There is this old, abandoned, eerie nursing home near Vienna/Austria. S/W & Color

B/W

Color

5 Likes

@Klick , I like the first pic. :+1:

1 Like

Nice set indeed :+1: - on a few the processing is a bit aggressive for my liking. A great project though

1 Like

Agreed. @Klick is there any chance you could make available the original and DOP for the first one and we can try to demonstrate how to get rid of the “HDR with halos” look? Unless that is intentional, of course.

Thank you for your feedback!

Yes, I admit, I sometimes work hard on the edge, so to speak. :wink: But it’s always fun and the editing can be changed at any time.

@Joanna : Of course, Joanna. I’ll look for the files. You are welcome to experiment with them.

So, here come the files:

_DSX0598.NEF (25,9 MB)
_DSX0598.NEF.dop (11,1 KB)

I took the pictures with my very old D3X - so that it wouldn’t get rusty. (Electronics can also age. 
)

OK. Finally found the time to have a go

2 Likes

Thank you @Joanna , an interesting variation. You show the motif in a rather “factual”, “documentary” way.
Of course, my version is exaggerated, but when I saw the “glow” I liked it quite a bit and I wanted to emphasize the foreground on the ground.
Your processing also shows a certain desolation well, which fits well.

I almost never like over-processed images, but in your series, I really like it, it somehow fits the surreal location, like your running around on some overdose in that clinic.

1 Like

I think, the initial halos were caused by the opposite sliders
grafik

converted in Nik SEP 7

also with focus on the foreground but overall less dark than your version

Gee, someone else here shooting with a D3, but I think the “x” had 24 megapixels or so.

Curious - looking at the “HDR with halos”, to me it looks like you deliberately made things “glow”. Part of me thinks that is damaging the effect of the image, but another part of me thinks it is very effective in making your images, well, glow. Lots of images have some very effective editing - like you’re trying to make a “dead” image into something that is “alive”.

There are three versions of the D3, the D3 that came first, a D3x, and a D3s. I was just watching a YouTube video about them a few days ago. My D3 was one of the very first batch of D3 cameras that was going to arrive at B&H camera in NYC. I ordered it sight unseen, just as I had with the D2h/D2x fiasco. I love this camera much more than I probably ought to; I’ve probably used it more than any other camera I’ve ever owned.

I was going to leave some comments about the other photos – one that stood out was the painting hanging on an angle on a wall. I liked all the other images more than that one. I had the feeling you were shooting through cob-webs to capture the images. Very nice!!!

Original image:

@Joanna:

@Wolfgang

For a properly exposed, technically correct image, I think Joanna and Wolfgang improved the original

but the original version almost looks three dimensional. I like it the most, far more interesting for me to look at. By comparison, the other two versions are “boring”. To me.

There is no right or wrong. That’s how different tastes are. :wink:

Thank you, Wolfgang. Yes, it is very possible that the halos were caused by the selective sliders. Even though they weren’t intentional, I like them. :wink:

And that is what is important :smiley:

1 Like

So, I couldn’t resist. If you want “artistic”, try messing around with the Tone Curve

to give

Negative shadows? :crazy_face:

Ah yes, I remember seeing this idea in a DxO video by Dan Hughes. Something I hadn’t remembered. Thanks for the food for thought! :+1: Even if it is a little ‘heavy’ :wink: , it is an interesting approach.