Using Photolab 7 with Filmpack 7

I’m currently trialling Photolab 7 (currently have Photolab 6) and will probably buy the upgrade with the Black Friday deal.

I’ve never used Filmpack before but deciding whether I buy it.

I currently use Photolab with Affinity Photo.

A couple of questions for experienced users of Filmpack with Photolab.

Do you use Filmpack within Photolab or do you use it standalone?

From my trial so far it seems that the interface using standalone Filmpack is cleaner but then I would lose the benefit of processing in Photolab and would not be working with a RAW file. So I assume it is better to use Filmpack within Photolab.

Also under local adjustments I’m finding that clicking plus sign does not create a second luminosity mask, I have to duplicate the luminosity first mask. Is this a bug or by design?

use it with PL, it unlocked many options that without FP you don’t have access to.

2 Likes

PL7 with embedded / activated FP7
grafik

FP7 standalone
grafik

From my trial so far it seems that the interface using standalone Filmpack is cleaner but then I would lose the benefit of processing in Photolab and would not be working with a RAW file. So I assume it is better to use Filmpack within Photolab.

Within PL7 you can keep working with a raw-file as long you don’t export to tif or jpg,
while FP7 standalone

• converts your (recognized) raw-file and saves the output as tif or jpg
  • works with tif and jpg

note – the very same license/key allows you

• to activate the embedded version
  • to install the standalone version

I have been using the latest version of FilmPack from within PhotoLab since PhotoLab 1 was introduced in 2017.

I do install the standalone version of FilmPack when new versions are released just so I become familiar with the functionality of that version. I then uninstall it because I don’t need the standalone version for my day-to-day processing. The standalone version is probably most appropriate when using a raw developer or post processing program other than PhotoLab.

Mark

I use stand alone FP7 either from Capture One or Affinity Photo. Mainly for street photography with vintage lenses trying to recapture a 1970’s look, which it does well. Kodachrome 64, Fujifilm Velvia or Kodak T-Max. For straight photography I trust my colour grading skills and rarely use it.

The price for PL7 + FP7 is now more with bf deals higher than before :(. So I’m not sure either if it worth buying both programs or just go with PL7 standalone.
Maybe you can go with the LUTs instead of the FP?

they are cheaper if you buy separately than as a package, someone else also said that before.

there is no more package so you buy them separately and pay 169€ + 89€
two days ago without bf deals it was 229€ both :frowning:

they saying up to 50% off.
i thought when i looked at yesterday there was some package deal, but not today.