Using PhotoLab 4 to process sunset photos

You are right.

Exactly.
This is what I meant with “possibilities versus price does not match for me”. For my use the more versatile and financially accessible Nikons is better than the Leica M in the end and I prefer to concentrate on one device only.

I (grudgingly) have to agree with you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahm… yes, and here is a distressed D810 photographer who is ashamed to walk around with completely outdated technology and just 5 prime lenses. It is to despair. Urgent help please.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. Your D810 may be “old”, but my D750 comes from when the D800 was available, so your version is newer. I also think that your five prime lenses are most likely higher quality than the zoom lenses I used to like so much - and the primes are smaller, and lighter, especially if they are older.

My Leica M3 is from 1954, and my Leica lenses are mostly from the 1960’s. That you do well is due to YOU, not to the equipment, and I suspect I would be just as happy using your newer outdated technology than my older outdated technology.

The reason I don’t have a D800 series camera is simple - size and weight.

The more you post in this forum, and the more feedback you get, the better you will feel about everything, just as has happened to/for me. If you go back two years and view the photos I was posting, they were awful. I didn’t have a clue how to make them better, but little by little the feedback in this forum grew inside me.

How about you post a recent photo - just select one at random, don’t search for the absolute best, just select something “typical” of your photography, but if possible, edit it in PL5, even if it’s a trial version - that way you’ll be up to date with the very latest tools, and you can be just as confused as I am. :slight_smile:

Well, the D810 is actually from June 2014, your D750 from Sept. 2014.
But I’m just joking. :wink:
I bought my D810 used to complement my D7200 and am very happy with what I have and I’d say perfectly know how to handle so that it delivers what I want to have. DXO helps to circumnavigate some problems or weaknesses and improves here or there easily but I would not say that tools are in the center of my interest in photography. And a bad composition remains a bad composition with any tool in the world.

(I’m from a time in which a slide film cost 15-20 DM (Deutsche Mark) and I got 4 DM pocket money a week. So, first of all, I learned how to do it right the first time. With an entirely manual SLR camera (Praktika) even without an exposure meter.)

Mike, maybe you contribute something to yourself – ah well, you are getting a new tripod. :slight_smile:

Wonderfull. The one I started with.

George

1 Like

I wanted a Zeiss Ikon Icarex 35, but couldn’t afford (no pocket money).
– A couple of years later it all started with Minolta SR-T 101 and their 3,5/50mm Macro – good lens.

1 Like

I guess so; besides the tripod there was the 50mm Voigtlander lens, a Wolf gourmet oven, some new Bluetooth tools for my D750, two camera books, and several new accessories for a somewhat broken Apple iPad I was given. Lots of “stuff” over the past month or so. Would be nice if the iPad ran PL5, but that ain’t gonna happen - and apparently I can’t even download the images on my memory card to review them.

The oven gets top billing - while I can only look at my photos, I can eat my food!

Also, someone gave me a D750 body that was on a tripod with a 400mm lens when it blew over, yanking the lens and lens mount off the camera body. A nearby shop told me it’s fixable, and not nearly as expensive as what I expected. It might make for a good camera to carry all over India, regardless of how dirty or dusty it gets. Oh, and I also called the fellow who is doing the C&L on my old Leica M3 - he tells me I should get it back in the next few weeks. Also, to avoid confusion, I’m avoiding using my Fuji X100f, but I really out to they the PL5 software for it, and see how things work.

One thing at a time. For tonight, it’s “highlight weighted metering”.

I remember those days - I sort of solved that problem by buying a 100 foot roll of Plus-X film, a changing bag, and some Contax and later Nikon cassettes. With 100 feet in the bank, I stopped worrying about buying more film. Oh, and I remember the Practice - never saw one in person, but they were the issues of Modern Photography and Popular Photography, and I dreamed about them. Then there was the Alpa, which I also dreamed over, but never got to see a live one. Until the Nikon F came out, it was mostly rangefinder for me, with a 4x5 Graflex I wish I had kept. What a monster!!

Do you have a photo you can upload here, so I’m not all by myself in uploading?

I had a Zeiss Icarex with 3 lenses (I believe there were no others). I sold the equipment to buy a Pentax SP (around 1970).

Okay Mike, here is my contribution to the “DXO-should-make-stitching-possible”-debate (answer is no, do not waste developer-capacity, there are fantastic solutions already available!):

Picture is taken in the beautiful city of Ronda in Andalusia/Spain.
It is a stich made with Microsoft ICE and consists of 5 or 6 portrait oriented shots with my D7200 and 16-85 at f5.6, set to manual and without a tripod. I described my detailed workflow anywhere here in the forum. Panorama Stitching - #14 by Fotoguido

It was meant to be printed 2m wide or so but my wife said there is a wall missing :wink:

It is 60MB, lets see what any compression may do here at DXO.

2 Likes

One word - superb!

1 Like

Thanks Joannna, this coming from you means a lot to me.

Attached an extract to show the resolution. DXO of course needed to compress my file

Fotoguido - awesome image! You need to discuss the issue of adding the additional wall with your wife. It doesn’t “look” stretched, it looks like it was a taken as a single image, so your stitching skills are superb! I flat out love the view! In my words, you “did good!!”.

I vaguely remember something about Microsoft ICE - need to look it up again. That you did this without a tripod is even more amazing. As Joanna said, SUPERB!!

1 Like

Small addendum for all of you who were so helpful in suggesting a better tripod - my Manfrotto 290 xtra Carbon finally arrived.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JS8KVA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 14.21.20

It is unbelievably light, rock solid, and the only bad thing about it is that I should have bought it many years earlier. Thanks to all of you for the guidance.

1 Like

Congratulation! Just remember not to raise the center column (at least not by a lot).

Yep, no desire for monopod emulation mode! :slight_smile:

Well done on the tripod. Now you’ve lost another excuse for poor images :rofl:

Gosh, I’m gradually losing all my excuses.
What’s left is going to be “I screwed up… Oops.”

1 Like