2023 Black Friday deal?

I think there is a mistake:
in germany the update-price is
FilmPack 7: 59€ (regularly 79€)

but without updating of PL7 it doesn’t work.
In my oppinion they have to reduce the update of the combi PL7+FP7 (now it’s even with BF 59€ + 89€)

3 Likes

You must have a promo code. We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious code :smiley: :rofl: :joy:

“It is mine, I tell you. My own. My precious. Yes, my precious.”

1 Like

Based on the prices posted by dxodm, I understand that the upgrade price of FP7 is that of the full license, which I find a bit surprising (and not coherent as it is not the case for ViewPoint). Am I reading this correctly ?

I just double-checked, because that does seem wrong, but yes, that’s what they’re offering me. Same price to upgrade as full price. Maybe because I would be upgrading from FP5? I don’t know. Not much of a bargain for features added. I would do luminosity masking in Lightroom anyway.

Denn leider bin ich nicht in Deutschland, sondern im Sudetenland. Ich musste für 89 € kaufen :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yes that could be true: my price is the update from FP6.
The pricing scheme is becoming more and more confusing.
In PL you can skip one version to update for less, in FP not? How long?

The upgrade price for Filmpack 7 is 89€ in Germany. My latest Filmpack Version is 3. Aktually checked on the DxO Meine Software page.

And in my case there is no upgrade discount from FP5. This wouldn’t be a problem if FP7 didn’t have a hostage feature. I was already blackmailed once with the fine contrast function in fp5.

So all is well. No difrencies in place of origin :smiley:

I understand the DXO updates policy. The problem is that after 2 updates in a row that bring me nothing, there is no guarantee that PL8 will please me. On the other hand, the price for a PL + FP update on Black Friday is almost the same as buying a new capture one license. And one more addition: if in a year I buy a new PL8 license (because I won’t be eligible for an update) I will keep my PL5 license which I can use on additional computers.

For me there was a lot of benefit in going from V5 to V7. The new colour working space (DXO Wide Gamut) alone would be worth it, then there is removing the clutter of the on-screen controls and soft proofing.
Ian

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of the wider working color space. Not for my day job. Moreover, if I could set sRGB for a workspace I would. I’m not against the possibility that those who want a wider workspace can choose it. But since it is their wish, it is only fair that they pay. Since there is nothing of my wishes - there is no reason to pay.

A wide working colour space is what every other raw converter uses eg Lightroom uses ProphotoRGB, it’s not a choice. The wide working space means that the edits can be performed as accurately as possible without the working space introducing restrictions.

If you want to edit in a particular colour space eg for web use, you simply turn on soft proofing. In Capture One for example you are always in colour Soft Proofing mode

The wide colour space and colour proofing removed 2 of Photolab’s big drawbacks.

2 Likes

1 hour of work with Photolab 7 was enough for me to uninstall it. In short: I don’t like it! While DXO’s offering is expensive, if I was happy with the software, this wouldn’t be a problem. My work is 99.9 percent in sRGB. I want it to be easy and convenient for me. Edit with soft proofing included? With that white border and the warning window from PhotoLab that it’s not a good idea to edit in soft proofing mode? Struggling with the new color point interface? NO!
The bad thing is that I realize that this train has started and will not stop. But what’s going to happen, will happen…
I understand your point. And I respect that. We all have different needs and it is a matter of proper marketing for the manufacturer to offer a tailored product to the widest possible range of consumers. When a manufacturer ignores a group of consumers, it loses them as customers. However, when we enter a shoe store, we are primarily interested in whether the shoe is comfortable for us, not how the seller advertises his product.

with best wishes,
Коко

2 Likes

From FP6 to FP7…€ 59,-

That’s it, I upgraded from PL5 to PL7…

1 Like

The discussion on upgrade prices makes me feel all the data should be displayed globally, instead than only on the individual “purchase screens” that depend on everyone’s situation. I think everybody would benefit from that: customers would know exactly what to expect both in their current situation (e.g., if they have never purchased VP or FP so far) and later (e.g., when they decide whether to upgrade next year), but DxO too as many people appreciate transparency. Of course, policy may change so that information will only be indicative, but still very useful.
Just like the chart posted by @wolfgang in message 16 or so: I searched for that in the past and never found any link to such a table on the product pages. Not sure how it is normally reached, but still would be useful to have it easily accessible.

… and I simply clicked on the advertisment / marketing banner at the very top of this thread.

I meant the compatibility chart. It is not visible from the top link.
And I also meant that knowing what are upgrade prices even when you will be a first time purchaser (to have an idea what upgrade might be next year) would be useful too. And that too, is not visible there.

1 Like

The upgrade pricing policy is exactly my issue. An upgrade should be an upgrade, not prorated based on from release to release. This policy is intended to push users into upgrading annually, which effectively is no better than a subscription based product.

Upgrade pricing in my opinion should be enticing and intended to keep a user base loyal and growing. DxO is doing just the opposite and giving every reason to ‘Try’ other software as you rightly pointed to.

Some will disagree with me on this and they are the deeply loyal DxO followers. I don’t blame them and I understand that mentality as I have been a loyal user myself from v1. Everyone has their limits and mine has been reached.

Like the OP, I will be standing pat with present PL and addon versions. I will be watching for another product option for my future needs.

1 Like