Ultimate guide to sharpning with Dxo

Chris who posts on here a little has put together another useful video.
About sharpening on PR PL and Nik
I liked it anyway as a learner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ldn-9UHbU&t=1155s

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the link – I’ll look into it more.

Some years ago, when I was running a local photoclub’s homepage
and got all sorts of pics to publish, I resized the pics to the exact output size
and then used

OutputSharpener → Display → Adaptive Sharpening → …

• That way one one can see (at 100%) how much sharpening is appropriate.

For my printing I export my pics exactly to their final size and use

OutputSharpener → Inkjet → …

• Viewing distance set to Auto provides proper sharpening to counteract the spread of these tiny ink droplets.
  • “Glossy” paper type usually provides the best/finest result
    ( e.g. Matte paper requires a coarser/heavier application ).
  • The printer resolution corresponds to my printer setting.

I’ve never used Nik’s PreSharpener. – When you process your files in PhotoLab and can apply the appropriate camera-lens profile, there should be no need to use the PreSharpener modul.

greetings, Wolfgang

Currently I am reprocessing a series of portraits taken with the Nikon D5000/35f1.8. It’s truly amazing how much more Dxo can make of it, but at the same time it’s also a challenge to achieve the same ambience Nikon puts in it, only better.

I find it hard to find the balance in sharpness, I want details like hair, jewellery and textile sharp, but the skin to be nice and smooth.

PL7.6 on W10, no Nik

The best result I find come with the four Fine Contrast (global, highlights, mid-tones and shadows) sliders that come with FilmPack. For skin, you can apply a negative amount to the highlight and/or mid-tone sliders to soften things, whilst using shadow to boost detail in hair, etc.

2 Likes