offers you its various film emulations by way of further editing options.

As others have already said, it would be far more beneficial to either develop your RAW file in PhotoLab (with FilmPack activated) or develop your RAW file in your RAW converter of choice and output a 16 bit TIFF from there for final editing in FP standalone.

2 Likes

Hmmm, no – see here

screenshot from FP6 Elite → the reddish highlighted tools are those automated corrections

The new FP7 offers more (different) choices
(check the DxO site, when they have finished some maintenance work).

1 Like

Hmmm, but even with such controls I still stand by my assertion that:

Yes, compared to a fully featured PhotoLab version it’s “simplified”, while the new FP7 got more (different) tools.

Some time ago I also checked the denoising capability vs PL – and if I remember correctly the FP denoising is not quite on par with DeepPrime (or XD ?).

1 Like

It means that the default setting is quite heavily compressed, at around 80%.

Adjusting to 100% quality solved the problem.

Exports from NX Studio and FilmPack now result in similarly sized jpeg files (FilmPack’s a bit larger).

The original FilmPack jpeg version was third the size of a comparable jpeg export from NX Studio with the default compression setting.

I’ve been comparing jpeg to jpeg file size from the begnning, which my original post was unclear on.

Hope this clears things up a bit?

Good point But I don’t have a license for Photolab; my use case was/is using the stand-alone version of FilmPack.

Thank you, Wolfgang. I see a lot of settings in FP7in the ‘customize’ tab → White balance, contras, exposure, highlights, midtones, shadows, blacks, saturation, tone curve.

Plenty of parameters to tweak for my use :slight_smile:

It was not clear you did that. Now it is.

George