Waveform (and vectorscope) as an alternative to Histogram

Wow! I’ve been teaching PL for a couple of years as well as using it on my own work since PL1.

I knew most of this video but I still found a few really interesting uses for both the Tone Curve and the Colour Wheel.

Thank you for pointing it out.

His use of the vector certainly made clear the difference between Saturation and Vibrance in PL, but apart from that, I still can’t see the advantage of the waveform over the image, which is all Photo Joseph seems to need as well.

If there ever will be one, I’ll happily pay for it. So far they upgraded and increased functionality in 10 versions without extra costs and with much lower costs in total than DxO is asking each major update for some minor improvements. They (Affinity) have excellent tutorial books, they have an easy to understand Vimeo channel to explain single functions in short clips much better than the messy, inaccurate and overcrowded manual of DxO ever can.

And thanks to this thread and yours, @gdu90 and @MikeR explanation I can now understand and use the principle of waveform / vectorscope displaying of tone scales better. I voted for the feature, but even if DxO would deliver one, I have a hard time to imagine it could be of practical use - see lousy DAM, deleted IPTC entries and other long term feature requests. It’s for sure easier to keep the

crowd happy and confirm their “what has been the right way to do 50 years ago will never change, no matter how photographical equipment, workflows and techniques evolved ever since”. :laughing: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I use PL & Affinity

If you accept the principle of changing your way of influencing the development of your image, these are precision tools from the video.

The histogram is linear and refers to a fictitif jpg by definition, degraded + or - by compression, not for a 16 bit process , I am wary of the histogram, which I use, I explore the right part .
By trial and error I know how far I can go before falling into the absolute loss of the nothingness of white, pure in doing so
These tools very useful for objectifying and correcting a color locally or globally by example …

2 tutorials from the Da Vinci video

Vectorscope // DaVinci Resolve scopes (for Beginners) - YouTube
How to use resolve SCOPES - In-depth with a Pro Colourist - YouTube

and this one, showing some practical use cases
What BEGINNERS Get WRONG About Scopes [DaVinci Resolve 17] - YouTube