Typical Cambodian boat for use as a water taxi, or truck, or whatever

When I visited Thailand in 2008, I decided I wanted to stay on for an extra week, but according to my Thai visa, the only way to do that was to leave Thailand, take a short boat trip to Cambodia, get my passport stamped, and later the same day take a boat back to Thailand, and get my passport stamped with a new entry date. I wanted to stay for another week or so, but was also anxious to get home. I brought my small portable camera with me, and also my Nikon D2x. The Nikon images, despite the tiny megapixel count, were far better than my other cameras - it was a small-sensor camera, but in every way it was a full, professional camera, rugged, reasonably weatherproof, and excellent internals.

Anyway, during the boat trips each way, I was constantly taking photos. Some were exciting, some were boring, but I only got ten or twelve photos that worked as well as I hoped.

It’s a very strange boat - the engine has the propeller shaft pointing to the rear in this photo - to steer the boat, just pivot the engine on its mount so the propeller goes to the correct side. For storage, the prop shaft turns 180 degrees, so it’s pointing to the front. I thought these boats were rather strange, but that’s very common in Asia.

I like the boat, I love the reflection, and the background to me is just fine. I did boost the saturation, but not as much as I usually want to do. Not sure if anyone else will like it or tell me what I did wrong, but this is one of the few photos I captured in Thailand that I might actually want to print, and hang on my wall. Everything “just worked”. :slight_smile:

Oh, and one minor issue - in a small size, it doesn’t “work”. Full screen on my display, and I love it. It’s just not a very impressive photo unless it’s big enough to see all the detail.

Oh, and considering I went to all the expense to get a D2x, I ought to have shot in ‘raw’. I didn’t start using ‘raw’ until I bought my D3. Dumb mistake, too much ignorance, as is often the case for me.

2 Likes