Does PhotoLab 5 have an option to take a dng image and convert it to black & white?

Why can’t I open that image of the garage? Exif corrupted.

George

Good morning,
my fast and furious interpretation, because I like more details in the shadows and dark. Without great work on geometry and croping. Filemulation is Ilford XP2

@Guenterm, I like the wider view. of your image. It frees the building from its tight crop corset.

Not sure about tonalities and details of all the interpretations. Too. much detail distracts from the building’s structure, which, imo, should be the defining element here.

1 Like

Dear @platypus,

thanks for the quick tip :smiley:

i made a fast change with 2 LA’s, but for me it’s too dark, but I understand what you tried to explain

Maybe I will spent more time this week, or wait what we will see.

Nice week to you

Guenter

1 Like

Me too - it looks more balanced to my eye

I can see what you mean about the crop and have changed mine to 5:4, by removing the lamp post on the right and allowing a bit more space on top.

Here are two different renderings:

Personally, I still like the “underlit” appearance against the darker sky to separate the buildings from the surroundings. Just a bit more Ansel Adams :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, quite different than your lobsters :wink:

1 Like

You’ve really got them with this one @mikemyers !!! Really well done :grinning:

based on your ‘idea’ w/ perspective

preparation in PL

finished in Nik SEP (now looking even more chaotic)

1 Like

That rendering is quite similar to my first of the two I posted.

Except you have got a much nicer rendering on the clouds. Mine are just a dull grey. I will have to rework mine a bit.

My mind feels like quicksand; what I thought was fine, and improved in Joanna’s rendering, now looks much better in Guenterm’s interpretation. The detail in the ground floor still annoys me, along with the car in the lower left corner that I wanted to remove. Funny, that I liked Guenterm’s interpretation until I saw his revised image, which I think is what I was trying to do, but it’s too “dark”.

Then Joanna’s two renderings - I like the. revised composition, but I dislike the ugly bottom of the roof, and that the shop windows at the bottom are back. But your second rendering looks perfect - the lower part of the roof is toned down so it isn’t so prominent, the shop windows are overshadowed by all the other detail, and the car at the bottom left is no longer cut off, and doesn’t detract from the image as I thought it would - if anything, it gives a little life to the image, and being in the corner, out of the way, I have no problem with it.

Wow, so much detail to deal with - I used to think “the more details the better”, but they are controlled better in the lower image. I agree with Guenterm:

This contradicts the way I’ve been thinking in the past, and proves the point - what is more important, the overall view with all the “structure” or all the details? Those last two images by Joanna prove what is more important.

Daniefrimley - thanks! It took forever to capture an image I liked, because people and cars kept getting in the way. I also keep moving around until I found (only) one spot to shoot from that gave me a view that I liked. Oh, and at the time, in my mind, I was shooting a color image. I never even considered black & white. After recent discussions here, I now think that color can be a “distraction”. A year ago I never thought that way, but PhotoLab and the various film renderings provide the tools to get the most out of B&W.

Wolfgang - I think you illustrated that last point - the color takes over, and the building fades away. The “finished” version brings back the real perspective, but takes away from the image. Your lower image reminds me of what I “saw”, but removing the perspective shows what I was “thinking” while I was standing there - and I deliberately included extra area so I could correct the perspective when I got home. I’m not sure if Joanna’s LF camera would have allowed the lens to go high enough to accomplish this… “chaotic” - yes!

I much prefer this second rendering of yours.

Mark

OK. But since seeing @Wolfgang’s rendering, my clouds were bugging me, so I reworked them with a couple of Control Points. My aim is to also to see if I can do the same but avoiding using SEP, which I don’t like as much as PL.

To me, it now looks like the clouds and right building “bookend” the main subject.

1 Like

Wow. That change really brought the clouds to life.
Yes, the white clouds and the white building at the right “frame” the garage.
(…but the top cloud now looks so bland and boring…)

I agree. I do like the clouds in @Wolfgang’s version very much.

Mark

@Joanna, the lower clouds now look fine, but @Wolfgang’s method made the clouds near the top look more “three dimensional”. (What is SEP?). He is the only person who brought out the “depth” in the upper clouds. I have no idea how he did that, as they don’t look that good in the color version he started with.

Now that those clouds are part of the image, how do we make the “flat” upper clouds look the way he did, using only PhotoLab?

Try local adjustments and play with the sliders.

SEP: Silver Efex Pro, an application of Nik Collection.

Many of you make these changes with the skill of a surgeon.
I feel like I’m using a “pocket knife”, but I did change the clouds on top, and the store-fronts on the ground floor, and a few other changes based on the way you all improved the image…

Maybe I can take this photo again, when the sky is prettier, and the sun will be a little behind me, so the “left” part of the image will be in bright sunlight…

Consider different points of view and daytimes to get a few shots of the 1111 Lincoln Road parking garage.

1 Like

Why is everybody choosing for a rather underexposed image?
Just the saturiation=0.

George

1 Like