2.2 out and a let down again

That post is not accessible to the public.

1 Like

OK. But it was clearly not for us, correct? Perhaps it was intended for Beta testers?

Mark

@m-photo,
good post brings things in perspective.
i didnā€™t know and i donā€™t have to know, @CaptainPO personal live is for me a private thing for him and family and friends.

Please donā€™t feel uncomfortable, Forum postā€™s especially emotion filled oneā€™s are often 33% overboosted.( maybe more.) ok much more :grinning:
I am pretty sure most of the posts are more frustration out of involvement and the wish to get DXO PL the best out there then anger about the present functionallity of V2.xā€¦

i second M-photoā€™s post.
everything alright?

Right. Just sending good vibes :pray:t2::tulip::sun_with_face:

2 Likes

The problem with DxOā€™s communication policy is that they may think itā€™s better to say nothing than too much. But in reality itā€™s impossible to not communicate (a very well known statement by communication theorist Paul Watzlawick, details can be found on wikipedia). So by releasing an update without announced changes and without an explanation or any other form of information for the users DxO has in fact also communicated something. And the dangerous fact about this ā€œcommunication by not communicatingā€ is that whatā€™s actually communicated is entirely up to the individual personā€™s mind.

Letā€™s assume Iā€™m a user of DxOā€™s Photolab and I eagerly waited for certain changes. Those changes were announced by the company and I expected them to be implemented in a certain update (letā€™s say version 2.2). Now the update in question is released but without the changes I was hoping for. What happens now in my mind? Well here is where it gets completely out of control. If I was a positively thinking person Iā€™d probably think something along the lines of ā€œWell, appartently something went wrong and they had to change their plans. Iā€™m sure they will release the announced changes soonā€. But at the same time I could also think something like: ā€œThey donā€™t care about their users needs, they just want our moneyā€. Or it could lead me to believe that DxO thinks itā€™s customers are so stupid that they donā€™t realize the absence of new features. Orā€¦ the list is endless and solely depended on the individual personā€™s mind and current mood.

So when it comes to communication a company has only got two choices: They either communicate actively and to some extent take control over the interaction between the company and their customers or they choose tho communicate passively by not communicating and leaving everything up to peopleā€™s interpretation and thus speculation. But the option of not communicating is never on the table as itā€™s an impossible thing to do. Thatā€™s basic communication theory and it can be applied to any situation where interaction between people is supposed to happen.

Now what we get is some statement by fdeitos saying that a last minute change made it impossible to release the planned changes with version 2.2. But no further details, no info whether the postponed changes will be released soon, no roadmap, no nothing. Again DxO virtually paves the way for anger, frustration, speculation and misunderstanding by trying to not communicate (and inevitably failing to do so because itā€™s an impossible thing to do).

These are just my thoughts about the current stream of negative feedback filling up this forum (me included). I really hope DxO will sooner or later learn their lesson and start working with the community instead of ignoring them. Iā€™d hate to see people turning their backs on this great piece of software.

13 Likes

Well said! :+1:

2 Likes

indeed John

2 Likes

Thanks for that point of view.

What I see is that we customer need to be a more patient -and write nicely- and eventually propose some help whereas DxO can improve the communication and accept some help from the forum :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Absolutely agree! Good example is here https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t50941-SOON--VE-Pro-7----NOW--Epic-Orchestra-2-0#post280731
Vienna announced VEP7, but with a change on the licensing scheme. The thread and complains really got out of hand. Also caused by the possibility to upgrade but in fact not really knowing what the new version will feature.
For me I did not care about it and upgraded. A good deal for me, because still on VEP5.
So it seems to be a generell problem on how companies offer information and the expectation of the customers.

P.S.
From the last site, post by Paul from the stuff
ā€œOn a personal note:
What worries me most in this thread is that there are so many ā€œin-fightsā€ about who is right on a topic you have little to no information about. That lack of information is our fault, as we want to publish this information only when itā€™s 100% confirmed. Iā€™m just saying that itā€™s not a pleasure to watch and we are sorry about all the anger this has caused.ā€

I would contrast the forum and DXO responses to that on the Affinity forums. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/

I used Serif publisher many years ago and gave up due to Serifā€™s lack of response to problems and how buggy it was. I moved via Corel (into the fire) to MS Publisher, at least not as buggy as the others

Serif has totally changed in there customer dealings to how they were. DXO could learn a lot, BETA versions are openly available with swift responses from Serif on what they are doing and when bugs have been fixed. They, as far as I can see are open and transparent as possible with their customers. This leads to a much better forum and I would think customer integration, the latter feel part of the process not on the outside having to angrily shout at times when feeling totally ignored.

2 Likes

It rather looks as if the_digi_picture_com comment ā€œThe problem with DxOā€™s communication policy is that they may think itā€™s better to say nothing than too much.ā€ Nhas been born out.

He correctly commented that

ā€œNow what we get is some statement by fdeitos saying that a last minute change made it impossible to release the planned changes with version 2.2. But no further details, no info whether the postponed changes will be released soon, no roadmap, no nothing. Again DxO virtually paves the way for anger, frustration, speculation and misunderstanding by trying to not communicate (and inevitably failing to do so because itā€™s an impossible thing to do).ā€

Since last weekā€™s comment on 2.2 we had we had no real update or information as to where PL goes now with the dropped changes. Again its worth asking the questions he asked so reasonably then, again. As had been pointed out since version 1 of PL these updates would have been the only large update/improvement to the program in well over a year. So far no real information, not even that what happens is being looked at and we will let you know when able!

1 Like

Itā€™s strange. Svetlana and co. have developed a ready team of volunteer brand ambassadors here and DxO prefers to play its cards close to the chest. Which ends up disappointing its most loyal customers instead of empowering us to carry out a positive message to the photographic community wherever else we hang out, whether DPReview, Flickr, 500px (not much talk there though), fstoppers, etcā€¦

Thereā€™s really a lost opportunity here.

Iā€™m a bit mystified as to why the most of DxO support team members/leaders here donā€™t use their first and/or full names on their profiles.

ā€œfdeitosā€ for example is really Fabrizio Dei Tos who has a coherent biography up here. Adding a personal touch and openness would really help with DxO outreach. American small business marketing has figured out personality based marketing but for some reason foreign firms want to copy corporate behemoths like Apple, Microsoft or HP.

European entrepreneurs missed that the getting from here (small business) to there (corporate giant) requires engaging deeply with their first passionate customers. The French have a special issue - the biggest marketing space is in fashion ā€“ la mode ā€“ and in fashion for some reason being rude and distant with your target audience improves sales. Think Karl Lagerfeld and John Galliano insulting and dismissing fashionistas in almost every interview. What works in fashion doesnā€™t work nearly as well in technology.

This is gradually going off topic. Iā€™m very happy DxO did dump the RootKit copy protection which killed any desire to use their software three or four years ago when I first considered it. The purchase, install license management experience is pretty good now. This relatively open and honest feedback forum is what persuaded me to buy into the software.

With just a little effort, DxO could lead the way in terms of customer communication. I hope Fabrizio doesnā€™t go back into his shell and that Svetlana continues to watch the forums closely and facilitate communication as assiduously as she does to make sure that important questions get answers and that bugs (as opposed to large feature requests) get escalated quickly.

1 Like

John,

I think you may have been referring to me. As I pointed out earlier, in the 15+ months since PL1 was released the only significant feature updates, if I recall correctly, was to the local adjustment palettes at some point during PL 1ā€™s life, and the update to Clearview Plus and addition of the rudimentary search features in PL2. Other than some additional bug fixes and new camera/lens support thatā€™s about it.

Having said that, Photolab even without new and updated functionality still wipes out some of the competition like ON1 and Affinity in terms of both interface usability and end results, and for me is still far preferable to Lightroom. Itā€™s unfortunate that DXO has been unable to up itā€™s game on a more timely basis. But I do not believe that itā€™s due to lack of trying.

This implementation of updates to only a few features is concerning. I believe they are doing the best they can and are not purposely avoiding providing their user base with updates, and regret disappointing their hardcore supporters. It suggests they are having internal difficulties they canā€™t or donā€™t want to share with us, including their ability to maintain a sufficiently sized and skilled staff to update, test and implement changes to their core application on two platforms.

Whatever the difficulties they are now facing I hope they can successfully get past them. At this point, I believe that beating them up will not speed up the process, but made deter new people from buying into their software which is necessary for them to stay in business. As a result, even though I have made my frustrations clear over time, I plan to back off from my earlier criticisms and wait and see what develops. I also own ON1, which at itā€™s best, does not give me the same speedy quality results I can get in Photolab, but itā€™s there as a backup, just in case the worst happens.

Mark

In many ways I agree, but if there have been changes to PL that had to be withheld that information could have been given after what had been said before. Rather than apologies for that we who protested at it we were criticized. Given the changes are said to have been made we could be told if/what progress there is in getting it out. After all we are paying for the program.

I certainly agree that communication has been wanting. But at this point Iā€™m less concerned about that and more concerned that Photolab might fall by the wayside. Since there has been no indication when the enhancements planned for 2.2 will actually be implemented, my overriding concern right now is whether they will ever be implemented. Iā€™ve also noticed that in the last week or two generally there seems to be a decline in feedback from DXO staff, most notably from Svetlana.

Looking at the current situation from the point of view of a retired software designer I regret that I canā€™t be more hopeful. For all we know they may currently be looking for an entity to buy their software products. Clearly something is going on and it doesnā€™t look good. I sincerely hope I am wrong. I can only wish them the best and keep my fingers crossed.

Mark

Speaking just for myself, Iā€™m delighted that the recent update added support for the Nikon Z6. This has made a significant difference in my photographic workflow. As for other improvements in future versions, Iā€™m content to wait until theyā€™re ā€˜ripeā€™.

1 Like

PS: I am okay to close that topic so everybody can concentrate on his/her photography. Seriously.
DxO has all the necessary inputs they need from us.

4 Likes

I agree. Continuing to vent and beat them up serves no useful purpose. Iā€™m just trying to enjoy using PhotoLab and the other DXO software, and hope some useful updates will be available in the near future.

Mark

4 Likes

Good morning,

Well, it only happened because I was on a sick leave :frowning: . But Iā€™m back and reply every post which needs my attention.

As for implementing the fixes we promised you to deliver, as Fabrizio has already said they are ready but only were postponed.

P.S. Actually guys, Iā€™m not a robot and I can be sick or have a vacation. If I do not reply for some days it doesnā€™t mean I want to ignore you but either Iā€™m on vacation or a sick leave. Nothing else can prevent me from replying :wink:

Regards,
Svetlana G.

9 Likes

Hello Svetlana,

welcome back and I am glad that you feel well again.

Sigi