When to use ClearView Plus vs Fine Contrast and its sub-settings

In my version of PhotoLab 6, I have tools for:

• DxO Clear View Plus
  • Contrast
  • Microcontrast
  • Fine contrast (which includes highlights, midtones, and shadows)

Since DxO has included them, someone must have considered each of them to be potentially useful.

However, when I use either Clear-View or Micro-Contrast, I am usually told there are better ways to achieve what I want.

So, is there really a purpose for all of those?
What are the best ways to use them, and WHY, and since there are choices, which are likely to be the better choices.

I’m posting this now mostly because of discussions with @Joanna, who thinks I should avoid ClearView like the plague, and be very careful with Micro contrast. I used to over-use ClearView, but have learned to minimize that.

Never mind what I use, or don’t use, or why, can someone here suggest the better ways of dealing with this, and why?

(There are five topics about this already, but nothing about why to use certain ones, or to avoid certain ones.)

Hmm, this reads like yet another, “Mike is looking for a protocol to follow to ensure he produces a good image” question.

To which my response is, there is no such set or rules / protocol and thus, yes, there is a purpose for all of these tools. Every image will have it’s own requirements, and sometimes that means even the dreaded ClearView Plus will have a use.

Have you not read enough posts by the wide variety of PL users in this community to know this by now??

1 Like

Absolutely! There is no rule book. Through experience and experimentation we learn when to use the right tool for the right situation. Every tool in PhotoLab has its uses. The key is knowing when and how to use them appropriately, and with moderation.

Mark

They do different things and not all are present under all conditions.

• Micro Contrast is an almost historical tool that makes images look crisper
  • ClearView was made to remove haze, but its implementation is a bit too rough imo
  • Fine Contrast sliders need a FilmPack license and are the most subtle tools in the group

All of the tools can be used, and as often, the dose makes the poison.

I’ll bite …
Almost every frame I shoot gets one or more of the following steps:

• White Balance - the reason I shoot in RAW because I always forgot to change it when I was in JPG
  • ClearView plus (though I normally only use it at about 35%)
  • Microcontrast (here I trust the wand)
  • Denoise
  • Sharpen in Topaz Photo AI
    A modest example:

This is SOOC except that I cropped the frame to get the bird’s eye in the correct thirds intersection,

Here I have darkened the bird with CV+ a little (32), and added the microcontrast (11).
    Final version after XD and some sharpening in Topaz

Topaz seems to have darkened the sky, unasked (well, I did use autopilot, but it didn’t own up to having changed the lighting).
    C&C welcome.

(I’m not going to be posting replies, maybe questions, but I mostly want to read.)