Clouds in Black & White

The photo is an over-statement for Miami, here in South Florida, but what is happening north of here, still in Florida, is horrible. Sadly, hurricane season is just beginning here:
Getty Images
South Florida, where I live, got lucky.

Is it just me, or is Fuji Neopan 100, with red filter, one of the best way to show clouds?

We had one heck of a storm last November, with winds that took down power lines over a wide area. We had no electricity for about a week. Fortunately, we have a log fire for keeping warm and a gas stove top in the kitchen for cooking. It was really weird when the electricity eventually returned, but at a lower voltage, so the microwave oven took longer to cook stuff.

I certainly find it to be so, provided there is blue sky, otherwise you don’t need the red filter

A trial

1 Like

An other one.
I know, it’s not only the sky,

I’ve kept some details from the ground.

1 Like

2021 in Texel, Netherlands

2023, Bergen aan Zee, Netherlands

4 Likes

Etna, 2014

2 Likes

Face

3 Likes

2 Likes

La Cour carrée du Louvre (Paris - France)

3 Likes

Interesting! At first I thought a little more foreground and a little less sky would have been an improvement. However, after some additional thought, this is such an interesting and unusual composition that I probably would not want to change anything.

Mark

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. The fact is that I didn’t change much of the framing, just using VP to put everything vertical. The yard is simply paved (with good intentions, as hell) so not much interesting imho.

1 Like

Blackpool (holiday resort North West England) War Memorial and Centotaph.

First World War memorial with additional Second World War and later 20th century war inscriptions. Originally erected 1923 by the County Borough of Blackpool. Architect Ernest Prestwich. Bronze sculptures by Gilbert Ledward. HA Clegg & Sons builders. Messrs Kirkpatrick stonemasons.

Sorry but this one doesn’t work for me at all. My eye is drawn first to the vast empty foreground, then to the cenotaph. I only noticed the clouds once I realised this image was in the B&W clouds topic.

@stuck No need to be sorry :grinning:

I actually considered cropping it 1:1, but decided on 4:3. Personally my eyes are drawn to clouds, or I wouldn’t have posted the image. It wouldn’t do if we all had the same taste in images, and feedback is always appreciated.

Curious - what focal length lens was this photo shot with?
I suspect an extreme wide angle lens, 21mm ?

If I may be so bold - there is an obvious halo around the memorial, very common to overuse of certain LA tools.

If you would like to post the original and its DOP, there are ways of avoiding this.

If I may interrupt this conversation to announce that Helen and I may well have to give up cloud photography for good. I stumbled across a certain Mitch Dobrowner

Sheesh!!! Although it might have something to do with the fact that he obviously storm chases in areas that regularly produce such marvels. Anyone got a spare few thousand Euros and a Winnebago for a couple of years? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

But then I watched a video of one of his talks, which I found to be very encouraging, so it looks like I will be around for sometime to come, still learning from the greats and experimenting.

In the meantime, I have already posted one of Helen’s in another topic…

And here are two more that she took a few weeks ago less than five kilometres from home…

© Helen Summers 2024

© Helen Summers 2024

4 Likes

@mikemyers The metadata states 21.5mm

Joanna,

I processed the black & white image using Nik Collection 6 SilverEfex. In effect, the image in the forum is a JPEG produced from a rather large TIFF. Any pointers about reducing the halo would of course be appreciated.

Patrick

Joanna,

Helen’s images really are spectacular!