Thailand, using boats as "water trucks"

The owner of the hotel I stayed at in Thailand invited me to come with him to check out an island he was thinking of developing. We had a wait of an hour or so, meaning I got to wander around with my D2x. I found this scene, where they were transferring things from a truck to a boat, to deliver them. I took several photos, but only got this one “action” photo.

In retrospect, the D2x at the time was a very expensive camera, as good as anything else available at the time. Nowadays people see that it has a crop sensor, and only 12 megs, but back then, that was the most advanced camera I knew of. I still have it, but I prefer my full-frame D3, not that any of them can technically keep up with “modern day cameras”. Back then, it was the best camera I owned.

It took forever to get a view that I enjoyed. Not sure if this image is arranged properly, but back then I did make an effort to “fill the sensor”, so as to not waste megapixels. It might look overly bright and saturated, but on clear, sunny days, everything looked that way.

I cropped the bottom of the photo, and then cropped the right side of the photo, but eventually went back the full image, no cropping. I’ll post the original jpg image, and the .dop file if anyone wants to edit it differently. Technically, I think it looks better cropped…maybe.

MM2_5357.JPG.dop (13.9 KB)

Cropped version:

1 Like

Just a coincidence, or fate, or ??? I just found this video:
“The D2x is Making a Comeback in 2024”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uicn_26RswQ

Joanna will either smile, or just laugh!
Me? While there are limitations, the $5,000 D2x can now be bought for around $200.

It’s an enjoyable video.

@mikemyers , in the sky of these pics there you can see a dirt particle on the sensor. Do you think, the pic would get an improvement if removing this dirt? Using DxO this would be easy to do.

Thank you.

Perhaps I need new glasses - or more concentration.

Dust spot corrected - but it’s also likely on all my photos from that day…

@mikemyers , thank you very much, now it’s much better. Spots have the disadvantage that they always capture the gaze of the eye. I check my sensor for cleanliness before every major photo shoot. The time I take to do this is saved in post-processing.

Fortunately, my D780 automatically cleans the sensor when I turn the camera on.

I know what you mean. I must be getting lazy, to have missed this. :slight_smile:

What does it have to do with DPL?
@DxO , could you plese react?

@Wlodek , for sure, this has something to do with DxO, because if there is a dirty spot on the sensor, it can be corrected in the image very easily by using the correction tool in DxO. I’m using this very often.

As @HGF pointed out, I used the PhotoLab ReTouch tool to correct the dust speck.
My fault for not having done that long ago; no excuse. Guilty (and feeling foolish).

Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 16.19.41