Tint control for non-raw images

AFP version 2 has non-destructive RAW editing:

1 Like

I usually keep the film-strip UI hidden, so I didn’t realise I could adjust multiple images at once – good to know! I also just learnt that it can be separated into another window.

It sounds like this would produce dark images, at least until adjustment in post. Would setting exposure compensation 1–2 stops down roughly accomplish this, or can AE metering commonly be configured to expose for highlights rather than midtones?

I’ve not made the upgrade from V1 yet, but that’s quite impressive. The linked mode in particular puts Affinity Photo so much closer to competing with PhotoLab and co. I do hope Serif is working on a full competitor.

It can sound counterintuitive but, trust me, it works. But, yes, you will (almost) always have to alter the tone curve in post.

The process is…

1. set the camera to manual everything - the lowest ISO you can get away with and WB of 5600K
  2. spot meter the brightest part of the whole scene (even if you plan on multiple shots for stitching)
    On the meter scale, set the pointer to +2EV
  3. take all your shots at this exposure. There should be no need to remeasure for each one.
  4. open the images in PL, select all and adjust the WB, SmartLighting and Tone Curve to be the same for them all. You will need to bring out shadow detail but make sure you use the same curve for all - possibly work on one and then copy the adjustments.
  5. export to TIFF 16bit and open those files in your stitching app (I use Affinity Photo 2)
2 Likes