Work crew, end of day, 2008 Thailand (Patong Beach)

I spend most of my time photographing “things”, “scenery”, and so on, but not people. I do take candid photos every so often, but rarely does a photo-op present itself.

Again, back in Thailand, in 2008, for reasons I can’t remember, I found myself walking around with my huge Nikon D2x, fitted with a zoom lens. I was watching people at a construction site, just as the work day came to an end, and the workers started getting Into these large trucks to take them back to their living quarters. They were looking at me, so I raised my camera, and took few photos. I hope the “hand signals” were a positive, not a “you jerk!” kind of thing. Everything fitted the composition I wanted, so I took this photo and pretty much forgot about it for sixteen years or so, when I was reviewing my old photos that had been stored on my Windows computer. I thought it turned out well. I get photos similar to this in India all the time, but lost track of my Thailand photos. (I had my favorite camera printing shop nearby, so they printed many of my images, and in a day or so, brought them back to the people and gave them away, but not so for this photo.)

To be honest, I am MUCH more comfortable taking photos of “things” than of “people”. The only people-photos I enjoy taking, are people at work, doing whatever it is they do, and ignoring me. This is especially true when I don’t speak the native language, although English seems to work quite well in India.

Anyway, comments are welcome, good or bad. If I messed up, please do tell me.

To Mark, I wanted to fill the frame with people - that was the goal. They seemed happy, and I was happy, but the photos of them at work turned out very boring.

1 Like