Clouds in Black & White

I agree about how wonderful the images are, but it’s very important to always consider safety. I am trying to get a link to the recent webinar that I participated in, so you can watch it should you wish to.

You (or Helen) don’t want to put yourself in the path of an oncoming tornado.

The general links are:
webinars@myradar.com

…and:
MyRadar Webinar | Tornado Talk: The Science of Severe Weather

Wow! Very expressive! :clap:

Ah! In which case, I have absolutely no idea, since I only ever work in PhotoLab, from RAW files (most of the time)

I may well have a go at processing the image in PL7 & FP7, and see if I can improve the image. I could also rework it in SilverEfex, as the application has an extensive selection of local adjustments thanks to its Nik heritage.

We live on the northwest coast of Brittany. We don’t have the massive warm and cold air masses that you have in the US. We are on a peninsula, surrounded by relatively cold seas.

A sort of double edged sword, because it really limits our opportunities. The clouds that Helen took were just clouds with no winds worth worrying about.

The image was processed in Nik SilverEfex 6. It shows a threatening sky, and the sea defences at Anchorsholme at the north end of Blackpool, an Irish Sea coast holiday resort in North West England.

1 Like

@Joanna N’y aurait-il pas un peu trop d’accentuation** sur les deux images d’Helen ?

** I don’t know the English for this word.

Les fichiers ont été préparés pour l’impression en grand format, de sorte qu’ils ont tendance à paraître un peu croquants à une taille plus petite.

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum Annex, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, in Chantilly, Virginia . The Annex is not the facility located in Washington D.C.

Mark

5 Likes

Towering Cumulus Clouds - St Annes-on-Sea - North West England:

6 Likes

I went out for brunch with my nephew, and as he was driving me home, he told me he wanted a photo of Biscayne Bay with the unusual clouds.

For better or worse, this is what we saw. I didn’t like the color version, so I went back to Fuji Neopan Acros 100. The red filter did what I expected it to do, but the photo no longer looked “real”, whatever that means.

By the time this image was on my computer, the clouds were overhead, and there was no more blue sky to be seen. My moral from that story - never hesitate to take a photo. Capture what you see, and then try to improve on it.

@mikemyers :

Perhaps something as simple as applying a yellow filter, would produce a better result?

Indeed. Without blue sky, red is too much

Actually, the image I posted was with a red filter, but the image looked so dark, I lightened it up.

Here is what I first got with a red filter:

And here, with a yellow filter, as you suggested:

For a “plausible” photo, your choice of yellow is the most realistic, but for “drama” I like the red filter effect.

Maybe I need to adjust the brightness a bit more, so it’s in between those two…

So many choices…
Maybe I should have just left it in color…

Better still, try an orange filter

Orange Filter:

DSCF6303 | 2024-08-18.raf.dop (54.5 KB)

I need to rename all these to show the color filter that I used…

I think Orange is the best so far.

What you need to practise is altering contrast in B&W images by changing colour filters rather than just altering brightness and contrast.

See how the tonality of the water changes as well as the cloud to sky contrast.

Don’t forget, colour filters will not change cloud detail, only the contrast between the clouds and the blue sky.

To me, that has become obvious (finally!!) after the above tests. Long ago, I thought blue sky with clouds > red filter. I guess an orange filter is equally important. I have a drawer filled with a gazillion real (glass) colored filters, which I ought to just give away I guess.

Another reason for anyone/everyone to buy DxO “FilmPack”. If I didn’t already have it, I would be buying it immediately.

You really need to play around with colour filters in order to see the effect they have.

Here is a Gretag Macbeth chart with virtual copies for six different filters…

GretagMacbethChart.tiff (1,6 Mo)

GretagMacbethChart.tiff.dop (93,3 Ko)

Now, go to each one and see how altering the filter intensity slider affects the tonal balance.

Hmm, now I need to figure out what to do with this??? Doing a Google search didn’t help much. Maybe later today - I need to stop here and make breakfast.

Thanks, I think. :slight_smile: