Travel laptop for processing / export using Photolab

I am looking to replace my heavy laptop with something much lighter which I could use for culling and limited processing while travelling.

When not travelling I would be using my desktop PC.

The latest Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 appeals with 16GB Ram 1TB HD and AMD Ryzen 7 7730U processor and AMD Radeon Graphics.

Does anyone have experience using a lightweight laptop with Photolab?

I use a 16" MacBook Pro and connect it to a 27" Apple display at home.

1 Like

I use an old one that is no use for exports as it lacks a real disply processer. I do as you whant to do ending with a basic edit to be finished on the desk pc. I keep the current year on the laptop and copy the results to the desk pc. When done on the desk pc these are copied back to the laptop. Copys are done using Syncovery. I dont use PL as DAM ( I use Photo Supreme) and have never had any problems doing this.

I don’t, but I did recently buy a new laptop with a view to using it to process photos and that meant investing in a machine with a screen capable of displaying the full sRGB gamut. I doubt a 2in 1 device will have such a screen.

M1 MacBook Air from 2020. Works like a charm.

1 Like

I haven’t had a desktop system for almost 10 years now.

My daily-driver and travel machine are the same box. At home I use a docking station to connect a great 4k 32"/80cm monitor and keyboard/mouse combo.

A Lenovo 5i slim with an RTX 4070 graphics chip and 1Tb/16Gb of ssd/ram can be had for somewhat less than US$1500.

Thanks for the advice, just to let you know, I went for the Lenova Yoga Slim 7 Pro. Clearance model, GBP 799. Happy with it so far.

RAM 32GB
Storage 1TB m.2
Video Card RTX 3050
Monitor 14.5" 3K (3072x1920) IPS 400nits Anti-glare)

What sort of battery life do you get? I have a Lenovo LOQ and the battery life is very poor.

Battery life seems ok to me but I did buy an Inui Powerbank 65W to give me some extra time on battery.

I also use a 16" MacBook Pro. And I never cease to be amazed by the number of serious photographers who still use Windows machines. MacBook Pros are more expensive but they just work. I’ve had my current version, a 2019 machine, and never a problem. Not once. After extensive daily use, it’s as reliable as the day I bought it. Do yourself a favor and step up. Screens are better too.

I never cease to be amazed by the number of serious photographers who continue to use over priced Macs. :slight_smile: Seriously, though, I have a Windows desktop purchased in 2016 that has also never had a problem and just works. It has been incredibly reliable since the day I purchased it around 8 years ago. Reliability is not just the purview of Macs.

I can also upgrade my Windows machine with new OS versions and hardware and have never run into a problem with either very old or very new software versions not being compatible. I have access to far more software titles than are available for Macs… and the cost to purchase is far less then Macs as well as being much less expensive to upgrade components. I don’t normally take the time to compare Macs to Windows PCs. They are two different approaches. Users should get whichever platform gives them greater personal satisfaction.

A computer is, after all, a tool to get specific tasks accomplished. The platform is fairly irrelevant if the hardware and software components meet the user’s personal requirements and accomplishes the goals expected of it. However be aware there are reasons why Macs are less then 16% of the desktop and laptop market and Windows PCs are around 72% of the market, and price is only one of the factors. There are other reasons why I don’t use Macs (or iPhones either). but, chief among them is an intense dislike of the user interface and the limited configuration options.

Mark

1 Like

I never cease to be amazed by Mac users who look down on users of other operating systems.

I am a very happy Windows user and have been for decades. I have no desire to be locked into a single manufacturer, limited software and restricted upgrade options. Also at my advanced years I have no desire to ditch an operating system I know inside out and spend time on a new learning curve.

I would never attempt to persuade a Mac user to switch to Windows and respect for many it’s their preferred choice. Please don’t rubbish my choice.

I never cease to be amazed by the UI of my GNU/Linux (Ubuntu & Android) machines. That said, I would love it, if the DxO products are also available on Linux (except ofc Pure raw - I don’t have Adobe products). Should be easy as it’s not that different to MacOS (BSD).

PS: I only (dual) boot on my Windows laptop for DxO and Rhino (CAD).

Adobe semi-officially said in 2022 that it has no plans to port Lightroom or Photoshop to Linux. The Linux desktop market, although quite loud, is simply too small for paid image processing software. With Linux server software the story is very different (e.g. Oracle DB).

Ha ha ha,

Well I was using Windows laptop with Optics Pro/Photolab for last 10 years.
Last December, I decided to get a new laptop and what a surprise it was to find there is literary no more 14" laptops with full size SD slot (apart of super expensive Dell XPS) on market…
Well, it was already some time I was considering to experience Mac, and I decided to go for it… Got 14"MBPM3Pro. I know it is literally no upgradeable, but well. last laptop I was not upgrading for 10 years, I expect from Mac the same.

After half year, I can conclude this machine is really fantastic for creative work like photography. The negative side of having MAC is limited software and… it’s price…

The target market is 99% sRGB. You can use Mac or Win for that. Adapt.