2.2 out and a let down again

On my 2017 27" 5K iMac, this latest version was slow. However, when I changed app setting to open in low resolution mode, the app was back up to speed!

However, using the software in this mode was not reason I bought a 5K iMac. So I hope a future version will run faster in 5K mode.

1 Like

how did you do this? can you add a screenshot or two?

All you need to do is:

1. Open the Application Folder by Command-Option-A in the Finder (or from the Go Menu in Finder and select Applications)
  2. Find the DXO PhotoLab 2 App, and select it
  3. Either right click (or Control Click) on the icon and select Get Info. Keyboard shortcut Command-I
  4. Tick the box Open in Low Resolution.

Thatā€™s it.

1 Like

How can we help DxO right now ? :roll_eyes:

One day someone told me: Whatever you do, you will realize that it is always easier to make critics than to do the actual work.

Is it possible to create a category ā€œComplainsā€ on the forum so the rest of the forum can be more readable ? The place seems flooded by negativity, I do not think it will help. :neutral_face:

6 Likes

i find critics a kind of double standard.
There are two kinds of critic.
The ā€œyou did it wrongā€ kind which only can be answered by : do show your words in action.
And the mildly would it be nice to see if this and that can be done. Those are just suggestions to open up field of view.

Pointers to whatā€™s broken and need to be fixed is not critic. as in i have a bug. But complains in i donā€™t get this or that is less building on the feature and yes itā€™s difficult to keep away from critics of things which isnā€™t delivered as hoped for. But reminding is a different approach then pointing to failoreā€¦

As for me i am in hopefull thinking in the v3.0 this fall. a nice set of improvements in local adjustment and some other things.

1 Like

I think it valid to raise criticisms when promised things do not happen. When payment is asked for future results that do not happen when promised (I will not include the black Friday offer insult to those of us who paid before). Its only in computer program provision is this seen as acceptable by the sellers and many think should be acceptable to the buyers as well.

In the UK a provider of a service making regularly making unfulfilled promises of what would be provided would usually expect an interest, at a minimum of Trading Standardā€™s. With programs we are expected to accept this as a norm and to have no protection. In this I am not just aiming at DxO but more program sellers, but at present DxO is the firm I have invested much money, time and hope and though am pleased with the results I am frustrated by the way I and customers in general have been treated in the last few years.

I agree, that was in marketing point of view a ā€œshot in there own feet.ā€ Not very clever.
As i stated earlier a upgrade price devided in 12 month, , bought 3 months ago you get 3/12 of the price, bought 8 months ago, you get 8/12 of the price and after a year you pay normal upgrade price. fair and open.

for the other written text i agree as a customer, but in overview must say there are more poles in the fundation to keep the house upright.
So i am tent to give DxO some slack this year to get there ducks in a row because of the financial touch and go they had this yearā€¦

(i didnā€™t upgrade because of i just bought v1.2 and mostly i upgrade every 2 years.)

So i am less frustrated in seeing no new productā€¦
Some communication about the future new features would help , i agree on that.

My wife has given an example; we replaced some doors and windows. We were promised they had certain features and it was they were to meet a grade of glazing standards to complying with the building standards. When fitted those doing so were expected to install them to comply with what was promised and meet the building regulations. Any problems, and there were, the firm sent new people back to make good the issues. The result was what we had been promised was actually supplied. There was no ā€œwe will come back next year to refit the opening fittings so the windows will open as promised as we havenā€™t actually worked out how to do it yetā€.
Her point was she was an employed consumer adviser many years ago when such installers had no regulations to work to and self-regulation was a total failure leading to government regulations being imposed on an industry unable/willing to police itself.

Is there any experience with Windows7 regarding performance and stability? Any new issues maybe? I do not see relevant fixed issues for me in 2.1 and Iā€™d just skip 2.2 Thanks in advance

any information as to why the omissions yet?

@OXiDant , @John7
I understand your point of view and I totally agree.

Usually you pay a software for what it is and not what it will be.
With this version 2 it seems to be the contrary and I accepted it, although there is barely no communication and roadmap. (But look Apple and others, they have much more customers and do the same if not worst).
My only point is why making complains and pressure at each new (small) update ?

I guess DxO got the message, so letā€™s be patient.
In the end the customer is king, stays, or leave. Letā€™s be kind customers, but strict the day you have to decide to go on or not.

I have decided to give a chance to DxO because I wanted a simple but powerful RAW software.
If it do not meet my expectation I will give a try to the growing Darktable community.
In the meantime, I try to do my things and try to be patient.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to apologize for the late response.

As Svetlana told you, unfortunately, the official release of the 2.2 was planned at the same moment I was unavailable for personal reasons. That happens, and shouldnā€™t be considered as me ignoring your feedback, nore think it was ā€œorganizedā€ on purpose in such a way.

So, regarding the release of this version, without things that were previsouly announced, do believe that I sincerely understand your disapointment and how raging and misunderstanding this situation is.

What I can say to you, simply, is that all the features that were announced to be part of this 2.2 release were indeed ready, even some additional ones.

Thing is, sometimes, last minutes drawbacks can happen.

So it wasnā€™t with a light heart that we had to postpone most of what was originally planned to be released, and served a 2.2 with minor bugs fix and, at least, the support of the latest iconic mirrorless on the market.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, since Iā€™m personnally involved and asked to give explanations, I can assure you that I did my job.
But unfortunately, these last minutes turns were not expected at all, and we couldnā€™t avoid that. Really.

We deeply regret it went that way, as weā€™re not accustomed to promise things weā€™re not able to provide.
And thatā€™s how I am too, as a person.
We really want to make this software the best possible, listening and discussing with all of you, testing and keeping on improving.

But please, be kind and wise just a moment and donā€™t focus your anger and flaming on a single person: Iā€™m product owner for DxO PhotoLab. Corporate decisions are taken at a company level. As PO, Iā€™m part of the process but not accountable for the whole result.

I donā€™t want to stop discussing with you, but this episode leaves me a bit uncomfortable, as it has spread beyond the workā€™s field and seems to become very personal.
Iā€™ll take this for lesson, and weā€™ll probably modify the way we communicate in the future to avoid ending in such situations.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Best regards,
Fabrizio

13 Likes

Please understand that you are the press secretary for DXO and with that you can expect both positive and negative feedback. That position is not for the soft at heart!! What happens with that feedback is what counts. DXO has not been good in the communication department and that is alot of your customer base problem (IMHO). Share info!!!

Any news as to the release of the full update?
Mike

1 Like

Indeed to add to what Mike has said the main problem has been the total lack of communication. A simple statement indicating what the problem was as the reason why the promised changes/improvements had had to be put on hold would have been a major improvement over nothing. Most of us would understand its better to put something on hold if its got problems but as Mike says ā€œShare info!!!ā€

2 Likes

I have been a long time user of DxO products and have always been extremely with the solid performance of the products and the quality of the work I can get from them. I continue to be pleased with DxO PhotoLab. Based on years of using your products I have absolute confidence that the decisions made when to release are based on good judgements and concern for the end user and the reputation of the product. I have a respect for DxO products and am looking forward to years of using DxO Products. Thanks.

3 Likes

@CaptainPO Thank you for your post.
I do hope everything in your personal life is allright.

I suppose that some people in the OpticsPro EA member group also knew about the last minute problems you encountered.
Do you think it is possible that next time someone can calm down the not so patient persons ?
Or maybe add a note in the release notes of the update to say a word.

Well, just trying to help.
Happy weekend everybody :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Fabrizio

Thank you for the info update. We are looking forward to the next interesting release.

1 Like

I am a retired software developer/project manager myself and I fully understand the development process and the type of issues that can arise. Unfortunately many responses in this forum from DXO staff had set expectations about what was planned for the most recent release. Many end users, like myself, who were disappointed by the initial upgrade to Version 2, and the lack of anything significant in version 2.1, were once again very disappointed by the lack of new updates in version 2.2.

The frustration, and even anger, expressed here by a number of people could have been almost completely avoided if on the day of the release of 2.2 someone at DXO had created a new thread here indicating the status of that release and the need to hold back the expected enhancements. That didnā€™t happen, and until Svetlanaā€™s post and yourā€™s today it seemed like we were being ignored.

DXO created this forum and has requested feedback and suggestions from us regarding the feature set. We are not only paying customers and fans of your products, but to a degree we are also an unpaid focus group willing to share our experience, opinions and suggestions for the betterment of your products. I think that deserves better communication going forward.

Mark

6 Likes

ā€¦there was some communication: https://forum.dxo.com/t/photolab-2-2-0-23644-official-release-will-be-different-dont-be-surprised/6963

Where was that thread? I donā€™t have access to it when I click on your link. I get a message saying, ā€œSorry, you donā€™t have access to that topic!ā€

Mark.

1 Like