Why as closing/using local adjustments have been made more complex in 7?

Why as closing/using local adjustments have been made more complex in 7? This new behaviour was bothering me as well, but I found that clicking ESC or escape button on the keyboard would get me back to normal workspace and out of local adjustments. Leaves that Local Adjustment applied, but leaves the interface.

Yes that works, you get plenty of practice using the mouse and keyboard with 7
Im keeping 6 to for large scale local editing.

Agreed, I would like to see people create mockups of how the HSL tool and other tools like the Curves tool would be implemented in the Equaliser?

Although you don’t have to follow industry standard UI there is a reason they have become industry standards.

1 Like

I think you missed my point. If you expect every piece of software to be intuitive from day one, and abandon those that aren’t, then the software ecosystem will crumble, because only those that managed to “magic up” intuitiveness on their first delivery will survive and then they, resting on their laurels, will also fail on some release and they, too, will disappear.

Software is HARD and takes time. I’m just saying give it time, at least for new features.

Now for my own part, it’s time to unfollow this thread as it isn’t constructive.

2 Likes

I can’t leave this post uncommented, even though the author has unfortunately already left the thread and unfortunately has not written why he thinks this discussion is not constructive.

I have the rather the impression that my point of view was misunderstood.
I have by no means the expectation that a software is completely intuitive from the beginning, that is not possible at all with the complexity of PL. I didn’t write that either, did I?
But the flatter the learning curve the higher is acceptance of a software, at least in my experience with UX design in software projects.
Or to put it another way: shouldn’t the goal of software development be to make the learning curve as flat as possible?
And if so, then the requirement of “intuitive operation” is at the top of the list. In my opinion - and I know I’m not alone in this - the user should be spared the effort of learning how to use a software or even reading a manual as much as possible. As already written: this is certainly not 100% possible - if only because of the diversity of prerequisites among the users.

But if the goal of intuitive use is pursued, then spontaneous feedback remains extremely important. Of course, also the feedback that is only expressed after familiarization with the new functions.

And since we are in the B2C environment here, the market is certainly not easy, the competition does not sleep, and a flat learning curve is certainly already an important criterion for buyers, especially in the price segment in which PL moves.
Of course, PL will not immediately disappear from the ecosystem just because it is poorly usable in some areas, especially the existing unique selling points prevent that. But if other software manufacturers follow suit, for example in noise reduction, usability could become an important criterion.
And what is the point here in the forum: we all want to contribute to making the software better. So EVERY feedback is constructive, it is important to listen to the users and take their experiences seriously. With the reference to “software is hard” and you should take your time, shifts the responsibility to the user.

In my experience, the willingness to spend more time with software has also decreased, the TikTok generation needs a quick sense of achievement (please don’t shout now, I realize that we are talking about different target groups here).

1 Like

Indeed. Anyway Photolab is not what could be really called a complex software (from a user standpoint).
With filmpack installed, cutomize part only have 35 functions (tabs) with very few settings for most of them (v6.xx).
But as for every software, users need to understand the basis of the domain for which it is created. Intuitvity can’t replace that.
But yes, ergonomy have lot of room to be improved (if this is what you meant).

The fastest and with as litlle as possible learning curve to get raw images converted to bitmap is to shoot JPG or tiff, not RAW.
Other way you have to understand (and so learn) how it works and how to do it.

Where “intuivness” have disappear compare to what existed before ?
Is this about small changes on things you used to use ?
Or do you think a new user would find less intuitive to learn photolab now ?

Intuitivity comes from habits.
Some users are new, some use to use other softwares.

Their intuitivity feeling differs.

But indeed there are some industry standards which are part of everyone intuitivity feeling that photolab ignore.