Tools: How to shut them OFF?!

Hi,

Long time Lr user. Trying to get on board with DXO. So far, mostly good. But I cant seem to figure out how to shut off tools once I start using them? They seem to persist across button presses. Loosing my mind…

I played around with the Gradient tool. Got it mostly figured out. Except every time I place my cursor on the image its running the Gradient tool. Clicked a bunch of buttons and its still stuck. Are u supposed to close the program everytime you make an adjustment? /s

Noticed a similar behavior with the clone tool but clicking on that tool a second time shuts it off (spent 5 minutes figuring this out) but, clicking the gradient tool does not shut it off ?

Frustrated

Thanks in advance for your help

You have a button next to each global tool to shut it off/on without loosing setting done on them.
Maybe it’s different in V7 with local adjustments ? You should have for them a slider from 0 to 100% intensity.

Thanks for the reply but the only button (slides left and right) I see are ones that turn the effect on and off?

I went and looked at how Lr handles this and the effect selected is turned off as soon as you move your curser off the image and onto another tool or button. The gradent tool in PL persists no matter what I seem to do, unless I do something like crop the image.

Then and only then does it go off…otherwise you can move to another panel and then the tool is still on when you put the cursor back onto the image - its stuck on. I dont see how to switch it off.

If you are talking about Local Adjustments, you turn the active tool off by pressing the Close button on the bottom left of the editing window…

Then, if you have finished with the local adjustments palette, click on the blue paintbrush at the top to deactivate it.

Esc key works on Win11 machines.

That does not exist in Windows … which is why we need a visible switch in the top bar instead of. Each time to click again on one of the small LA tool symbols is no solution.

1 Like

Thank you all for your quick replies! I am using Win10 and the esc key and for some odd reason pressing the button a second time now works to turn off the tool.

Its really odd and a little disquieting that it didnt work like this before I tried it again tonight. I would normally be second guessing myself and think “pilot error” on my earlier experience - except I had this weird anomaly happen just now with the crop tool.

I opened it up and the screen crop dialog appeared. Except the guidelines didn’t show and I was not able to grab any side of the image. Only after I changed the ratio from “original” to unconstrained did the guidelines appear and the tool become functional. I tried closing it (there’s an actual “close button” ) and reopening. This time the tool worked as expected (except it reverted back to “Original” Aspect Ratio instead of keeping Unconstrained as I had left it (is there a way to make the tools re-open as you left them??)

I am starting to wonder if this SW is half baked? It gets such great press and reviews, but it seems to misbehave sometimes in the 24 hours I have used it? I really want it to work as I am the original Adobe Subscription protester…been using Lr 6.4 as all my
RAW capable camera bodies all worked with it. I just got a new Fuji (I m a Fuji guy) and need to make a change to Lr Classic (my least favored option) or DXO or ??

What you observed [also] happens with Crop [deactivated and Correction] set to “Manual”
grafik

… which is called “automatically” with the preset “6 - No correction”.
( to check out, activate the crop tool e.g. from the top bar and apply different presets )

[= edit]

Still can live with that, but …

Drag the crop rectangle to see what it will look like, decide to leave it as is and press < ESC >. Instead of returning to the previous state, the (unfinished/unwanted) cropping gets applied.

THIS REVERSES THE STANDARD of simply exiting the last action functions.

< ESC > is no an abbreviation/replacement for < ENTER >
( and does not save pressing a key ).

@DxO_Support-Team

1 Like

Hi Wolfgang, yes it is mind boggling that this behaviour still exists after all this time. DXO obviously believe that standards don’t apply to them.

Thanks for that. You’ll forgive me but I am not sure what you are saying :

“… which is called “automatically” with the preset “6 - No correction”.
( to check out, activate the crop tool e.g. from the top bar and apply different presets )”

Click < Apply preset > in the top right corner to open the General purpose presets.

In Customize mode with Geometry TAB active
Screen Shot 07-12-24 at 10.01 PM 001

open the top bar crop tool to then apply

• preset 1 or 2 (same with 4 or 5)
    Screen Shot 07-12-24 at 09.53 PM
    the Crop tool is active with Correction set to “Auto based …” / Aspect ratio to “Original”
    and you see the dotted lines on your pic

• preset “3 - Optical corrections only”
    Screen Shot 07-12-24 at 10.14 PM
    the Crop tool is deactivated with Correction set to “Auto based …” / Aspect ratio to “Original” and the dotted lines are hidden

• preset “6 - No correction”
    Screen Shot 07-12-24 at 08.44 AM
    the Crop tool is deactivated with Correction set to “Manual” / Aspect ratio to “Original” and the dotted lines are hidden

Play with those settings to get a bit more familiar with.

1 Like