Support for Nikon Zf

The new Nikon Zf is in users’ hands now (I have mine). How soon can we expect it to be supported by PhotoLab 7?

It has the same sensor as the Z6 and Z6 II. Isn’t there some way to force PL7 to use one of those modules?

Nikon ZF support is scheduled for December.

1 Like

And will there be support for the pixel shift files, which have a different file ending: *.NEFX ?

Franky, how do you know this?

I know where to watch, here :wink:

2 Likes

It’s in the DxO database of supported cameras and lenses. It will be supported in December.

Mark

That is unknown at this point. However, based on past experience, I am guessing that even if they ultimately are able to support pixel shift files, they probably won’t be supported by December.

After further thought, aren’t the pixel shift files multiple individual RAW files that are combined in NX Studio? If you have 8, 16, or 32 of them before combining them, I’m wondering how one would best edit them individually since they would ultimately overlay each other. I would think that unless you made the exact same changes to all of them, the ones that were different might stand out like the sore thumb in the final composite version

Mark

You would not edit the individual files before, the combined file is a new file that typically does not require any Bayer interpolation, as each pixel will contain the three colors from the shifts. It would be closer to a linear dng file I guess. I don’t know how PL handles those, does it support any pixel shift files from other manufacturers?

even exact same changes in UI does not meant the final output ( tiff or linear DNG) will be good for combining them w/ a needed sensel-level precision further down pipeline - not to mention that NX probably need the original raws to combine ?

worse case scenario ACR/LR support it and that means you can make DNG ( linear as the source is demosaicked already ) and that can be fed to DxO ( naturally as with any demosaicked files DxO will not let you do their best NR, etc - but the rest is like with any linear DNG round-tripped to DxO PL from DxO PL)

I am speaking out of pure ignorance on this, but what you say seems logical.

Mark

Is the final output from NX Studio a Tiff or Jpeg, or does NX Studio combine them as a DNG file? In any case if you are talking about editing the combined output from NX studio in PhotoLab, support of this new raw format would be irrelevant, wouldn’t it?

Mark

The output is some proprietary file format, I don’t know what it is exactly. It might be similar to a tiff with a proprietary compression. But you are right, I did not think of that, it should be possible to convert it to a tiff or jpg and simply work on that file.

When editing a Nikon .NEF raw file you can export as jpeg or 8 or 16-bit tiff. In my Zf trials so far I’ve been exporting 16-bit tiffs for further editing in PL7.

Keep in mind that if you were to use the maximum selection of 32 images, process them in NX Studio, and export them as a tiff file, the resulting file size could be extremely large.

Mark

Yep, I’m sure that is true.

Thanks. I was not aware of that web page.

It doesn’t have the same sensor as Z6/Z6II. The sensor supports focusing in less light and pixel shift.

you can use IBIS to shift the same sensor to achieve pixel-shift … sometimes it is done just with a firmware to make it appear in a camera that was released w/o :slight_smile:

as for focusing in less light - increase signal integration time and here we go

Nikon does not have money to order a variety of new sensors from Sony Semi

A Nikon employee answered this when asked when the Zf was presented: Z6/Z6II have different sensors than the Zf.