Exporting to disk takes extremely long with DeepPRIME XD

It’s the same with me but my biggest problem is that my CPU is running at 100%. I have relatively slow GPU NVIDIA 1030 but never had issues until now. The process time is around 8-9 minutes as well.

From: https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4432757357073-DeepPRIME-DeepPRIME-XD-hardware-acceleration

For a better experience, be sure at least to match our recommended requirements:
Microsoft Windows recommended requirements: NVIDIA RTX™ 2060, AMD Radeon™ RX 6600 or better with the latest drivers

Based on what @kal said (Hello @kal :slight_smile: ), could it be that the older CPUs now struggle because the code has been optimized to use functions they don’t have and that the changes in processing times have nothing to do with older GPUs that weren’t really doing anything with DeepPrime anyway?

EDIT to add: Perhaps the code using CPU for processing is broken and only GPU processing works correctly. Can anyone verify this comparing older and current versions of PhotoLab with CPU only processing on a curent CPU?

@kal I gave figures earlier in this post that showed that as far as I could tell there was no issue with exporting on my machines.

However, after behaving for a while PL6.10 started sending the processor usage to 100% and causing the processor fan to become more audible. Just clicking on an image would cause a spike for a while and then the machine would calm down and then another click would start the whole thing off again.

This has nothing to do with exporting but appears to be some sort of looping in PL6.10 and makes the machine unusable during each spike @DxO_Support-Team.

Out of curiosity: in Edit > Preferences > Performance, is the video card still selectable for DeepPRIME acceleration?

Yes, that’s exactly my experience too.

@kal Just started PL6.10 up and it started on an image that has been causing problems in particular.

The system slowed, then I jumped to another test image and that was fine, but that might deteriorate later, returned to the first image that cause the issue and lost mouse control for a short period.

Process Lasso only stalled slightly this time and the graph shows this

but the third incident shows the responsiveness of the system, shown in red, vanishing for a short time.

I will create a topic and then make a formal support request later this morning.

As I stated before this is not anything to do with exporting but simply traversing images, in this case with VCs and I was testing HSL in particular.

Selecting VC[1] is shown in the graph below and the width of the peak is narrow because Process Lasso stalled completely, please note the PhotoLab processor consumption at that point to simply render the thumbnail and the image (which is actually not in the display)!

it takes you 8 min per each file to export to DNG DeepPrimeXD?

You made me curious … and exported a 64MB raw-file as 16bit TIFF / AdobeRGB

• PL5.15.0 Build 4902
    with DeepPrime → 20-21 sec

• PL6.10.0 Build 284
    with DeepPrime → 16 sec
    with DeepPrimeXD → 41-42 sec

• PL7.0.1 Build 76
    with DeepPrime → 16 sec
    with DeepPrimeXD → 41-42 sec

In all cases the task manager showed (more or less) full use of GPU !

i7-8700 / 3,2GHz // 32GB
NVidida GTX 1060 6GB / Studio driver v536.99
Win10 pro, latest version

Checked DPL 5, 6 and 7 on macOS Monterey on iMac 2019 (8 core i9, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB)
The times I got with No Correction and virtual copies (master with HQ, copy with DP)
produce the following average values.

• DPL5: 5.75 seconds/image
  • DPL6: 5.10 seconds/image
  • DPL7: 5.10 seconds/image

Test with 60 image files, 1.3 GB total

I have recently contacted DxO customer support in relation to this matter. The matter is not new and effects both PL6 & PL7. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super GPU installed on my PC with the latest studio drivers. Intermittently when exporting files using DeepPRIME or DeepPRIME XD, it is clear that the GPU is not being utilised resulting in extremely long export times. Restarting PL6/PL7 resolves the matter in the short term.

1 Like

Add me to the problem group with NVidia GTX 1050 card. I tried to set it to both “Automatic” and NVidia in performance settings with no observable changes to export speed. I started a new thread not knowing this one existed. Found it thanks to BHAYT.