Which color space is passed on to the printer

According to my findings, this is a controversial topic for Windows. Windows has an integrated color management system that should go beyond ICC color management. This requires WCS profiles instead of ICC profiles. This has failed - try to find a WCS profile.

The consequence is that ICC profiles are not even processed by Windows, but are passed on to the application programs and device drivers for processing. If these programs do not process ICC profiles either, these profiles are useless. Under certain circumstances, this could also mean that your print results are not always reproducible.

With Windows 11, a new approach has been taken, which in some cases means that processing chains that are reliably based on ICC profiles no longer work correctly. We will have to see how the system develops.

Simply drop the idea to leave color management to the printer driver.

Otherwise you have to figure out the right settings as already explained.

2 Likes

I don’t have win11 os but am about to.
What is this color management problem with win11 ?
Does it alter professional color managed softwares and pipelines ?

WOW !
what I read from a message posted 10 mn ago in a reddit discussion :

"The biggest difference you’ll see is that, if you have a wide gamut display, in SDR everything on the desktop that were not color managed before are now clamped to sRGB. So no oversaturated UI, wallpapers, icons, etc. But any previously properly color managing apps like Photoshop, Lightroom, etc, are broken. In MS documents they clearly stated ".

Have to dig into it to know the truth and real consequences !!!

The sky is not falling. Win 11 color management is much improved over Win 10, moving from an sRGB-centric orientation to better encompass wider gamut and hdr environments. Apple people please be kind. DxO PL plays nicely with Windows 11 and there are no real color management issues as far as I am aware. That includes the printing module when DxO PL manages colors. Set up your display properly with current drivers (then leave it alone!) and embed actual ICC profiles in image files whenever possible. A bonus for Win 11 users is that the Microsoft Photos app is now fully color managed and useful for photographers. My understanding is that multiple display management is better too, but I have no recent experience with this.

There were some early problems as app developers made the necessary changes to adapt to the new Win 11 color management system. Those issues have been mostly resolved as far as I can tell. The reddit post is mostly old news. There is an active ongoing discussion among gamers on how best to use advanced color management features in Win 11 to add some extra hot sauce to their displays. Not at issue here.

1 Like