Water Fountains

3 images taken in Auxerre in 2016. As always, feedback is very welcome.

2016_09_13-Auxerre_2039.ARW (23,7 MB)
2016_09_13-Auxerre_2039.ARW.dop (11,1 KB)

2016_09_13-Auxerre_2041.ARW (23,6 MB)
2016_09_13-Auxerre_2041.ARW.dop (10,7 KB)

2016_09_13-Auxerre_2094.ARW (23,7 MB)
2016_09_13-Auxerre_2094.ARW.dop (10,6 KB)

Here’s something similar. I took it in 2012 and reprocessed it a few mins ago using PL7:

I know the framing is poor.

My attempt a week ago:

No composition, I gave up on it.

Never give up, try holding your camera lower. So get down on your knees and don’t shoot from top to bottom but horizontally. And with water you should experiment with the shutter speed.

Definitely!

Some of those things I can accept, but if I get down on my hands and knees, I’m going to have trouble standing up again. I can try to find a way to do so, but then you’re all going to see this miserable background, Lincoln Road, which will ruin the photo beyond hope.

This is without cropping and under-exposing. I can try to use Live View, using my fold out viewing screen, and maybe shoot at f/0.95 (if I had one of those lenses) to blur the background, but the real answer is for me to find a more suitable fountain.

I took two photos, decided it was beyond my ability, and gave up. One of the first questions to consider before pressing the shutter release, is if it is worth doing. I usually take the photo anyway, but rarely find a way to get something from it.

Not even the “Engrave” Preset can salvage it:

How can natural movement arise in the viewer’s mind with a still image - that is true art.

You need to play with shutter speed to see what suits the subject best. There is no one correct speed.

1/2500sec…

1/125sec…

1/15sec (complete with handheld camera shake)

This fountain froze completely at 1/400 sec…

Fuunneee :wink:

I tried, but the edited image did not appear very convincing:

Thanks to these discussions, I find myself attempting to take a photo of things I would have ignored in the past, just “challenging myself to see if I could do it”.

The top of this image looks plausible, but moving down, it just doesn’t look “real”. So, I cropped out the lower part of the image, but the above few examples got me interested in this image - from 10 days ago.

I wasn’t satisfied, not quite frustrated, but nothing was working. Then I tried a different viewpoint:

Or, simply by changing my Color Rendering to a different film, Adox Silverman 21, I get a better end result, with the kid not grabbing attention quite so much: